Armed Officers at Schools?

seven

Is this guy a police officer, or a rent-a-cop with a fansy title? If the latter, he does whatever his contract stipulates.

School Resource Officer is what they are calling him. Assuming he is a cop if the Sheriff suspended him.

seven

Right, but what is he beyond that title? Is he employed by the county or state as an official police officer on loan or in a second job? Or a rent-a-cop?

I added to my previous post.

A Rent-A-Cop place didn't suspend him. The Sheriff did. So I assume he is an officer.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Looks like the Sheriff has his scapegoat and is playing it up for more money.

One SRO at what appears to be a sprawling campus with multiple buildings and courtyards, about 3,000 students and staff. Is the SRO patrolling or setup in the admin building? The incident from start to finish took about 6 minutes. What info did he have as to what the threat was, where it was, and what were the procedures he was to follow in an active shooting scenario?

seven

One SRO at what appears to be a sprawling campus with multiple buildings and courtyards, about 3,000 students and staff. Is the SRO patrolling or setup in the admin building? The incident from start to finish took about 6 minutes. What info did he have as to what the threat was, where it was, and what were the procedures he was to follow in an active shooting scenario?

Well they had video of his actions so apparently they saw him run and hide.

seven

This is from the link I already posted.

"After seeing video and witness statements, and Peterson's own statement, I decided this morning ... to suspend Scot Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation," Israel said, adding that Peterson chose to then resign and retire.

Midnightrider

Taken from another forum, I have seen the same sentiment shared by several claiming to be Leo there....

Here is some info because a few people are talking out their arse

I can't imagine a large department like that NOT having active shooter training... In the last 5 years I have had it at 2 different agencies (one a 1500 person agency and one about 250 person agency).

At an active shooter situation you GO in by yourself and engage the threat. You have to stop the carnage..It is time to punch in and go to work on a call like that...

Glad the deputy resigned, hopefully he/she will never work in LE again...that is disgraceful..

black dog

Free America
Warren does not apply to this case. The officer was on the scene and aware a crime was being committed. This has nothing to go with protecting anyone.

The Supreme Court has ruled that the police have a duty to protect the public at large, but not to protect individuals. So while they may will probably show up, eventually, they might not intervene. There have been a couple cases recently in the US where police stood by and watched people drown, even in one case preventing would be rescuers from helping. So, there's definitely no requirement for them to unduly put themselves at risk.

I just spent 30 min in our towns asst police chiefs living room, we discussed this exact conversation that we are having here and his response was.
Under the law they have no responsibility to protect , move forward to engage with a shooter, rapist, bank robber or any crime being committed.
Now with that being said, our City Police Dept takes a oath like many other PD, in our city's oath has in it that they will move forward towards the criminal, if they don't corrective action with that officer will happen. As to what happens to the officer, it's never happened here as of yet.

BernieP

Resident PIA
A re-play of Columbine. SRO was off munching a sandwich when the attack happened.

they are not robots, they do deserve a food, water and potty break every so often.

The problem we are dealing with was stated by black dog, the logo on the side of the car, "To Protect and Serve" is misleading.
LE responds after the fact, when a law has been alleged to have been broken. That's not a knock, that's just the facts.
They cannot respond until something happens.
Had they seen the shooter on school grounds with a weapon, they could have intervened because schools are gun free zones.
Now had the FBI (HQ) sent the information they had to the Miami field office for investigation, they may have intercepted him before the shooting.
But they have to be careful reacting to tips, particularly from schools. See something, say something can be used to prank someone you don't like.
I'm sure you've heard the term "SWATing"?
And the story about the guy that was killed by SWAT

People with eyes on the situation, trained to deal with it, are far better than waiting for a responds to a call for help or even a response to a 'tip".

There are things that could be done without passing a law.
1. beef up electronic surveillance of the school and the area around the school - actually have someone monitor those camers
2. Alarm doors and windows to warn of a break in. Keep the doors locked. This is not a fire hazard as the push bar allows doors to be opened from the inside without unlocking.
3. Metal detectors / xray bags coming into the school
4. Have more than one person on as security - maybe even unarmed security who.

But a good deal of this falls on to the adults. They have to know the signs so they can raise their concern. But raise their concern in a way that does not ruin an innocent persons life.
Rather raise the concern with the intent on getting the person help.

Teachers, aids, advisers, bus drivers. All the adults that deal with kids should know the signs of someone who has a mental condition.

