Automatic farm-gate?

Sparks

I'm tired of the nut-balls driving into my farm to turn around, ask directions, last one even asked for GAS MONEY!! :mad:

I want to install an automatic gate. I've heard of the mighty mule as being a good do-it-yourself project. I'd be fine with a tube/farm gate but someone else wants a fancy one :rolleyes:

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for this type of gate?

Last edited:

fredsaid2

I'm tired of the nut-balls driving into my farm to turn around, ask directions, last one even asked for GAS MONEY!! :mad:

I want to install an automatic gate. I've heard of the mighty mule as being a good do-it-yourself project. I'd be fine with a tube/farm gate but someone else wants a fancy one :rolleyes:

I am so with you on the gate idea. I'm tired of people taking the scenic drive through my place. No one has asked me for money yet. They like to turn around on my lawn. :cussing:

Good luck searching for the best system!

Eventer29

We put a gate in our driveway. Partly to keep horses in if they got loose, and partly to keep people out. We just used 2 regular tube gates. They worked for keeping animals in and people out. With them not being automatic it became a PITA to open them for people we did want in(they couldnt seem to get out and open the gates and close them when they were finished. Or open them when we wanted in or out. We still close them when a horse gets loose, but otherwise they stay open.
I would def go automatic if I could afford it.

Spicober

The one that asked for gas money didnt say his "daughter was flown to childrens hospital and needed to get there" did he? That guy has been stalking Hughesville for a long time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

This is for a BMW motorcycle, but I think you can adapt it to make it work..

BMW Garage Door Opener is Today's BIG Thing in Technology - MAY 11, 2009

highnote

I dont have an automatic gate opener, but I have looked into them. Mighty mules are inexpensive, but 85% of the reviews I read on it were TERRIBLE. For that reason, I decided not to waste my time with cheap gate opener, and just save up until I can get a good one.

Sparks

The one that asked for gas money didnt say his "daughter was flown to childrens hospital and needed to get there" did he? That guy has been stalking Hughesville for a long time.

As a matter of fact he did say his daughter was in Children's Hospital. Drove an old red ford explorer.

After doing some more research, looks I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of $$$ to get it done right. No point in having an automatic gate that only works sometimes. :(

Last edited:

Spicober

So far he has been harmless, but he will be back again to ask for $! I even have friends that he went to on Dr.Mudd rd. Hes been up and down 231 and even stoped at the church. Same story every time. The church checked out his story, no little girl by the name he gave. Hes just scum.

Sparks

So far he has been harmless, but he will be back again to ask for $! I even have friends that he went to on Dr.Mudd rd. Hes been up and down 231 and even stoped at the church. Same story every time. The church checked out his story, no little girl by the name he gave. Hes just scum.

Hmmmm. I REALLY hope my husband is home next time he shows up. Perhaps he'll answer the door with a 12G. If we don't have a gate by then.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I agree as I was going through a Mighty Mule gate at a farm once with my truck and horse trailer and the gate closed on my truck. The owner had to take the gate apart to get it off my truck.

I dont have an automatic gate opener, but I have looked into them. Mighty mules are inexpensive, but 85% of the reviews I read on it were TERRIBLE. For that reason, I decided not to waste my time with cheap gate opener, and just save up until I can get a good one.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Interestingly enough was in wonder bread in Mechanicsville and they said a guy in a red truck came in the a few times asking for money, and the same storey given. …….Gives a whole new meaning to panhandling.

DOOR-TO-DOOR- pan-handlers :whistle:

bkokoruda

Single Gate

I have the MM FM500 at my place. I have the keypad entry with the push button exit. I also have a remote to come and go with. I recommend doing the hard wire install - the solar panel is useless. I recommend getting a second battery. I recommend the push button exit - the sensor does not work.

I use it with a tube gate from Southern States.

Mighty Mule FM500 - Automatic Single Gate Opener

XSalute

That's a little unnerving that he seems to be targeting people who may not have neighbors within earshot. We hopefully will be relocating back to the area sometime this year and I just mentioned this to my husband. We hadn't thought about a gate before, but it is now on the list! The barn we are at here in California state has a password coded gate entry. Is that what most of you all recommend?

Colliegal

I have a Mighty Mule gate opener. Been working just great for over 9 years! First we had it on a battery...had to buy two so one could be charging while the other was in use. Worked fine, but was a pain to have to remember to switch the batteries before they ran out of charge! Now we have it hard-wired. You can also program it to shut automatically after your choice of minutes. Very important feature. That way you are ensured that your animals won't get out! I don't think the type of gate on which you use it matters. I had it on a regular tube frame gate and now have it on the wire-filled tube gate. They also make a version for double gates.