Arthiritis in your back/spine

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with arthiritis in my back? It seems to cause me pain all of the time, and the pain seems more intense after standing for a period of time, or, surprisingly, when lying down.

So, any ideas on the ways to minimize the pain, such as:

* the type of mattress to have (does a hard mattress work better than a soft mattress?)

* does physical therapy work (I tried it before for a slightly different issue and didn't get the relief I had hoped for. Perhaps I need to try it again)

* pain medication. What type works best for you?

* does cold compresses or heat therapy work to keep the pain level down?

Really....I am just looking for a few suggestions that I might be able to try to manage the pain. I've had previous back surgery that was really helpful, but this arthiritis is apparently something that can't be as easily fixed. :bawl:

Thanks in advance!

Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with arthiritis in my back? It seems to cause me pain all of the time, and the pain seems more intense after standing for a period of time, or, surprisingly, when lying down.

* the type of mattress to have (does a hard mattress work better than a soft mattress?)

* does physical therapy work (I tried it before for a slightly different issue and didn't get the relief I had hoped for. Perhaps I need to try it again)

Really....I am just looking for a few suggestions that I might be able to try to manage the pain. I've had previous back surgery that was really helpful, but this arthiritis is apparently something that can't be as easily fixed. :bawl:

Thanks in advance!

Right off the bat, I would say you should check into physical therapy again. I would think increasing the muscle strength in your back would help to support your bone structure. But you'd have to commit to sticking with an exercise routine even after you have completed your physical therapy sessions or else you'll be right back where you started. :ohwell: You should see if you can do so soon so that you can use your PT deductible against this year's cafeteria plan balance.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Right off the bat, I would say you should check into physical therapy again. I would think increasing the muscle strength in your back would help to support your bone structure. But you'd have to commit to sticking with an exercise routine even after you have completed your physical therapy sessions or else you'll be right back where you started. :ohwell: You should see if you can do so soon so that you can use your PT deductible against this year's cafeteria plan balance.
Well, that stinks.

I'll investigate PT again, as much as I hated it.

My biggest obstacle is continually picking up and loving on Baby Bubba. At 32 pounds, his weight is just enough to challenge my back, and the angle that I pick him up out of his crib doesn't help the situation.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Thanks in advance!

Actually I find a firm mattress better. Also, sounds weird, but use two or three pillows to sleep on (head). It was explained to me once about proper alignment, blood flow nonsense, but I can't remember, but I tried it. Was uncomfortable at first, but now I can really tell a difference if I don't sleep with the extra pillows.

Another thing that I was told, in the winter don't bathe/shower at night. Somehow it increases your chances of your back seizing up or locking up through the night. Odd but is a noticable difference.

Physical therapy - bah humbug. The only good I learned is moist heat. You can do that at home. Wash some towels - place in dryer til they are no longer soaking wet but still damp and radiating heat (or nuke in microwave if you have a big one - pull out and lay at an incline with the towels (big stack) underneath - awesome! :yay: The other thing is stretch everyday - exercise is pushing it - just stretch. Try it in the morning - at work after you've been sitting a while and before you go to bed.

Drugs - well, I have a whole pharmacy. The docs love me. But I don't take anything until it's absolutely unbearable. I figure I don't build up as much tolerance that way. Best thing in all honesty is flexeril which is a mild arse drug for the spasms and taking naproxysodium (sp?) I get the prescription strength on both.

Cold - bad - cold makes my back seize up more and I start spasming. Horrible horrible. Moist heat as I mentioned above, heating pad, the electric bed pad that's like an electric blanket but goes underneath your bottom sheet.

And here's the oddest thing - try to relax. I do a visualization technique that one of my bone surgeons taught me, to try and relax the muscles. If I am stressed out or worried, my tension increases the level of discomfort I am already experiencing.

Trust me I feel your pain, but I manage it really well - been doing so for years now.

Well, that stinks.

I'll investigate PT again, as much as I hated it.

My biggest obstacle is continually picking up and loving on Baby Bubba. At 32 pounds, his weight is just enough to challenge my back, and the angle that I pick him up out of his crib doesn't help the situation.

Bubba was the first thing that came to mind and the main reason I'm suggesting PT. If you read up on PT and it's benefits for arthritis, you will see the benefit of strengthing the muscles around the joints and bone structure.

The only good I learned is moist heat. You can do that at home. Wash some towels - place in dryer til they are no longer soaking wet but still damp and radiating heat (or nuke in microwave if you have a big one - pull out and lay at an incline with the towels (big stack) underneath - awesome! :yay:

Hot tubs, if you have access to one, help. I'd be lost without mine. I've also known some folks who were able to get a doctor's note for a tub, and deduct it as medical expense.

If I soak just before going to bed, I am more relaxed and sleep with much less discomfort.

But Kwillia is right.. you need to get the muscles toned back up. Therapy is a start, maybe a gym after that.

Hot tubs, if you have access to one, help. I'd be lost without mine. I've also known some folks who were able to get a doctor's note for a tub, and deduct it as medical expense.

If I soak just before going to bed, I am more relaxed and sleep with much less discomfort.

