Backing up to a Gooseneck

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
What's the easiest way for one person to line the trailer up? I have a king cab dualie, so just looking at the ball isn't the answer. I'm too short to see it i guess.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
happyappygirl said:
What's the easiest way for one person to line the trailer up? I have a king cab dualie, so just looking at the ball isn't the answer. I'm too short to see it i guess.

I know goose necks handle a little different, but backing should generally be the same.

Use your rearview side mirrors, which ever mirror you can see the trailer in turn your wheel slowy towards that mirror and your trailer will straighten out. Make small corrections and you should be a pro in no time.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Happy I have a bed liner and I use a "grove" to follow..You can NOT just see the ball...Also Robins boyfriend makes a retractable pen like thing with a red tip on it you can put by your ball and back up to it...but I usually use the GROVE method..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
BadGirl said:
I know goose necks handle a little different, but backing should generally be the same.

Use your rearview side mirrors, which ever mirror you can see the trailer in turn your wheel slowy towards that mirror and your trailer will straighten out. Make small corrections and you should be a pro in no time.

Psst she is hooking up to the ball not moving the trailer..at this point it is not even hooked up yet.. :smack:

mingiz

Horse Poor
:howdy: Happy it's like Paso said use the bed of you truck as a spotter for you. I go by the middle grove in my bed for center. But I can see the ball if I stand up in the seat. If you can't see it Get someone to help you the first time then after the trailer is on the ball. Get your self a sharpie and mark a line on the right side of your bed rail where you can see the mark and that would be your alignment for the side to side angle/ how far forward you need to be. One guy I know took an old bicycle or motor cycle mirror and mounted it on the from of the gooseneck coupler and used that so he could see the ball to line up the ball... :howdy:

Cowgirl

Happy, do you have an extended cab truck? I have never had problems hooking up a gooseneck...but I've only done it with a regular cab truck.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Cowgirl said:
Happy, do you have an extended cab truck? I have never had problems hooking up a gooseneck...but I've only done it with a regular cab truck.

I have a crew cab dually too..and you can NOT see the ball when backing up no matter what you do..Happy is short too...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pasofever said:
I have a crew cab dually too..and you can NOT see the ball when backing up no matter what you do..Happy is short too...
:frown: tattletale...

i'll check some of the links ya'll sent. what's this retractable thingie?? i asked RC if i could use tape to mark the bed and window and he laughed at me and just told me to always have someone back me on. :tantrum me thinks he just doesn't want me to hook the stupid thing up myself.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
mingiz said:
:howdy: Happy it's like Paso said use the bed of you truck as a spotter for you. I go by the middle grove in my bed for center. But I can see the ball if I stand up in the seat. If you can't see it Get someone to help you the first time then after the trailer is on the ball. Get your self a sharpie and mark a line on the right side of your bed rail where you can see the mark and that would be your alignment for the side to side angle/ how far forward you need to be. One guy I know took an old bicycle or motor cycle mirror and mounted it on the from of the gooseneck coupler and used that so he could see the ball to line up the ball... :howdy:

oh the little mirror is a great idea:whack:
I never thought of it.

The align quick thing works well. I got one at northern for this one boat I had and it was easy peasy. No more bent license plates :lmao:

but of course some colored tape placed just right will do wonders on a fifth wheel

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pasofever said:
Psst she is hooking up to the ball not moving the trailer..at this point it is not even hooked up yet.. :smack:
Figure a girl would be confused and get that all screwed up..

covekat

I have an extended cab.. I use an old tobacco stick, line it up with the ball, and hang it off the end of the bed of the truck, I've learned how far to back up without hitting the trailer... works every time!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
covekat said:
I have an extended cab.. I use an old tobacco stick, line it up with the ball, and hang it off the end of the bed of the truck, I've learned how far to back up without hitting the trailer... works every time!
:confused: huh??

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
covekat said:

:yikes: I have never hit the trailer..