Barbaro update-

PrepH4U

Busterduck said:
That is a wonderful article :huggy: ; thanks so much for sharing. :flowers:

Yesterday, I just lost my rescue pony. :bawl: We did the best we could for her but years of neglect topped with damage to her brain and spinal column from EPM was just too much for her. We will miss her very much.
I am so sorry! :huggy:

Lilypad

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro spent his weekend relaxing but might have another cast change this week, according to Dr. Dean Richardson, chief of surgery at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals in Kennett Square, Pa.

"He's maintaining an excellent attitude," Richardson said in a prepared statement. "We change his left hind foot cast regularly, and we may change his right hind cast sometime this week."

Richardson said Barbaro continues to spend several hours daily in a sling but is out of it overnight, "because he is very smart about lying down and sleeping."

Barbaro's eating habits also remain healthy. "He continues to eat a diet designed to maximize protein and caloric intake, and his body condition is good for a horse that has had [and is having] his problems," Richardson said. "His diet includes a selection of the best quality hay."

R

remaxrealtor

Lilypad said:
Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro spent his weekend relaxing but might have another cast change this week, according to Dr. Dean Richardson, chief of surgery at the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals in Kennett Square, Pa.

"He's maintaining an excellent attitude," Richardson said in a prepared statement. "We change his left hind foot cast regularly, and we may change his right hind cast sometime this week."

Richardson said Barbaro continues to spend several hours daily in a sling but is out of it overnight, "because he is very smart about lying down and sleeping."

Barbaro's eating habits also remain healthy. "He continues to eat a diet designed to maximize protein and caloric intake, and his body condition is good for a horse that has had [and is having] his problems," Richardson said. "His diet includes a selection of the best quality hay."

Thanks for the news....proves how incredible these animals are! :huggy:

Lilypad

Update-

Several encouraging words in the latest update from the doctor treating Kentucky Derby champion Barbaro, who's been suffering from life-threatening injuries to both hind legs and two weeks ago appeared to be in imminent danger.

Dr. Dean Richardson:

• Says he is "happy with the appearance" of Barbaro's left foot.

• Notes that Barbaro's "temperature has been normal and his blood work has significantly improved."

• Reports his heart rate "is also consistently normal now, a good indication that he is stable and comfortable."

W

WildHorses

Lilypad said:
Several encouraging words in the latest update from the doctor treating Kentucky Derby champion Barbaro, who's been suffering from life-threatening injuries to both hind legs and two weeks ago appeared to be in imminent danger.

Dr. Dean Richardson:

• Says he is "happy with the appearance" of Barbaro's left foot.

• Notes that Barbaro's "temperature has been normal and his blood work has significantly improved."

• Reports his heart rate "is also consistently normal now, a good indication that he is stable and comfortable."

Thank you for keeping everyone updated. :flowers:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
WildHorses said:
Thank you for keeping everyone updated. :flowers:

You know truly Barbero isn't going to ever race again. If I was the owner as I think they are going there, is to stud him out. Meaning that he has to be strong enough to hold himself up to make baby's. Or DNA. Get his sperm and go with it. But the owners are not going to make as much money being a sperm donor. ie.. The dude as to be able to mount that thing.

YOU got me?

BlackSheep

unixpirate said:
You know truly Barbero isn't going to ever race again. If I was the owner as I think they are going there, is to stud him out. Meaning that he has to be strong enough to hold himself up to make baby's. Or DNA. Get his sperm and go with it. But the owners are not going to make as much money being a sperm donor. ie.. The dude as to be able to mount that thing.

YOU got me?
Are you smokin crack? :whistle:

fredsaid2

unixpirate said:

YOU got me?

I don't think the idea of future breeding is the point. They want him to have a chance to live out his life but only if he can be comfortable. Most believe he'll never be strong enough to breed as TBs have to go the natural route, no artificial insemination. Besides, say he ends up healthy and pasture sound - why would they want to jeopardize his soundness by standing him at stud? Not everyone is in it for the money.

