Are vitamin supplements beneficial?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Survey says: Nope

I think most things are a scam, especially if they're heavily promoted and advertised (like dietary supplements). If you eat like an adult and don't subsist solely on fast food and pizza, you should get all the nutrients you need. And yet dietary supplements are a multi-billion $$$ industry.

I think about all those small business owners who, back when I worked at Ch10, insisted that "advertising doesn't work". Most, if not all, of them are gone now but dietary supplements are experiencing a growth market.

:lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Vitamins can be beneficial if you have a deficiency, but can be harmful if you just take vitamins for the sake of taking them.

I had a vitamin D deficiency, doc told me to supplement. I figured, ok, I'll just take a men's multi-vitamin. That's a good thing, right? Next visit my potassium levels were at unsafe levels. Took a while to figure out it was from the multi-vitamin. Stopped taking those, took only what the doc said I needed and all was right with the world.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I do supplement, but that is due to malabsorption in the wake of my cancer surgery 7 years ago.

UglyBear

As @Sneakers said, if your diet is deficient in something, a good multi-vitamin will do good.
So my Mrs recently started taking GNC one-a-day for women. Dang, it’s magic — like she is 20 years younger! More energy, brain fog gone, eyes got that sparkle back, and yeah :jet:.
I keep studying the ingredients, and am about to ask my buddy from FDA to run elementary analysis, cause it must be meth.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For you consideration ...

yeah I take 6000 units of Vit D everyday
To all:

If you are taking Vitamin D you must also supplement with Vitamin K2 in this ratio; if taking 10000 IU of D take 100 mcg of K2. If not, you could end up with too much calcium in your blood, deposited in your tissues and arteries, and could develop hypercalcemia. Vitamin D is a carrier of calcium, Vitamin K2 tells your body where to put it, where it belongs, in your bones and teeth.