Are there any forumites on board that are members of any of the area volunteer rescue squads?

CRHS89

How scary for you and probably for your son as well! I think it is good that you confronted her. Hopefully it made an impression so that next time she will handle a similar situation differently. I hope your son is doing ok.

NOTSMC

How scary for you and probably for your son as well! I think it is good that you confronted her. Hopefully it made an impression so that next time she will handle a similar situation differently. I hope your son is doing ok.
Thank you for your kindness.

Last edited:

Clem72

Demand answers, J...keeping in mind that so many of our emergency service personnel are volunteers (and we need them!) , there will always be some that don't know protocols, or worse, make them up on the spot.
Are our state troopers volunteer as well?

Clem72

Have not seen any of them running an ambulance from any of the VRS locations, so I'm guessing "not".
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

NOTSMC

Demand answers, J...keeping in mind that so many of our emergency service personnel are volunteers (and we need them!) , there will always be some that don't know protocols, or worse, make them up on the spot.
Jennifer Aubert-Utz is the Director of Emergency Services the face book page says the phone # is 301 475-4200. Or ask one of your commissioners (there are at least two that are members on this forum).
So I called and just got off the phone with them. Gotta tell you, I was blown away with the response I got. Talked to one of the supervisors, an incident report was started, and he said it was a failure on their part, and they intend to review their policies/protocol and pass their findings on to members of the rescue squad. And he said that unquestionably that support personnel for special needs patients should be allowed to ride along with the patient. That's all I was really looking for

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So I called and just got off the phone with them. Gotta tell you, I was blown away with the response I got. Talked to one of the supervisors, an incident report was started, and he said it was a failure on their part, and they intend to review their policies/protocol and pass their findings on to members of the rescue squad. And he said that unquestionably that support personnel for special needs patients should be allowed to ride along with the patient. That's all I was really looking for
This is exactly what needed to happen. It's great that you voiced your concerns and that they were validated by the offending party. Hopefully future similar incidents will be handled with grace with the patient and the family/caregivers.

TPD

the poor dad
We have been so ingrained in this country to do everything by-the-boo-or-else-there-will-be-a-lawsuit, that we have thrown all commonsense out the door. Crap like this infuriates me because the average Joe (no pun NOTSMC) can clearly see what should have taken place in this instance. But no, training dictates that absolutely no one besides the patient and EMT personnel are allowed inside the ambulance, because God forbid, if we hit a bump and the passenger stubs his toe, then we will be paying out millions in claims for stubbed toe.

And don't get me started on why we can't find enough volunteers now to run our ambulances and fire trucks!! What happened to the days of simply stabilizing the patient and getting them to the emergency room as quickly as possible? No no, that's no longer good enough - we have to require the volunteer to attend 157 hours of training to practically become a doctor before they can get near an ambulance to treat a cut or broken bone. And even after 157 hours of training, the helicopter is still called for a broken finger nail, because? Yup, we don't want a lawsuit for putting them in the ambulance for a 25 minute ride to a hospital that can't treat a broken finger nail. The more advanced we get, the further we seem to fall behind.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
And even after 157 hours of training, the helicopter is still called for a broken finger nail, because? Yup, we don't want a lawsuit for putting them in the ambulance for a 25 minute ride to a hospital that can't treat a broken finger nail. The more advanced we get, the further we seem to fall behind.

I swear they overuse that helicopter so much, they must be trying to pay it off early.

Hospitals used to do the same thing with every new expensive piece of equipment.

Everybody’s gotta have an x-ray… Then Everybody’s gotta have a CAT scan… Now everybody’s gotta have an MRI…

Oh wait we have these 300 blood tests we have to run…

Reactions: TPD

NOTSMC

We have been so ingrained in this country to do everything by-the-boo-or-else-there-will-be-a-lawsuit, that we have thrown all commonsense out the door. Crap like this infuriates me because the average Joe (no pun NOTSMC) can clearly see what should have taken place in this instance. But no, training dictates that absolutely no one besides the patient and EMT personnel are allowed inside the ambulance, because God forbid, if we hit a bump and the passenger stubs his toe, then we will be paying out millions in claims for stubbed toe.

And don't get me started on why we can't find enough volunteers now to run our ambulances and fire trucks!! What happened to the days of simply stabilizing the patient and getting them to the emergency room as quickly as possible? No no, that's no longer good enough - we have to require the volunteer to attend 157 hours of training to practically become a doctor before they can get near an ambulance to treat a cut or broken bone. And even after 157 hours of training, the helicopter is still called for a broken finger nail, because? Yup, we don't want a lawsuit for putting them in the ambulance for a 25 minute ride to a hospital that can't treat a broken finger nail. The more advanced we get, the further we seem to fall behind.
I'm still so grateful for their services. They do things I'd be too panicked to do.

Reactions: TPD