Attn Parents!!

puggymom

Here's what I don't understand........per student spending is almost 15,000 dollars per year. Tution at SM Ryken is 10,000 per year and much less for the elementary schools. I think the public schools could learn a math lesson here.

It probably has to do with the fact that that money is not equally distributed per student. What happens to the 'problem kids' at Ryken? Probably expelled whereas the public school has to keep dealing with it. I know someone who is a state accountant (not MD) and does a lot of schools. At each individual school the majority of the money seems to go towards these kids and not the average student.

Clem_Shady

Riddle Me This Pope Chit

It probably has to do with the fact that that money is not equally distributed per student. What happens to the 'problem kids' at Ryken? Probably expelled whereas the public school has to keep dealing with it. I know someone who is a state accountant (not MD) and does a lot of schools. At each individual school the majority of the money seems to go towards these kids and not the average student.

How many freaking illegal immigrants is Ryken educating?

Duh!

If Maryland has 250,000 illegal immigrants out of a 2.5 million population; lets hear your math breakdown on this little, nasty question.

Spanish to English translators are standing by for your immediate response.

:killingme

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I dont want to see one more working American citizen layed off or fired until every last bean eating leach has been thrown out of the state first.
then I want to see welfare cut back, those people should lose their paycheck too.

How the leaches in our society have become more of a value than someone that produces is beyond my ability to reason.

Now you're saying I have to leave the state just because I like beans

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
How many freaking illegal immigrants is Ryken educating?

Duh!

If Maryland has 250,000 illegal immigrants out of a 2.5 million population; lets hear your math breakdown on this little, nasty question.

Spanish to English translators are standing by for your immediate response.

:killingme

Lance is easier to understand than your gibberish.

amyinmd

LOTS OF WASTE in public schools for sure! Unions have ruined public education. Check out the movie WAITING FOR SUPERMAN.

royhobie

hobieflyer
St. Mary's County Public Schools funding is being cut drastically. In turn, schools will lose kindergarten paras (aides), IRT's (instructional resource teachers), and 150 jobs. You can ALL help by emailing the county commissioners at BOCC@stmarysmd.com and asking them to INCREASE EDUCATION FUNDING. Email as many times and as often as you can. The children of St. Mary's County thank you.

I feel your pain.

.... President Bill Clinton

royhobie

hobieflyer
:yeahthat:

Well, now I know where you've been during all of the recent teacher-bashing threads...

Trying to save us all some time, let's predict where this thread is going to go...
  • someone will come on & blame all of the problems on the unions
  • someone will blame incompetent teachers
  • someone will say that teachers get paid too much for only working 10 months out of the year.
  • others will drag out stories about wrongs done by teachers that affected their children.
  • some will point out (and probably rightly so) that this is just a big game of political extortion, where cuts are proposed that will impact children in an effort to garner monetary support to save the "cushy" central office jobs
  • someone will point out that everyone is suffering from the economy so why does it matter if people involved in education also lose jobs
What did I miss?

On another note, I hear you and know exactly where you're coming from on this one. We are also going through this in PG county and it has become clear that the decision-makers do not listen to teachers, parents, or others arguing to save teaching positions and programs that directly impact the children, and cut elsewhere (cushy admin jobs), and the parents are the ones pointing out the admin jobs, not the teachers. The political entities are all playing "pass the buck, and pass the blame". I believe the whole effort is useless becuase the politicians simply do not care. They are all looking for soundbites and reputations for "getting tough and cutting budgets".

Good luck with your quest to find support. I am hoping that you find at least a few parents who will stand up and speak up for what they consider to be important to their children.

Let the mudslinging and witch-hunts commence.

You are right about the cushy admin jobs. They have some considerable salaries. Some will deny that Unions keep the salaries up as they have in Wisconsin. No chance of Unions disappearing any time soon here. At least not yet. One thing I can say for sure, don't expect the economy to get better. It will continue to get worse. It will have its ups and down. But the over all picture by the end of the day will be down.

Here is the bottom line that everyone can understand. - The Fed. Govt. used to support the States. The States then used to support the County. The Fed money is gone. Therefore, the State money is gone. Therefore, the County money is gone. Doesn't matter of what is collected from us. They always want more. Especially in a Democrat State like Maryland. MD is already trying to squeeze the turnip. I suspect Maryland will pass additional taxes soon, such as a raise in your vehicle registration and a gas tax, when gas is already high.

You must not forget that St. Mary's County is a school system that the Superintendent said we "HAD TO HAVE" artificial turf fields to keep our kids on par with the rest. The "total" cost was at about a "million" per field. 1) I bet you don't hear any talk about it now. 2) I bet he is glad he didn't spend the money now. But, saving the millions only "delays" what will occur sooner or later. Just a fact of life at this point. It's horrible. Nobody likes it. The folks at the BOE are good people. And I know none of them want this to happen. But, they ran out of choices. And as I said, expect it to get "Far worse than what it currently is". At some point, the citizens of Maryland will probably revolt against tax after tax after tax in Maryland and see very little for it. Our teachers will probably be the first in line at the protest.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Yeah, it's called school tax that we already pay.

