Atheist teen forces school to remove prayer

bcp

In My Opinion
In this country? Absolutely not!

I should have just left it at majority should rule.
In some cases majority does, in others it is usually one misguided federal judge that takes the majorities rights away to change something to what he thinks is right.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I should have just left it at majority should rule.
In some cases majority does, in others it is usually one misguided federal judge that takes the majorities rights away to change something to what he thinks is right.

But I don't think they should. No matter how many people say slavery is okay, it’s not and we have a system in place to make sure such majorities don’t get that advantage to pass harmful laws. Everything should be bumped up against the constitution; no matter how many people say something should be the right thing to do, if the constitution says differently it shouldn't be so.

nutz

But I don't think they should. No matter how many people say slavery is okay, it’s not and we have a system in place to make sure such majorities don’t get that advantage to pass harmful laws. Everything should be bumped up against the constitution; no matter how many people say something should be the right thing to do, if the constitution says differently it shouldn't be so.

Oh crap, here we go. How did slaves get imported to this country? How many slave owners were there in this country?

Constitutional law and the rights (or wrongs) are not always adhered to. I have a right to keep and bear arms, Second Amendment. Md's. interpretation of that is entirely different. I have a right to do and say as I please, First Amendment. Courts disagree and have decided that speech is censored for the public good.

bcp

In My Opinion
comparing slavery to a prayer on a school wall is not exactly a reasonable leap as far as this conversation goes is it?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Oh crap, here we go. How did slaves get imported to this country? How many slave owners were there in this country?

Constitutional law and the rights (or wrongs) are not always adhered to. I have a right to keep and bear arms, Second Amendment. Md's. interpretation of that is entirely different. I have a right to do and say as I please, First Amendment. Courts disagree and have decided that speech is censored for the public good.

I'm not sure what you're implying about slavery. It was abolished by the 13th Amendment. What's funny about that is, try running a slavery business in this country now. Everyone would be screaming how it violates the constituion. Yet, states enacting laws that violate the 2nd get overlooked. I find that pretty odd.

Every law that is enacted is SUPPOSED to be bumped up against the constitution. State laws are not supposed be able to trump the constitution. I never implied that it couldn’t happen; in fact I believe I was making the point it IS happening and shouldn’t be. The constitution and our republic are supposed to prevent mob rule; from enacting laws that violate the constitution even if the majority believe it should. But that doesn’t mean it wont happen; I completely get that.

:shrug:

Last edited: