Bands and Musicians - that INSPIRED you as a kid

SamSpade

I recall a time when I used to listen to music deliberately, the way people watch TV or movies. And it usually didn't matter what kind of music it was, I'd sit down and listen to it if I felt like it. You know - sit and listen to a whole Zep album or a whole symphony.

I haven't done that in decades, and it occurred to me the other day talking to someone that pretty much none of the artists I ever listened to seemed - inspiring. As though I felt they were talking to me or addressing things on my mind. I've read books that did that; I've even heard music I felt moving - anything from Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto to Handel's Messiah and so on.

But I realize that for some people - the music talks to them.

The closest that ever was for me was Kansas. And maybe Cat Stevens. But - not really.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've had songs that inspired me, but not a whole band. Some songwriters are genuine poets and I tend to focus on the words of a song rather than the music.

The other day we were at a bar and the guy in control of the jukebox was a hardcore metal head. Got me to reminiscing about my housecleaning play list.... Black Sabbath, White Zombie, Slayer.....

Grumpy

The closest that ever was for me was Kansas. And maybe Cat Stevens. But - not really.
Kansas?? wow..I put them in the same category that some put Journey..:lol: no disrespect..Cat Stevens had a few songs/lyrics that I really enjoyed, Father and Son come to mind. Most 'oldie' music I hear now I enjoy for nostalgic reasons, reminds me of certain times in life.. Alot of the mid 60s tunes make me think I am smelling pool chlorine due to the times I heard the songs at a local pool playing on the jukebox.

SamSpade

Kansas?? wow..I put them in the same category that some put Journey..

I had most of their albums - they had about four or five even before Leftoverture, and I found a lot of their stuff profound.
(I have the same feeling about Journey but for the fact that most of their songs seem to be sappy melodrama).
Later, Kerry Livgren would go full Christian rock with the band - most of the songs we know happened during the time
he was most challenged about what he would believe. THOSE did speak to me.

I just found Cat Stevens soothing, and I'd read about his personal life during the time the songs came out - so some of them
were dealing with heartbreak and others about close calls with death.

Auntie Biache'

"kid" is subjective, I guess-10cc, Pink Floyd, Rare Earth, Mothers Finest...I'm all over the place with music, but I think those groups got me started on music that's "outside the box".