Arthiritis in your back/spine

Sadysue

My grandmother has been suffering with arthritis in her back for years. The only thing that I noticed really helped her was a firm, pillow-top mattress. She doesn't complain about pain nearly as much since she started sleeping on it. I think hers is a Simmons Beauty Rest, but I would think any good quality mattress would work.

Good luck with your pain, I hope you find something that works for you.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I threw my back out (also picking up squirming little bundles of joy) to the point it was painful to do anything. I went to Henry Chiro and they did a wonderful job. Then my neck went. After MRIs I was told I had pinched nerves, arthritis and was missing a disk in between the two arthritic ones. Pain! Shooting down my shoulder to my finger tips.
Went back to Henry Chiro, Dr. Grimsley manipulated my neck, and back. Then PT, stretching and exercises. Unbelievably, this has worked so far. Definitely go try a Chiropractor.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Thus far I've already tried:

* chiropractor (waste of time and a lot of money)
* massage therapy (felt good, but did nothing to help my back)
* acupuncture (did virtually nothing to relieve the pain and was expensive)
* physical therapy (complete waste of a lot of time and offered very little help)
* pain medication ( like this option, but who wants to be heavily medicated all of the time? Besides...the pain was still there, just temporarily masked)
* steroid shots inthe spine (this was great, but you are limited in the number of shots you can get)
* meditation (who can sit still long enough for this? Not me)
* spine surgery/microdisctectomy (this helped tremendously. My doctor was fabulous and offered an amazing solution to one problem. This arthritis is another problem on top of my other spine issue and not so easily "fixed" with surgery)

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thus far I've already tried:

* chiropractor (waste of time and a lot of money)
* massage therapy (felt good, but did nothing to help my back)
* acupuncture (did virtually nothing to relieve the pain and was expensive)
* physical therapy (complete waste of a lot of time and offered very little help)
* pain medication ( like this option, but who wants to be heavily medicated all of the time? Besides...the pain was still there, just temporarily masked)
* steroid shots inthe spine (this was great, but you are limited in the number of shots you can get)
* meditation (who can sit still long enough for this? Not me)
* spine surgery/microdisctectomy (this helped tremendously. My doctor was fabulous and offered an amazing solution to one problem. This arthritis is another problem on top of my other spine issue and not so easily "fixed" with surgery)

I tried a chiropracter - and I had more pain afterwards.
I tried massage therapy and got annoyed.
I tried acupuncture and it worked to a degree, but it was expensive
I tried physical therapy and decided I could do all their exercises and stretches myself and I do. The only thing I miss is that ultrasound thingy on my back.
Pain meds - but I hate drugs
I didn't try the shots - cause I was scared
meditation - but I sit in a relaxed position with pillows - sometimes I even lay flat on the floor.
Surgery - my doctor said my hip is going to have to be replaced so I might as well do them at the same time. So far - no way.

I also tried Reiki - I think it works.
Water therapy - works
Heat therapy - works
Yoga - works

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Thanks for the wonderful post! You've provided some really good suggestions - I"ll have to try them out.

I'll definitely have to try the shoes. It'd be nice to have a pair of really comfortable shoes that would also help my alignment and help with the pain.

Again, thanks!

You're welcome! By the way, I actually found the shoes in an Avon catalog of all places for about $30.00. Of course now I no longer have an Avon rep. but maybe you know of one. If not then Curves probably has them at their workout center. uh - if you have an Avon rep. would you please let me know? Thank you!

M

Mousebaby

:bawl: I just got back from yet another Dr. in my life. I had to go to Waldork to see her. She told me that I have Osteo arthritis in my neck, knees, ankles, feet and sacroiliac (sp?) GEEEZ!!! Know I know why it hurts to walk so much! I am not going to ask what else could go wrong because at this point I don't want to know! I am not even 40 people and I am falling apart! :bawl: She told me to continue my Daypro and added yet more pills to my diet and a patch. Oh Goody!!! Sorry, I needed a shoulder (or thirty) to cry on! :ohwell:

:bawl: I just got back from yet another Dr. in my life. I had to go to Waldork to see her. She told me that I have Osteo arthritis in my neck, knees, ankles, feet and sacroiliac (sp?) GEEEZ!!! Know I know why it hurts to walk so much! I am not going to ask what else could go wrong because at this point I don't want to know! I am not even 40 people and I am falling apart! :bawl: She told me to continue my Daypro and added yet more pills to my diet and a patch. Oh Goody!!! Sorry, I needed a shoulder (or thirty) to cry on! :ohwell:

Man, that sucks...:frown: Sorry to hear that... can they do any test to find out why your body is attacking itself?

M

Mousebaby

Man, that sucks...:frown: Sorry to hear that... can they do any test to find out why your body is attacking itself?

She did all kinds of tests, the good news is, I don't have any other type of arthritis. The bad news is, the particular type I have they can do nothing about. She said it happens to a lot of people when they get older, it's just happening to me a little sooner then expected. If I am correct in my calculations I started getting this when I was 30. In my opinion that is not a "little early" to me that is a lot early! I don't know, but if I drank I would be tying one on right now to escape my own thoughts! :bawl:

M

Mousebaby

Arthiritis in your... 10-30-2007 08:04 PM cryaby. I was 34. Lose some of that weight and exercise. WHINER

Whoever you are, I hope you rot in Hell for wishing such horrible things on people! You don't have a clue as to who I am so :biteme:

I had degenerative disc disease, Had the back surgery and the dr. removed the arthritis from my spine, I never realized that it could be removed.. he is the #1 spine doctor in the US, Steven Hughes, in Arlington he is an excellent dr.

Havent had any pain since, but some stiffness, yoga seems to help. I also sleep on a really firm mattress, with a sheet of plywood under it.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Doctor in the house

BG, one thing to think about when dealing with back pain is the fact that your abdominal muscles are the protectors of your lower back. Many folk with lower back problems ignore the abs and never get better. Physical therapy should focus on flexibility, strength, and getting rid of any excess 'tissues' around the waist.

That, and a hot tub plus wine.

Dr. Lenny