'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Wanting to own that particular breed or keeping the dog?
Both. They are known maulers with a proven history. I don't have kids but I have no desire to own one for fear it would turn on me or get away from me and attack/kill a neighbors child.

Uh-oh. So it looks like I have to get rid of a dog....
Do you own a Rott? You have a newborn and I believe an older child. Are you willing to risk their lives with the proven track record of these animals? I sure as hell are not.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Both. They are known maulers with a proven history. I don't have kids but I have no desire to own one for fear it would turn on me or get away from me and attack/kill a neighbors child.

Do you own a Rott? You have a newborn and I believe an older child. Are you willing to risk their lives with the proven track record of these animals? I sure as hell are not.

Not a rottie but a mix who came to us, she was found in pretty bad shape, skinny, open wounds, we nursed her back to health, I think she is a pit mix, she has bitten but given her condition I felt bad for her, she must have had a rough life so I thought I could work with her. She is a quick learner, has a list of tricks we taught her, but aggressive in everything she does, even play. Possessive about toys. I'm not comfortable with her around my son unsupervised, I don't let her near the baby at all.

Our other dog is a beagle mix.... he has no problems, as sweet as they come.

thatguy

Not a rottie but a mix who came to us, she was found in pretty bad shape, skinny, open wounds, we nursed her back to health, I think she is a pit mix, she has bitten but given her condition I felt bad for her, she must have had a rough life so I thought I could work with her. She is a quick learner, has a list of tricks we taught her, but aggressive in everything she does, even play. Possessive about toys. I'm not comfortable with her around my son unsupervised, I don't let her near the baby at all.

Our other dog is a beagle mix.... he has no problems, as sweet as they come.

sounds like someone who is one lax moment away from a tradgedy

Nucklesack

:yeahthat:

The child would have been much better off with a Cocker Spaniel or Golden Retriever!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
:jameo:

I'd worry more if I didn't hold baby as much, didn't had her within arms reach at all times, or left doggy and baby alone in the same room :rolleyes:
And one day this baby will be a toddler who you cannot keep your eye on every second of the day. You have a self admitted aggressive dog that bites in your home. And what happens when that toddler tries to pull his favorite toy from him? I shutter to think. :faint: Natural selection maybe?

morningbell

hmmmmmm
And one day this baby will be a toddler who you cannot keep your eye on every second of the day. You have a self admitted aggressive dog that bites in your home. And what happens when that toddler tries to pull his favorite toy from him? I shutter to think. :faint: Natural selection maybe?

:smack: If you reread my posts the first one says I have to get rid of a dog.
I read too many SOMD news links to leave a baby & dog alone :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
:smack: If you reread my posts the first one says I have to get rid of a dog.
I read too many SOMD news links to leave a baby & dog alone :rolleyes:
Sorry, your post came across a lil sarcastic, not as you were seriously going to get rid of the dog. Most here defend them to the hilt regardless of the facts. :huggy:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Uh-oh. So it looks like I have to get rid of a dog....

I commend you for wanting to give some love and caring to an animal that obviously hadn't had any before it came to you but if it has already bitten someone I am totally with you in a decision to find it another home. It only takes a few seconds of distraction or miscommunication about who's watching one of the children to result in a tragedy. I don't know you IRL, but from what I've seen on here I believe you to be a loving, caring Mom who puts children first. Not that my opinion really matters one way or the other but hear, hear for your decision to do the best for all concerned -- I'm sure it'll be hard to give up a pet. :huggy:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Sorry, your post came across a lil sarcastic, not as you were seriously going to get rid of the dog. Most here defend them to the hilt regardless of the facts. :huggy:

No worries Mikey. If I had zero kids in my life, I would keep her and probably every stray I came across. I have until June.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

I commend you for wanting to give some love and caring to an animal that obviously hadn't had any before it came to you but if it has already bitten someone I am totally with you in a decision to find it another home. It only takes a few seconds of distraction or miscommunication about who's watching one of the children to result in a tragedy. I don't know you IRL, but from what I've seen on here I believe you to be a loving, caring Mom who puts children first. Not that my opinion really matters one way or the other but hear, hear for your decision to do the best for all concerned -- I'm sure it'll be hard to give up a pet. :huggy:

Thank you :huggy: It stings but it has to be done.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:jameo:

I'd worry more if I didn't hold baby as much, didn't have her within arms reach at all times, or left doggy and baby alone in the same room :rolleyes:

My sister's baby is 5 mos old. She's got two pits - a male and a female. The female has always been on the nasty side. She got them both at the same time when they were little puppies. The male is a SWEETHEART and just as nice as you could ever want in a furry friend. I often wonder how they ended up with such different personalities.

