ATVers on the trails?

SugarNSpikes

Okay, so I know this probably doesn't belong here, but because it affects my horse and I, I'm going to put it here for you horse people to respond to anyway.

Sooo, I adore the facility that I'm at. I love the barn owner and my horse is the happiest I've ever seen him. Problem is, ATVers. Does anyone else have a problem with unwanted trespassing ATvers?

Edit: They're tearing up some of her property. I'm not trying to get into an argument about who's riding where. I don't ride off of her property, and I just know it's being done on her property and the adjoining properties by word of mouth.

Legally, everything is being taken care of and the barn owner is putting up all of the proper precautions and has done everything that needs to be done. The problem is catching them. :eek: They're sneaky little devils.

In general, I'm just kind of wondering - do you all have the same problem? Have you run into the ATVers? I've heard that they're becoming somewhat of an issue all over the area.

Why don't they go onto that nice ATV park that was built specifically for them? :smack:

Last edited:

SugarNSpikes

Not reallyyy. :] We don't go back there. We stay on the clearly marked portion owned by the owner. We went back once with the Sheriff's office, and I guarantee that they have permission.

jetmonkey

Attachments

• oh_snap.jpg
    oh_snap.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 118

fredsaid2

If the ATVers are trespassing along the power lines, so are you.

She's already said she doesn't ride off the barn owner's property.

ATVs and riding w/o permission is always an issue. We have some who will cut across our property. I've never been able to get to them fast enough to make the point they are tresspassing. One day I will. :biggrin:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

ATVs and riding w/o permission is always an issue. We have some who will cut across our property. I've never been able to get to them fast enough to make the point they are tresspassing. One day I will. :biggrin:

If this were Texas, you could fire a warning shot into their leg

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Okay, so I know this probably doesn't belong here, but because it affects my horse and I, I'm going to put it here for you horse people to respond to anyway.

Sooo, I adore the facility that I'm at. I love the barn owner and my horse is the happiest I've ever seen him. Problem is, ATVers. Does anyone else have a problem with unwanted trespassing ATvers?

Edit: They're tearing up some of her property. I'm not trying to get into an argument about who's riding where. I don't ride off of her property, and I just know it's being done on her property and the adjoining properties by word of mouth.

Legally, everything is being taken care of and the barn owner is putting up all of the proper precautions and has done everything that needs to be done. The problem is catching them. :eek: They're sneaky little devils.

In general, I'm just kind of wondering - do you all have the same problem? Have you run into the ATVers? I've heard that they're becoming somewhat of an issue all over the area.

Why don't they go onto that nice ATV park that was built specifically for them? :smack:

I ride both, but I don't intentionally ride on private property. The times I have been out riding horses, the only thing that I find irritating is if they ride it full throttle up my horses azz or purposely speed around the horses without care!

C

citizen_fear

If they are not hurting the property I would let it be. I have seen a yard get TORN UP in the middle of the night because a guy thought he would stop ATV riders from going on the power lines by cutting down trees and blocking easy access, they destroyed his yard at about 2am and were gone before anyone could do anything.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
If they are not hurting the property I would let it be. I have seen a yard get TORN UP in the middle of the night because a guy thought he would stop ATV riders from going on the power lines by cutting down trees and blocking easy access, they destroyed his yard at about 2am and were gone before anyone could do anything.

With riders like that I could see why they wouldn't be welcomed!!

SugarNSpikes

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just worried that I'll come across them and it'll spook the horse. The property has been torn up with tons of tire marks, beer/alcohol bottles and such, and there's really nothing that can be done other than put up "No trespassing" signs.

And I guess we'll just have to let it be. I can pick up the beer bottles I see and try to keep everything neat. I don't want anymore trouble, ya know?

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Most atvers we have ran into know we ride the same trails we usually spot them or hear them and we get off the trail so that they do see us and so far all have been respectfull and have even turned them off. But there are always a few that want to ruin it for all. If it was my property that they were running across in the late night early mornings while your sound asleeo having fun.. I'd be waiting there with shot gun in hand giving them thier last warning.Rocksalt doesnn't feel to good and it's basically won't kill em but most likely they won't come back.:killingme

FrmGrl

Get some!
Funny you mention this thread. We had a bunch that thought our hayfield was a nice ATV park. They tore up a lot of our crop. Hubby caught a few of them and since we asked them nicely to stay off I have seen them stay in the road. Maybe they just need to know its not ok. On the other hand, I have also had a problem with horse people thinking its ok to ride in our field. Just because we have horses does not mean you can ride there. Horses will tear up a crop of hay just as bad as an ATV. Everyone needs permission before trespassing!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I ride both and have never torn up anyone else's property. I respect the hard work that goes into everything that people do. Anyone who would ride in someone else's field and tear it up is just plain disrespectful and wasn't brought up right. If I caught them, I would make them spend a weekend fixing up their mistakes. After all that sweat & hard work I bet they wouldn't do something like that again.

SugarNSpikes

I ride both and have never torn up anyone else's property. I respect the hard work that goes into everything that people do. Anyone who would ride in someone else's field and tear it up is just plain disrespectful and wasn't brought up right. If I caught them, I would make them spend a weekend fixing up their mistakes. After all that sweat & hard work I bet they wouldn't do something like that again.

Definitely, the problem is catching them. I go up to the barn 2-4 times a week but I only trail ride once or twice a month so by the time I get to the edge of the property, the damage has been done.

Alsoo, I know that horseback riders will damage someone's land just as much as ATVers. I'm sorry about your crops, hopefully it won't happen at all this year.