Auto Repair Shysters

hoffmaster

At some point or another we are faced with the issue of automotive repair or preventive maintenance. As customers we should definitely shop around for the best deal in town by obtaining quotes and references. Failure to shop around may result in a miss diagnoses or costly repair. Be advised if you are not happy with the quote, pull up chocks and go elsewhere. Below is my story facing automotive repair.

On August 16, 2005 I dropped off my 1999 Pontiac Firebird (V6, 3.8L) at “a local automotive shop in the Hollywood area.” The service requested was to rotate tires, tune-up (plugs and wires), replace catalytic converter and troubleshoot the rear window defrost. Along with the requested service I advised the shop of a service engine soon light which displayed constantly and flashed periodically. August 17, 2005 I received a call from the shop stating that the service engine soon light pointed to an engine misfire and bad catalytic converter, as I thought. Here is the kicker, total bill, $3,300 plus. Keep in mind my vehicle according to Kelly’s Blue Book goes for around $4500 (private resale).

Catalytic Converter with installation – over $1400 for a $95-600 job
Rear window defrost repair – over $400 for a defrost controller
Tune-up – over $1000 for the below items (plus wires and coils not listed)
Air Filter - $34 for a $7 part
Spark Plugs – $18.11 for a $2 to $10 part
Fuel Filter – over $80 for a $3 to $4 part

After obtaining the quote verbally, I found that the same repairs could be done elsewhere for around $1200-$1500, a savings of $1800 to $2100. The shop tried to charge $267 for balance and rotation of my tires and a computer diagnostic check. Computer diagnostics are free at various automotive parts stores and a reputable shop would charge at max $50. The shop agreed to drop the hefty $267 to $163.05, still a rip off. I would advise current and potential customers who have had the same experience at this shop to contact the Better Business Bureau, Maryland Attorney General (Consumer Protection Division) and report fraud as I did. Can we say, “A-GIP”.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
After obtaining the quote verbally, I found that the same repairs could be done elsewhere for around $1200-$1500, a savings of $1800 to $2100.

Clear something up...did you agree to their estimate and let them do the work?

Were they off the mark for their estimate (how much?) AND then you shopped around?

Name the shop. I'd like to hear the other side of this story. No offense, but it reminds me of the single maggot in the meat tale so some idiots could walk out on their bar/food tab and slam the establishment.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Cats are expensive and unless they're dented or 20 years old it's probably OK. For that kind of money you could have gotten an aftermarket High-Flow cat.
AGAPE is expensive because they only use factory parts.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
aps45819 said:
Cats are expensive and unless they're dented or 20 years old it's probably OK..
Not so anymore. OBDII federal standards mandate that all catalysts have monitor sensors on them to test efficiency. It may look good and may not rattle but that doesn't mean a thing to the engine computer that's testing it.

StanleyRugg

I hear ya Mister. Ever one lookin to rip ya off. Momma Rugg says all the time that she is so lucky her son (that’s me) is a scientist and a expert in all things mechanical. I take care of all our service and repair needs right out behind my intentin hut. One time when I was in the hospital due to an accident at my inventin hut (no need to go into that right now) Momma Ruggs Chrysler started actin up. She took it to a fella who was supposed to be a expert and he said he fixed it and charged her $50 but when she got in it and drove off it started actin up again. He said he changed the PCV valve, what a rip, everyone knows PCV is a kinda pipe used for plummin. She was so mad she went back and demanded her money back. When he wouldn’t she chucked a spanner wrench through his window and kicked over a stack of oil drums. Turns out that some mud dobbers had built a nest in the carburetor (that’s a thing that suck air and squirts gas for you novices). She said I was the only one she trusted to work on her Cordoba.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
StanleyRugg said:
I hear ya Mister. Ever one lookin to rip ya off. Momma Rugg says all the time that she is so lucky her son (that’s me) is a scientist and a expert in all things mechanical. I take care of all our service and repair needs right out behind my intentin hut. One time when I was in the hospital due to an accident at my inventin hut (no need to go into that right now) Momma Ruggs Chrysler started actin up. She took it to a fella who was supposed to be a expert and he said he fixed it and charged her $50 but when she got in it and drove off it started actin up again. He said he changed the PCV valve, what a rip, everyone knows PCV is a kinda pipe used for plummin. She was so mad she went back and demanded her money back. When he wouldn’t she chucked a spanner wrench through his window and kicked over a stack of oil drums. Turns out that some mud dobbers had built a nest in the carburetor (that’s a thing that suck air and squirts gas for you novices). She said I was the only one she trusted to work on her Cordoba.
HAH! Same thing happened ta me with my Dodge Dart includin' the mud dobbers. What makes a feller like that so mean?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
StanleyRugg said:

Where's Rod? :confused:

hoffmaster

No I did not agree to the estimate. After the verbal estimate was given I then called around and discovered it could be done for $1800-$2100 less. They would not give a quote before I brought it in either saying, "it is like giving your a haircut over the phone." Well to your no offense part, take your car there and see for yourself, if you don't care about the money you spend and folks swindling you then go for it.