Ooooh... there ya go, BG... the medicinal hot tub...:clap:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

Thanks in advance!
My Neurologist sent me over to Nova Care by St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown (which a lot of insurance companies will pay for all or part of it if a doctor sends you over) and they did a marvelous job with me. I started out in the pool and then they put me "on land". I was really surprised how much posture has to do with how your back feels. I have several things wrong including Arthritis in my back and it makes a big difference. After you are done with therapy you can keep on going to Nova Care's after care program for only $5.00 a visit. I really thought they were great. I also found a pair of shoes that helped with my workouts - they are made by Curves - like Curves Workout Center - and they are made to help improve balance. I used to work out twice a week and I miss it so I still like to do what I can.

oldman

Lobster Land
Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with arthiritis in my back? It seems to cause me pain all of the time, and the pain seems more intense after standing for a period of time, or, surprisingly, when lying down. Thanks in advance!

I have a busted disc in my lower back, so not exactly the same, but I found a very firm mattress and pillows does help. Back pain of any sort is the worst and in my case lying down made it worse. I actually started recovery by sleeping on a firm sofa with my head up on one of the arms. Doesn't sound good but it worked for me. I was on some heavy drugs for a while to help the pain but as already suggested, building up surrounding muscles is natures way of treatment. Just take it slow. I feel for you.:smoochy:

devenny99

I have degenerative disk disease and arthritis in my back and I take heavy drugs for both. I use a heating pad also - the kind you put in the microwave. I have also started recently going to a chiropractor and have found that it really helps. The chiro I go to is Dr. Frank Alfano in LaPlata
(301-932-2100). I have gone to others and they didn't help, but he has really been working with me and has really helped me. My pain management doc is the one who suggested giving him a try. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well I have three crushed vertabrae, fused with no discs, at T7-T9 and herniated discs at L4, L5 and S1 and the only thing that has helped me over the years without three-times a week chiropractor visits is a regement of stretching exercises that I do nightly. Doing the stretching has allowed for me to reduce visits to the chiropractor to semi-annually. The stretches are a series of four different ones for each side that are held for a minimum of one minute each and take about 20 minutes to complete.

While they help I still experience significant discomfort after long drives or any activity where bending or lifting are involved. I think every back disorder is different and what has worked for any of us might or might not work for you. Just don't be afraid to keep trying when one treatment doesn't work. I continue my method because the only thing left other than them are drugs and surgery and I just don't want to risk coming out worse off than I am now or being doped up all the time.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Bubba is a big boy. Sit down and let him climb into your lap.

If you sleep on your side, stick a pillow between your knees. If you sleep on your back, try one under your knees.
Bubba might be a big boy, but he is still a baby - not quite 24 months old yet. He still requires snuggling time with his momma, and while he does have decent mobility (oh yeah he does!), he can't always climb in to my lap. I must lift him in and out of his crib, and lift him in and out of his car seat - these are my most challenging tasks. Even being on the floor with him playing is tough for me to get back up on my feet without cringing in pain.

Of course.....my pain is not constant - it fluctuates according to the day of the week it is, the wind direction, and whether or not there are re-runs on tv that night. :lol:

I'll try the pillow trick. I do use one now, but perhaps it isn't firm enough.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

But Kwillia is right.. you need to get the muscles toned back up. Therapy is a start, maybe a gym after that.
I've already investigated the "medical necessity" option, and I do have the authority of my insurance guy to do it. I just need to find the $$ to do it.

I used one while on vacation and it was VERY relaxing. :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My Neurologist sent me over to Nova Care by St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown (which a lot of insurance companies will pay for all or part of it if a doctor sends you over) and they did a marvelous job with me. I started out in the pool and then they put me "on land". I was really surprised how much posture has to do with how your back feels. I have several things wrong including Arthritis in my back and it makes a big difference. After you are done with therapy you can keep on going to Nova Care's after care program for only $5.00 a visit. I really thought they were great. I also found a pair of shoes that helped with my workouts - they are made by Curves - like Curves Workout Center - and they are made to help improve balance. I used to work out twice a week and I miss it so I still like to do what I can.
Thanks for the wonderful post! You've provided some really good suggestions - I"ll have to try them out.

I'll definitely have to try the shoes. It'd be nice to have a pair of really comfortable shoes that would also help my alignment and help with the pain.

Again, thanks!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Well I have three crushed vertabrae, fused with no discs, at T7-T9 and herniated discs at L4, L5 and S1 and the only thing that has helped me over the years without three-times a week chiropractor visits is a regement of stretching exercises that I do nightly. Doing the stretching has allowed for me to reduce visits to the chiropractor to semi-annually. The stretches are a series of four different ones for each side that are held for a minimum of one minute each and take about 20 minutes to complete.

While they help I still experience significant discomfort after long drives or any activity where bending or lifting are involved. I think every back disorder is different and what has worked for any of us might or might not work for you. Just don't be afraid to keep trying when one treatment doesn't work. I continue my method because the only thing left other than them are drugs and surgery and I just don't want to risk coming out worse off than I am now or being doped up all the time.
:smoochy:

Thanks! Can you elaborate on your stretching techniques, please?

bcp

In My Opinion
for me it gets worse when I lay or sit.
according to the therapist lady that was giving me this really great massage (no happy ending) it was because most of the things I did caused me to bend forward, so she gave me some things to do that made me bend my back backwards. Sleeping with a pillow under the small of the back causes you to bend this way also.
anyway, after a couple days of that, my back started to feel better and has been doing pretty good for the last couple months.

I've already investigated the "medical necessity" option, and I do have the authority of my insurance guy to do it. I just need to find the $$ to do it.

I used one while on vacation and it was VERY relaxing. :yay:

Small round portable 2 person hot tubs-inflatable soft side spas

There are a few of these portable softside tubs around, if you are truly interested. Less than $1000. I just came in from the tub, and I feel good. Ready for bed now.