Are you in a hateful church?

seekeroftruth

1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God[a] is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.
9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister[b] is still in the darkness. 10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister[c] lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

a. 1 John 2:5 Or word, God’s love
b. 1 John 2:9 The Greek word for brother or sister (adelphos) refers here to a believer, whether man or woman, as part of God’s family; also in verse 11; and in 3:15, 17; 4:20; 5:16.
c. 1 John 2:10 The Greek word for brother and sister (adelphos) refers here to a believer, whether man or woman, as part of God’s family; also in 3:10; 4:20, 21

The commentaries are all playing "new word of the day". This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

Propitiation has the idea of presenting a gift to the gods, so as to turn away the displeasure of the gods. The Greeks thought of this in the sense of man essentially bribing the gods into doing favors for man. But in the Christian idea of propitiation, God Himself presents Himself (in Jesus Christ) as that which will turn away His righteous wrath against our sin.​
And this is from the same site.

And not for ours only but also for the whole world: Though Jesus made His propitiation for the whole world, yet the whole world is not saved and in fellowship with God. This is because atonement does not equal forgiveness. The Old Testament Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16:34) demonstrates this, when the sin of all Israel was atoned for every year at the day of Atonement, yet not all of Israel was saved.​
And this too....

But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness: The point is plain. If we lose love then we lose everything. There is nothing left. You can do all the right things, believe all the right truths, but if you do not love other Christians then all is lost. The three tests- moral, doctrinal, and love- all stand together, like the legs on a three-legged stool
Does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes: Knowing the importance that Jesus placed on our love for each other, John will go so far as to say that if we hate our brother, we are walking in darkness, and are unable to see- we have been blinded.

Recently I visited a brick and mortar church. The men in the church were all wearing a gun on their hip. Yep.... it was a regular Sunday morning.... and they were wearing their guns in church.

Recently I visited a couple of "Christians" social media pages.... these pages was established during the election and carried on up until the first of February. I guess they are still going out there.... somewhere in facebook land.... but they all turned to hate thinly disguised as "helpful conversation".

These "Christians" social media pages had names like "Christians against ___" or "Christians for ____". These were political entities.... and the arguments, according to the thousands of posts each day in the "Christians" sites, made their way into the church and they were preaching politics in the church on any given Sunday. Preachers were saying.... we'll vote for this guy because he's "chosen" or we'll vote for that guy because he's "nicer". Fact is.... both sides were claiming to be "persecuted" because of their opinions about the political entity advertised by the preacher or priest of the local church.

I'm an old woman.... with an online NIV Bible and some online commentary. In fact my name is "Becky" and I am freckle faced. I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church... but I have visited all kinds of churches all over the Nation. I'm a pro-life bible thumping woman who has tried to have people fired from their jobs because of their sexual preferences. I have been a self righteous witch in an effort to make people think the "right" way. I've been a blithering idiot about some things.... and I can truthfully say I think all the contemptable things I have done and said in the name of "Christian Living" have been down right ungodly and I learned them in church!

Not too long ago... the news was full of "____ lives matter". It seems that the argument on each side would put their own color or creed in that statement..... "black"... "blue".... "all"..... but they were all said with a sneer.... a contradictory sneer. If the "__ lives matter" wouldn't it be evident in loving action rather than a hateful phrase thrown at people with a scowl?

The church was a mess way back when John was sitting in Ephesus writing to the churches.

John said, in the first page of this letter... there were people in the church claiming to be teachers or preachers. They were teaching and preaching that Jesus was not human. The Son of God, in their opinion, could not go to the Cross.... so Jesus couldn't have been a human. John said they were dead wrong.

John was the best human friend of Jesus the Messiah. Jesus the Messiah was a human who lived a perfect life. Jesus showed compassion for everyone He came across. He was even a kind man when He was being arrested.... He stopped and healed the ear that Peter lopped off one of the guards. Jesus was a good man who left a great example by living a sinless life. I'm sure He wanted to take Herod to hell.... but He didn't. I'm sure He would have loved to laugh right out loud at Pilate... who genuinely thought he was in control of Jesus' fate. But Jesus was kind and respectful.

John was the best human friend of Jesus the Messiah. John told people.... being a Christian is being Christ Like..... it's a natural occurrence.... once you become a Christian.... putting your faith in Jesus.... it's natural to become aware of how your actions affect other people.

I'm sorry for the stuff I have done in the name of "Christian" as taught by my "church". I avoid brick and mortar churches now.... I don't want to be shot while worshipping..... especially by a "fellow Christian" because I don't hate the right group.

John says the church is not acting like a church..... the church was hateful even in John's day.

Are you in a hateful church?

☕