Sharon said:
Clear something up...did you agree to their estimate and let them do the work?

Were they off the mark for their estimate (how much?) AND then you shopped around?

Name the shop. I'd like to hear the other side of this story. No offense, but it reminds me of the single maggot in the meat tale so some idiots could walk out on their bar/food tab and slam the establishment.

C

czygvtwkr

Agape is expensive but I do hear good things about them.

Rear window defroster is one of those things that you just dont repair if it breaks cause it costs so damn much to fix something so trivial.

My catalytic converter on my old car got clogged so I took a drill and drilled it out, my milage increased quite a bit from that.

hoffmaster

Your right. If this establishment uses factory parts they are still marking them up an unbelievable amount. The labor is 4 times as bad of a markup.

aps45819 said:
Cats are expensive and unless they're dented or 20 years old it's probably OK. For that kind of money you could have gotten an aftermarket High-Flow cat.
AGAPE is expensive because they only use factory parts.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
hoffmaster said:
Have you had the same experience? If so, please share.
:lol: I experience their work all the time due to having to work behind them. I had a customer one time that paid almost twice as much for a head gasket repair than the dealership I work for would have charged them. The parts on the repair order from them were factory parts with 100% markup over what we would have charged at full list price. It pays to shop around sometimes.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
hoffmaster said:
Your right. If this establishment uses factory parts they are still marking them up an unbelievable amount. The labor is 4 times as bad of a markup.

But, but, but they have an expresso machine in the waiting room.:lol:

Agapé has always been known to charge much more than the other guys. That is how they offer such a long warranty period. But be aware that more than one component can cause the same problem. The condition isn't covered under warranty if they replaced the wrong part the first time. I worked there once, but my conscience got the best of me, and I had to move on.
:peace:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Not defending the prices you were charged, but list price on an aftermarket original replacement converter for your Firebird is just under $700. With OBDII on that car, you don't want a $100 universal converter on your car.

Tampering with your catalytic converter (ie. drilling a hole in it and removing the precious metal content) is illegal if you get caught.

It's also illegal to make unauthorized repairs that exceed the original estimate by 10%. So if unauthorized work was performed on your car, you probably should have contacted the Maryland Attorney General's office before posting your beef here.

You also left out the hourly labor rate that you were charged. Down here, it's probably in the $50-$70 per hour range at most shops.

Otter

Nothing to see here
hoffmaster said:

When I took the vette to get inspected to transfer the title, the only thing wrong the inspection station found was a cracked serpentine belt. They wanted 140 or 160 to replace it. I decided to hold off and check it out myself, thought maybe there was something different about the job than most cars. Swung by an auto parts store on the way home, bought the belt for 22 and replaced it in my driveway(10 minute job)....An awful lot of repairs in auto shops are ridiculously marked up, thats just the way it is.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
For my PT Cruiser, Park Dodge does the repairs I can't do myself. I have no complaints with the work and since I don't shop around, I won't complain about their prices.

For my Miata, if I have a problem I can't fix myself I'll take it to Cheseldine's (the Meineke shop next to Wal Mart). They have proven themselves with me over 13+ years to be honest and honorable, and their prices aren't bad either (especially for tires).

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Railroad said:
For my PT Cruiser, Park Dodge does the repairs I can't do myself. I have no complaints with the work and since I don't shop around, I won't complain about their prices.

For my Miata, if I have a problem I can't fix myself I'll take it to Cheseldine's (the Meineke shop next to Wal Mart). They have proven themselves with me over 13+ years to be honest and honorable, and their prices aren't bad either (especially for tires).

:yeahthat:

Best thing you can do is take your car to the same shop, every time. Find a good one by having them do your oil changes and tire rotations. While you're in the waiting room you can observe how they treat other people, how they deal with their suppliers and delivery drivers, their reaction to customers AFTER they hang up the phone or walk out of their business, etc. That will tell you a lot about how they treat their customers. When you find one you're comfortable with, have them do your oil changes and tire rotations every 3 months. That way, when you need a more significant repair, you already have that relationship as a regular customer. Service Writers and Technicians are going to take care of their regular customers at any shop because those customers are steady business for them.