I have no problem with a Pay to Play for extracurricular activities.
I DO have a problem with giving illegals tuition cuts @ taxpayer expense and then cutting educational services to the legal students. That is :bs:

About a month ago I asked a State politician exactly how much of our taxes goes to illegals. I received a "smoke and mirrors" of an answer. My question was NEVER answered. I was so disgusted I sent another email. It was ignored. So, you see, the point I am making is that although we vote them in office, they don't answer to us. They answer to foreign nationals which aren't even citizens!!!! It's amazing.

royhobie

hobieflyer
It's not a rumor. Dr. M talked about it last week. Although the lecture style classes would likely be just for honors and advanced placement type of classes.

That's correct. Some of the others are unable to provide their undivided attention. I won't get in to the issues.

royhobie

hobieflyer
How about the $40+ million the BoCC have committed to spending on FDR Blvd. Take some of that money and fully fund SMCPS. Problem solved.

Next..........

Actually, this money should be saved for even deeper cuts that may occur in to 2012 to 2014 across the board. Not just education. I agree FDR is needed. But, the bottom line is we don't have the money to support it now. Do you actually think that it can't get worse?

royhobie

hobieflyer
They can get rid of headstart and DARE right off the bat. Both are meaningless useless programs. And headstart is a money sinkhole..and for some reason is a snacrosant program..though it has been proven, time and time again...even by govt studies that it does no good whatsoever. Next, kids on free lunch should get a cheese sandwich and a milk. Stop screwing around with physical textbooks. making some classes taught lecture style is a good thing..that's how college works and to do that in high schools is no big deal. I actually have no problem with getting rid of art, chorus, band, and sports...or making them be paid classes. We don't test against China in the art of the oboe..we test against them in math. This will leave a little more time for gym class so we don't have as many porkers walking around school either. as for the paras...cant we get a partnership goin with st mary's college to get some edu students in there for free? Or with CSM and their child care/early child ed classes? Even the tech center and some of the highschools have early child ed tracks that could provide volunteers.. They need experience, and can certainly help open milks at lunch time. How about cutting the paper budget in schools by not doing everything on fricken worksheets? making everyone be out of the school and lights out by 5 at least 2-3 days a week? cutting janitorial staff and making the little miscreants on ISS clean? making kids in middle school and high school within a certain distance walk...I am sure there are things that can be done. It is painfully obv to anyone with a brain that per student funding doesn't make a school better or worse..look at DC :coffee:

Didn't they also want to add free DINNERS too? Did that already start up, or did the budget collapse before they could get it going? What gets me is they claim so many kids are STARVING and would otherwise get no food at home. But yet when I have been to just about every school in our County, the first thing I noticed was that 2 out of 3 kids appear to be obese. Look at the fat foods they give kids on the current school lunch menu. Amazing!

royhobie

hobieflyer
I'm glad someone cleared that up, but evidently in Frederick County the county does either fund some of head start or can allocate the funds. I didn't read the article about in the Post from earlier this week.

Para educators in Title I schools are federally funded also, so those para's will end up staying in place. If the BOE and Dr. LookatmeImsowonderful are really serious about saving money and not tugging heartstrings then they need to look in their own house. Cut the county provided car out for the super, reduce the staff @ the central office. Ever notice that Dr. MikeyMarty always has an entourage of central office lackeys when he is out campaigning er, I mean surveying his kingdom, um I mean getting out there and finding out how best to implement changes to increase the efficacy and efficiency of the school system? Instead of getting subs to cover for teachers that have to proctor for MSA's, get some asses out the central office and into the classrooms to proctor.

If Cathy Allen or any other member of the School Board think that pulling paras out of a kindergarten because "they are under cap", needs to go into a kindergarten classroom and try doing the job for a couple of days. I can tell you right now that there may be 5-10 K classrooms that are at or under cap in this county.

Oops! Did I expose the BOE and the school board as a pack of liars?!?!

Congress may also cut more education funding. Expect this to be one of them. Oh by the way, they RAISED funding to foreign nations. Many of which are our ENEMIES!!!!! We are no longer the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We are now the UNITED NATIONS OF AMERICA. I say this because the simple fact is that when our States and the Federal Government spend our taxpayer's money on nationals who are not citizens while we as Americans are put to the side would be called "treason" by some people. Look at the legal definition of treason. Seems to fit.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
LOTS OF WASTE in public schools for sure! Unions have ruined public education. Check out the movie WAITING FOR SUPERMAN.

I'm really getting tired of being told to watch this damn thing, I'll form my own opinions without being beat over the head with someone else's, thank you.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think there should be a pay to play rule! Why should my tax dollars go to pay for some snot nose kid to play sports. I get paying for their education, but for their leisure activities after school? Let the parents pay. Do a fund raiser. Don't rob me for it.

Agreed. Parents of band members already have to pay fees. Between concert band, marching band, jazz, and a couple other band programs, I'm close to $400 in fees. It's well worth it but parents of sports members should pony up as well.

karen_grip

Why are there free day care centers for the high school girls to take their infants at all 3 local high schools ? In a perfect world with unlimited money that works. They can continue their education at night school. That's one way to save money.