Anyhow, the female has become more aggressive. She's very good with the baby, but is extremely cautious of people around him. I worry she'll bite or attack someone - or even go after the baby. You just never know. :ohwell:

TurboK9

Yea because you're always reading about labs, collies, shepherds, boxers, mauling children. :duh:

The dog had attacked before. Rotts along with Pitts are KNOWN maulers. What a shame a 4 year old has to die because people feel the need to own these VICIOUS animals.

Actually, most bites are committed by other breeds... Check this out... Customs Dog Bites Child At Dulles | WJTV.com there just happen to be very few fatalities, most of those committed by large powerful dogs. The reasons for the biting itself are the same.

And yes, these people were idiots. If either of my dogs ever so much as curls a lip without command or clear provocation it'd be a bullet in the brainpan.

Such an unnecessary waste of a little life...

TurboK9

My sister's baby is 5 mos old. She's got two pits - a male and a female. The female has always been on the nasty side. She got them both at the same time when they were little puppies. The male is a SWEETHEART and just as nice as you could ever want in a furry friend. I often wonder how they ended up with such different personalities.

Anyhow, the female has become more aggressive. She's very good with the baby, but is extremely cautious of people around him. I worry she'll bite or attack someone - or even go after the baby. You just never know. :ohwell:

If there is ANY doubt at all you keep the baby safe. She needs to ditch the female.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
If there is ANY doubt at all you keep the baby safe. She needs to ditch the female.

That's just not gonna' happen. She's only aggressive to adults and has never shown any ill emotion to children/kids.

My boxer is aggressive, too. But to me he's a sweetie and the biggest slobbery cuddle bug. There is no way I'd get rid of him simply because he doesn't like some people...but that's just me.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Only dog I've owned in my life that bit was a mixed breed..Lhasa Poodle. He was a year old and bit my 5 year son in the face. I was shocked. Fortunately it wasn't a bad bite but I was about to have son number 2. No question, dog was gone. A coworker took him..they had no children.

TurboK9

That's just not gonna' happen. She's only aggressive to adults and has never shown any ill emotion to children/kids.

My boxer is aggressive, too. But to me he's a sweetie and the biggest slobbery cuddle bug. There is no way I'd get rid of him simply because he doesn't like some people...but that's just me.

The dog shouldn't be aggressive to anyone... it doesn't matter if it's not aggressive to kids. If she shows unwarranted aggression she needs at a minimum, retraining. Anything less is irresponsible. What happens if there is an emergency at home and the medics etc need to get in and help mom and baby? What if she bites a guest? How do you know she's not mentally unstable? It's not a 'Pit' thing... I'd say the same if she was a Pug.

I'd hate to see someone wind up getting hurt when the signs are apparently already there. As much as someone might love their dog, the people around them need to come first.

thatguy

Actually, most bites are committed by other breeds... Check this out... Customs Dog Bites Child At Dulles | WJTV.com there just happen to be very few fatalities, most of those committed by large powerful dogs. The reasons for the biting itself are the same.

And yes, these people were idiots. If either of my dogs ever so much as curls a lip without command or clear provocation it'd be a bullet in the brainpan.

Such an unnecessary waste of a little life...

and that whole argument you were postering about certain breeds being naturaly inclined towards defense and guard type work because of there breed, how does that play into this particular argument?
Seems like you cant have it both ways, if some dogs have been bred to not have the instinct to NOT ATTACK PEOPLE as you claimed in another thread, wouldn't that also mean that certain breeds are more inclined to ATTACK PEOPLE?

TurboK9

and that whole argument you were postering about certain breeds being naturaly inclined towards defense and guard type work because of there breed, how does that play into this particular argument?
Seems like you cant have it both ways, if some dogs have been bred to not have the instinct to NOT ATTACK PEOPLE as you claimed in another thread, wouldn't that also mean that certain breeds are more inclined to ATTACK PEOPLE?

No, it doesn't. Some take to the training better, because of natural factors, yes. That training involves clear provocation of the dog. However, all breeds should have a natural bent toward not biting in unprovoked situations. The simple result of 40,000 + years of being killed for biting when it wasn't warranted.

Nice to see you again, I see you are still as antagonistic and ignorant as ever, and so I think I'll just have to put you on my ignore list! See ya!