At the end of the day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
An example:

Ms. Beefarilla, what did you do with the top secret documents when you found them in the copier?
So...I took the documents and gave them to the New York Post? And then I sent a copy to CNN?

"So" is the new "um".
so.....

PeoplesElbow

An example:

Ms. Beefarilla, what did you do with the top secret documents when you found them in the copier?
So...I took the documents and gave them to the New York Post? And then I sent a copy to CNN?

"So" is the new "um".

Oh that is stupid.

My so is said in a condescending manner usually to people that will talk around an issue because they won't make a decision.

I know a woman that says um about every third or fourth word, sometimes she puts two ums in a row.

Goldenhawk

My own pet peeve: People starting a paragraph with "The thing is," and then starting the next phrase with "is that"... and because the first part is so automated, they don't even realize they're duplicating "is".

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
My own pet peeve: People starting a paragraph with "The thing is," and then starting the next phrase with "is that"... and because the first part is so automated, they don't even realize they're duplicating "is".

The thing is is that is the way many people talk.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I know a woman that says um about every third or fourth word, sometimes she puts two ums in a row.

We must know the same lady and it drives me nuts. :burning: I interact with her fairly often and started counting the number of 'ums' she was using. I lost count after 50-some in the first few minutes and completely tuned her out. :lalala: :lol:

PeoplesElbow

We must know the same lady and it drives me nuts. :burning: I interact with her fairly often and started counting the number of 'ums' she was using. I lost count after 50-some in the first few minutes and completely tuned her out. :lalala: :lol:

LOL, I was in a meeting with her afterwards I turned to one of my younger coworkers and said 54, this sailor that was there also turned and said you missed a couple I counted 57.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If I may ......

(See what I did there?)

Ahhhhhhhh, imitation, the most sincerest from of flattery.

What I can't understand is when people use the word "so" at the beginning of a sentence when speaking. Such as on the show Shark Tank. Many of the hopefuls, when asked a question of their product always begin by saying, "So". What gives with that? On every question. Is this what is being taught in schools now? So, we wanted .... So, the numbers are .... So, it's because .... So, great question .... So, our margins are .... So, Mr. Wonderful ..... It's enough to drive one nuts I tells ya.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I hate the 'let me be clear' statement. It is taken as the rest of us are not clear, and don't get what the person said in the first place. More people are clear on things than most people think; especially, the person who said it in the first place.