Automotive Window Tint?

GraphitePearl

I did a search and the only thing that came up were archived threads from 2007 :(

Looking for recommendations on good, reputable window tint installers to apply tint to the front door windows on two vehicles.

Any local (California and south) recommendations?
Thanks, :)

MMM_donuts

I used Street Trendz for 35% on my car. It cost $200 and I am very happy with both the work they did and the general experience (they were nice to me, patient, and informative). I'm also quite happy with the 35%. I had side windows (front seat and back seat) and the back done. It came with a lifetime warranty.

glhs837

Power with Control
Do all after market window tint places use stuff like that plastic film stuff.

No other way to tint windows that I'm aware of. There are spray products for taillights and headlights, but those would survive the constant abrasion that moving windows do. Me, i refuse to cut down my visibility by using tint.

RPMDAD

Also feel like it is a magnet to get pulled over, i know 35% tint is legal, but it gets some police officers looking at the vehicle. A guy i work with has been pulled over 3 times for the tint on his windows, always by a State Trooper, one of them had his own test kit, and let him go the other 2 times he got inspection tickets, because they didn't have a tester. Different trooper, different county every time.

John Z

if you will
I haven't tinted the last few cars I've had, but I wouldn't mind 50% on my current daily driver. Funny thing about 35% tint is that it really isn't legal. The state law is 35% light transmission through the glass and tint together. Automotive glass blocks some light to begin with, so 35% tint will always make your car fail an inspection. Having said that, I have not been ever pulled over by the police for 35% tint. But if you take it to the MVA or state police barracks, check out the reading. :-(

glhs837

Power with Control
Some of the reasons usually given are preservation of the interior from UV, not letting a creeper see there is a lone female in the car, not letting thieves see stuff that might trigger a smash and grab theft. And of course, a lot of folks just think the vehicle looks cooler with tinted windows.

MMM_donuts

My interior is much cooler in the summertime now that the windows are tinted. Not all vehicles have a factory tint. Mine didn't. In the two or three years since I've had it done, I've never been pulled over nor has anyone ever questioned me about them.

This is the first vehicle I've ever had the windows tinted. I would be fine without it but I think it's a nice upgrade to my vehicle.

MDGator

I had heard that it was illegal in MD to tint the driver and passenger side windows (front seat). Anyone else heard that? I have a four door sedan and would like to tint the side and rear windows.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I had heard that it was illegal in MD to tint the driver and passenger side windows (front seat). Anyone else heard that? I have a four door sedan and would like to tint the side and rear windows.

As far as I know you are fine as long as it does not go below the 35% limit.

I used the guy in the industrial park on the right before Oakville Elementary heading north on 235 for a couple of cars and will get him to redo the crap job done by one of the places in the park. Good work and great price, was $160 for my SUV. Want to say the name is Tint Works.

SoMdDude

Just limos it seems...... this taken from Safety Equipment Repair Order (SERO)

"On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons:

All windows with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35% light transmittance.
Red, yellow, amber, and reflective window tint is prohibited.

On multipurpose vehicles, vans, and class “E” trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) equal to or less than 10,000 pounds:

Windows on the driver and right front passenger doors with aftermarket (added) tint must have at least 35% light transmittance. Red, yellow, amber, and reflective tint is prohibited on these windows.
All other windows can be tinted to any degree of darkness or color. However, reflective tint is prohibited.

Note: As of February 1, 2012, Limousines are not permitted to have tint on the windows right and left of the driver."

Claff

I haven't tinted the last few cars I've had, but I wouldn't mind 50% on my current daily driver. Funny thing about 35% tint is that it really isn't legal. The state law is 35% light transmission through the glass and tint together. Automotive glass blocks some light to begin with, so 35% tint will always make your car fail an inspection. Having said that, I have not been ever pulled over by the police for 35% tint. But if you take it to the MVA or state police barracks, check out the reading. :-(

I got got for this a few years ago. I had a very yellow Tiburon with 35% tint and got pulled over in Lusby on a quiet sunny summer Sunday afternoon (bored cop). Sent me to the RMV where they metered it and came up with 27%. Gave me the option to pay a fine or have the tint removed and the car reinspected. That was a fun day when I peeled all that film and goo off the windows.

I've had a handful of cars tinted at 35% since, proving I haven't learned my lesson, but they haven't been yellow cars with dark interiors, which seemed to accentuate the tintedness of the windows on the Tiburon.

DannyMotorcycle

I've got a truck that came tinted dark.. I really enjoy it, cuts out
on the sun glare.. and headlights glare. Also gives you a lot of privacy.
if i get stopped and the option to pay a fine, i'll just pay the fine to keep it.
I think the cops are more tolerant on trucks.

I wouldn't dare park it anywhere shady, a friend has had his car
broken into at the park in ride at branch avenue and woodyard i think it is.

tint draws thieves in over night parking lots in apartments too.

CrashTest

Me, i refuse to cut down my visibility by using tint.

No doubt. My Mustang has 20% (from previous owner) and it's downright dangerous at night. I just left it on because it looks cool. Car has historic tags so it's exempt from harassment.

I looked up this thread because I might get a new DD and perhaps some 50%.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Window tint scares me on the bike.. I can't see you, your head or your eyes to see if you've even noticed me or looked my way.. and generally speaking the cars with the dark tinted windows seem to be the ones that aren't paying as much attention..

The worst are the unmarked cop cars.. can't even tell if somebody is sitting in the car