Midnightrider

The Supreme Court has ruled that the police have a duty to protect the public at large, but not to protect individuals. So while they may will probably show up, eventually, they might not intervene. There have been a couple cases recently in the US where police stood by and watched people drown, even in one case preventing would be rescuers from helping. So, there's definitely no requirement for them to unduly put themselves at risk.

I just spent 30 min in our towns asst police chiefs living room, we discussed this exact conversation that we are having here and his response was.
Under the law they have no responsibility to protect , move forward to engage with a shooter, rapist, bank robber or any crime being committed.
Now with that being said, our City Police Dept takes a oath like many other PD, in our city's oath has in it that they will move forward towards the criminal, if they don't corrective action with that officer will happen. As to what happens to the officer, it's never happened here as of yet.

Like I said, you Have been talking out your ass. After all that, like I said. It was his duty. If you take an oath you have a duty to uphold that oath.

officeguy

SROs are not really in the schools to protect the place from the external threat of an armed psychopath invading the school. They are there to deal with law enforcement problems that tend to come up within the school. In my experience, they try to be 'officer friendly' and make buddies with the students. That's probably a helpful personality trait when it comes to getting tips about who is selling weed in the parking lot or which mean girl is bullying some nerd on snapchat, when the poo hits the fan and the bullets fly, the school would probably be better served with some hard-charging door kicking city cop who spends most of his time on the warrant squad.

black dog

Free America
Like I said, you Have been talking out your ass. After all that, like I said. It was his duty. If you take an oath you have a duty to uphold that oath.

Talking out of my a$$... Lol... The key word is " IF "
Post the oath that every law enforcement agency in the US takes..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This is idea is nothing more than an the ever present pitch by the NRA to boost the sales for those it really advocates for ... gun manufacturers. It really is that simple ... naturally this makes it beyond the comprehension level of those on here. Advocating the arming of everyone is the best way to support continued gun sales ... continued high gun sales supports donations from gun manufacturers to the NRA ... and good ole Wayne gets to continue to travel in first class and chauffer driven SUVs with the windows so dark he won't see the graveyards that are filling up with the bodies of the victims of his advocacy ... after all, Wayne is just following Gilligan's mantra ... who gives a sh1t about the consequences as long as I get my piece of the pie ...

:shocking:

you are disturbed

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Seems his boss disagrees with you:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-shooting-sro-20180222-story.html

Seems the NRA disagrees with you as well:
(oh wait that is from 2013...oh well doesn't matter he gave the same damn speech today) http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/15/cpac-nra-wayne-lapierres-full-speech/2/

I was under the impression that the NRA's slogan for the ignorati was "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"...maybe Gilligan can enlighten us how that "good guy" stops the bad guy while cowering outside the building!?

Of course this is the same story we have seen played out over and over again. At a shooting in Wash state...two concealed carry "heroes" hid behind a stone wall while their fellow students were getting shot...in TX when that other 2A advocate was executing cops on the street....all the other law abiding 2a advocates were running away with their weapons strapped to their backs...

The only instance I am aware of where a civilian had any impact was at the church shooting in TX last fall...of course the shooter was already done slaughtering everyone...and the shooter should not have had the ability to buy the guns because he should have been flagged on the background check.

As for the idiotic idea of filling the school full of armed teachers (our incompetent President today advocated for 10-40% armed teachers), you morons don't want your tax dollars used to fix the heat in schools...your going to pay to have armed guards, teachers, or police marching down the halls of the schools? Come on...

This is idea is nothing more than an the ever present pitch by the NRA to boost the sales for those it really advocates for...gun manufacturers. It really is that simple...naturally this makes it beyond the comprehension level of those on here. Advocating the arming of everyone is the best way to support continued gun sales...continued high gun sales supports donations from gun manufacturers to the NRA...and good ole Wayne gets to continue to travel in first class and chauffer driven SUVs with the windows so dark he won't see the graveyards that are filling up with the bodies of the victims of his advocacy...after all, Wayne is just following Gilligan's mantra...who gives a sh1t about the consequences as long as I get my piece of the pie...

Tell me, please - what was Obama's solution to all the mass school shootings which happened while he was POTUS?

:tap:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I was up in Annapolis all day yesterday to meet with legislators for "Developmental Disabilities Day" and wasn't tuned in to the news, so I only heard this as "talking points" of the day. When I heard it, this is just what I was thinking! It's already been reported that the Sheriff was/is a big Hillary supporter (Broward County, FL-land of the hanging chad, so no surprise, there!) and I'm sensing he is trying to keep from having any blood on his hands. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear what the details of this whole situation turn out to be. :yay: