Arrington...

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Sure, I know he played for the Redskins for a few years, but what about his status now?

Is he still considered a premium linebacker? Will he help the Giants, or hurt them?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

Penn said:
Sure, I know he played for the Redskins for a few years, but what about his status now?

Is he still considered a premium linebacker? Will he help the Giants, or hurt them?

...here's what the Giants think of him;

Arrington agreed to a $49 million, seven-year deal

It doesn't say how much is guaranteed, which is the ONLY thing that means ANYTHING in NFL contracts.

Arrington is good enough, in the right sytstem, to make the pro bowl again. And that's the thing, the right system. Ray Lewis hasn't been heard of since they lost their two big tackles, Sargusa and Adams and the system went to a 3-4.

There isn't anyone, ANYONE in this league good enough to win games on their own, ever, which is the only goal. Favre, Elway, Singletary, Jim Brown, Montana, OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell, Jack Lambert, name one, name 'em all and every sinlge one who has excelled has had good to great teamates.

With Strahan and Umenyoria already, as dynamic, athletic havoc creators requiring double teams, attacking the corners, well, it would seem a natrual to turn LaVarr loose and let him play his game; freewheeling and instinctive. I don't know crap about how the Giants exect their linebackers to play, but that would seem to be the idea because there is no point in getting him to play a disciplined scheme.

They could end the season with three guys with double digit sacks. If Eli comes into his own, they're could be tough, very tough.

donbarzini said:
Buh-bye!!

What is Eastern Motor's gonna do now with him gone and Taylor going to jail?
Taylor is going to jail? They had the trial already? I missed it. Last I heard, I thought it was postponed. Link?

Otter

Nothing to see here
huntr1 said:
Taylor is going to jail? They had the trial already? I missed it. Last I heard, I thought it was postponed. Link?

Naaaa, postponed til next month..

Nupe2

Does anybody here think that Arrington has lost a step or 2? If you see video of his interception in the playoff game with Tampa Bay he looked very slow. I didn't look like he was trying to pick up blocking, he just looked slow. I've also heard that his Doctor's opinion is that he will never regain the speed he had before the injuries to his knees. Don't know if that's true but it seems reasonable given the length of time it took him to get back on the field, G. Williams notwithstanding.

I think the Giants could be tough this year but we've got some weapons to counteract their defense. The true test will come as it always does, in the trenches. If the skin's quaterback doesn't have time to throw, it won't matter how many receivers they put into the pattern....gotta block them studs on the D-Line, etc.!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree...

Nupe2 said:
Does anybody here think that Arrington has lost a step or 2? If you see video of his interception in the playoff game with Tampa Bay he looked very slow. I didn't look like he was trying to pick up blocking, he just looked slow. I've also heard that his Doctor's opinion is that he will never regain the speed he had before the injuries to his knees. Don't know if that's true but it seems reasonable given the length of time it took him to get back on the field, G. Williams notwithstanding.

I think the Giants could be tough this year but we've got some weapons to counteract their defense. The true test will come as it always does, in the trenches. If the skin's quaterback doesn't have time to throw, it won't matter how many receivers they put into the pattern....gotta block them studs on the D-Line, etc.!

...I think he's a good 'step' slower, as these things go. He also fumbled on that play.

You read it here; Arrington will end Brunnels career a la Troy Aikmen.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
As everyone seems to be figuring out in the NFL, to take Arrington out of the play..... Run a fake handoff, and he's done..... All you have to do is run play action, and he will bite EVERY time... he has been like that for years... its his downfall... and the Skins run alot of play action... and truth be told, I think the Skins back will pick up their blocks on him very well.... he trys to run over blockers, not shed them, so one good pop to him, and he's out of the play... I dont think he will cause much trouble against the Skins... I really dont

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's not how it works...

Softballkid said:
As everyone seems to be figuring out in the NFL, to take Arrington out of the play..... Run a fake handoff, and he's done..... All you have to do is run play action, and he will bite EVERY time... he has been like that for years... its his downfall... and the Skins run alot of play action... and truth be told, I think the Skins back will pick up their blocks on him very well.... he trys to run over blockers, not shed them, so one good pop to him, and he's out of the play... I dont think he will cause much trouble against the Skins... I really dont

...you set guys up. You give them a certain look a few plays, say the TE goes at you, #56, looking like he's gonna go out for a pass but then tries to kick you out for a run play off tackle. If it works, fine if not, the seed is planted.

Then, on a critical 3rd down or whatever, late in the game, same look, LaVarr jumps it, looking for the run and the TE goes to the flat, 1st down, touchdown, whatever.

THAT is his flaw, awareness of the game situation. He doesn't need to jump a run play in that down and distance but, in his desire to make a dramatic, big play, he goes all out when all he needed to do was make SURE the TE didn't get to the flat.

Same thing against Tampa, game one last year on the goal line. He goes flying OVER Alstott trying to make the dramatic super hit when all he needed to do was get a piece of Alstott, at least get in the way, until help arrived. So, he goes flying, Alstott puts his head down and burrows towards the goal line. LaVarr had his stopped but passed up the good play to try and make it a great play.

I hope your right, he doesn't hurt us, but it won't be because he doesn't have the tools anymore.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:
You read it here; Arrington will end Brunnels career a la Troy Aikmen.

That may be...but you read this here; Arrington will be out of pro ball by 2008, probably playing less then half the games in 2006 and 2007.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think you're right...

otter said:
That may be...but you read this here; Arrington will be out of pro ball by 2008, probably playing less then half the games in 2006 and 2007.

...mostly, and I'd love to see the details of his contract (where the gauranteed money is) but he ain't going nowhere until he has a couple shots at Danny and Joe and Co.

He's not a durable, 10 year kinda guy. But he is a guy with a chip on his shoulder.