Article about why stick shifts

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've outlived the usefulness of having a manual but I do believe it should be a requirement to learn for drivers license.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've outlived the usefulness of having a manual but I do believe it should be a requirement to learn for drivers license.

I agree there is no mechanical benefit to them anymore. But I still made sure my kids learn to drive them. My daughter at age 30 just got rid of her manual because she's now commuting into Boston. My son still drives his daily but he's down here or it's not such a burden.

As for the driver's license, hell they stopped requiring them to even parallel park years ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Whaaaaa Hans. I like them

Me too but you hardly see them anymore. I also like them for others because you have to pay more attention to your driving with a stick - you can't doomscroll on your phone or eat a full course meal or pluck your eyebrows. You're more engaged with what you're supposed to be doing.

(Now the tards are going to pile in here and insist they CAN watch Tik Tok vids and shave the scraggle off their chins while driving a stick, and that I'm just a moron incapable of multitasking :lol: )

glhs837

Power with Control
I mean the odds of you needing that skill one day are probably equivalent to you needing the skills required to extricate yourself my car underwater.
Me too but you hardly see them anymore. I also like them for others because you have to pay more attention to your driving with a stick - you can't doomscroll on your phone or eat a full course meal or pluck your eyebrows. You're more engaged with what you're supposed to be doing.

(Now the tards are going to pile in here and insist they CAN watch Tik Tok vids and shave the scraggle off their chins while driving a stick, and that I'm just a moron incapable of multitasking :lol: )

One reason both of my kids first cars were my choice, and I made sure they were sticks.

Clem72

Me too but you hardly see them anymore. I also like them for others because you have to pay more attention to your driving with a stick - you can't doomscroll on your phone or eat a full course meal or pluck your eyebrows.
Uh, excuse me. Not only did I eat a full course meal but often cooked one on my 12v hotplate while stuck in traffick.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I love a stick. I wanted to get a standard when I purchased my last truck. Son said in a few years I would struggle pushing in the clutch.

Implying I am getting old.

:mad:

I should have gotten the stick anyway, could have passed it to a grandson in 10 years.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My husband and oldest insisted on getting a stick shift for their cars. Pretty sure when my son bought his at 16 or 17, he was one of a few that knew how to drive one.

GregV814

Look!!!!

First gear, its allright
second gear hang on tight
third gear, faster faster....
Honda...

or..

It happened on the strip where the road is wide
two cool sharks standing side-by side
Yeah, my fuel injected Sting Ray and a 413
Are revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean

SHUT DOWN !!!!

Have you guys lost your wasted youth forgetting what made America GREAT???? Fast cars, high octane and a Muncie M-22!!!!!!

You youngster!!!!!! sheeeeeeesh

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I mean the odds of you needing that skill one day are probably equivalent to you needing the skills required to extricate yourself my car underwater.

One reason both of my kids first cars were my choice, and I made sure they were sticks.

Better to have a skill and not need it than need it and not have it. One never knows when the Zombie Apocalypse comes....

glhs837

Power with Control
Better to have a skill and not need it than need it and not have it. One never knows when the Zombie Apocalypse comes....

Navy spent a looooot of time and money teaching me things I would most likely never need. Land and water survival, navigation and evasion, egress from sinking helicopters, interrogation resistance, how to don a parachute and be ready to jump in under a minute, how to slow down tracking dogs (You cant really evade them, just slow them down until you can be rescued)

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I agree there is no mechanical benefit to them anymore. But I still made sure my kids learn to drive them. My daughter at age 30 just got rid of her manual because she's now commuting into Boston. My son still drives his daily but he's down here or it's not such a burden.

As for the driver's license, hell they stopped requiring them to even parallel park years ago.
So I was in Italy a few years back and was asked if I could drive a manual shift, of course I said yes. I got out to the car and didn’t see a shift lever. I asked about it and the had to show me how to use the paddle shifters. Figured it out soon enough since it still had a clutch, but it isn’t anywhere as intuitive as a stick.

glhs837

Power with Control
So I was in Italy a few years back and was asked if I could drive a manual shift, of course I said yes. I got out to the car and didn’t see a shift lever. I asked about it and the had to show me how to use the paddle shifters. Figured it out soon enough since it still had a clutch, but it isn’t anywhere as intuitive as a stick.

Pretty happy that during my trip to Norway next month I'll have a manual.

My second deployment (first was Adak Alaska) was to Misawa, Japan. After two weeks, I pulled my first Duty Driver watch. Get the first call to go pick someone up from the barracks since they had stuff to bring down and it had snowed. It was about 1/2 mile so I had always walked. I get out to the lot and see my ride. One of those tiny Japanese pickups. Right hand drive, and when I climbed in, it had a three on the tree. Had never driven one, but I had driven floor transmissions and motorcycles. Difficulty level was that the stick was inboard in my left hand. That trip was a blast......

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Been to Adak a few times, always liked that place. First duty driver I had was a three on the tree, tried to put it in drive and snapped the collar, had to walk back to the ship with the shift lever in hand.

glhs837

Power with Control
Been to Adak a few times, always liked that place. First duty driver I had was a three on the tree, tried to put it in drive and snapped the collar, had to walk back to the ship with the shift lever in hand.

Lived there for six months. A few trips off, once to Midway for a couple of weeks. Another couple up in Eielson AFB near Fairbanks. A few overnight trips to Anchorage, visited the Great Alaskan Bush Company. :) We had a sqaudron Q hut out on the Tundra. There were hundred's of them left over from a WWII invasion force that staged to take back the outer islands. The base let commands sign them out and use them for parties and such. Quite a few still had small wood stoves in them.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
There was a comm station that was always needing work done, of course I always volunteered for that trip. Took a few extra days to get some fishing in. In two days of fishing I could come back with a hundred pounds of halibut steaks and fillets.

Kinnakeet

Look!!!!

First gear, its allright
second gear hang on tight
third gear, faster faster....
Honda...

or..

It happened on the strip where the road is wide
two cool sharks standing side-by side
Yeah, my fuel injected Sting Ray and a 413
Are revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean

SHUT DOWN !!!!

Have you guys lost your wasted youth forgetting what made America GREAT???? Fast cars, high octane and a Muncie M-22!!!!!!

You youngster!!!!!! sheeeeeeesh
Jan n Dean

Kinnakeet

Hydra
I love a stick. I wanted to get a standard when I purchased my last truck. Son said in a few years I would struggle pushing in the clutch.

Implying I am getting old.

:mad:

I should have gotten the stick anyway, could have passed it to a grandson in 10 years.
Hydraulic clutch now a days /60's n 70's mechanical clutch meant for men.