W

WildHorses

fredsaid2 said:
I don't think the idea of future breeding is the point. They want him to have a chance to live out his life but only if he can be comfortable. Most believe he'll never be strong enough to breed as TBs have to go the natural route, no artificial insemination. Besides, say he ends up healthy and pasture sound - why would they want to jeopardize his soundness by standing him at stud? Not everyone is in it for the money.

I really don't think the owners NEED the money and I believe they love the horse. :flowers:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
WildHorses said:
I really don't think the owners NEED the money and I believe they love the horse. :flowers:

Barbaro is one heck of a trooper. :yahoo:
The owners I believe have his best interest at heart and are hoping he is going to be able to live out a great horse life.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I think the owners are sitting on a sword. 99.99% (probably even more) of the tbreds who broke a leg as badly as he did get put down. I think because it happened publicly in front of millions of people they may have felt more pressure to have him hospitilized. It happens frequently on the track and in the training stables, much more frequently than the public knows. I'm still not sure myself if it wouldn't be better for him to be euthanized than the route they are going now. And yes, to be registered with the Thorobred Jockey Club (for race horses) the breeding must be live cover. Once he is pasture sound I don't think live cover would be too difficult. There are a few techniques they can use to make it easier for him. Standing briefly on two legs vs four won't be too demanding on him. The fee they could charge for stud fee will be fantastic. Although if I was looking for a possible stud I don't think I would look at one that had broken down on the track. I'd be looking for one that had a long career and a pretty decent record. Why breed a horse who may have an underlying weakness and pass those genetics on? But some people just look at his speed record and will hope to get those genes.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Although now that he is on the mend and being treated I'm definitely pulling for him hope he can recover! :flowers:

Lilypad

Barbaro remains stable; radiographs look good

July 28, 2006

KENNETT SQUARE, PA — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro continues to be stable after another comfortable night according to Chief of Surgery Dean Richardson. His right hind leg cast was changed late Wednesday. “We took new radiographs, and they look good,” said Dr. Richardson. “No problems were evident.” In addition, the modified foot cast on Barbaro’s left hind foot, which has laminitis, is changed daily so the foot can be treated and watched for signs of infection.

“Barbaro has a strong appetite and he has been enjoying hand-picked grass daily and ‘healthy snacks,’” said Dr. Richardson.

changeling

Lilypad said:
July 28, 2006

KENNETT SQUARE, PA — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro continues to be stable after another comfortable night according to Chief of Surgery Dean Richardson. His right hind leg cast was changed late Wednesday. “We took new radiographs, and they look good,” said Dr. Richardson. “No problems were evident.” In addition, the modified foot cast on Barbaro’s left hind foot, which has laminitis, is changed daily so the foot can be treated and watched for signs of infection.

“Barbaro has a strong appetite and he has been enjoying hand-picked grass daily and ‘healthy snacks,’” said Dr. Richardson.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Lilypad

Update-

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro’s left hind hoof is slowly showing evidence of regrowth after surgery last month to treat laminitis. Laminitis occurs when laminae, the strong connecting tis sues that attach the pedal bone and the inner hoof wall, are inflamed. “The coronary band (the portion of the hoof that is responsible for continued downward growth of the hoof) is beginning to re-establish itself," said Dean Richardson, Chief of Surgery at the George D. Widener Hospital.

Barbaro’s right hind leg continues to be protected in a cast. “The original fractures have apparently healed well, but the cast is necessary to protect the pastern fusion,” Dr. Richardson said. “This protection is required because he must bear most of his weight on the right hind limb due to the laminitis in the left hind leg.”

Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the University of Pennsylvania’s George D. Widener Hospital.

The next update will be posted on Tuesday, August 8, unless there is a significant change in Barbaro’s condition.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
:huggy: Barbaro. I was so happy to read this morning he's still improving. Hang in there Barbaro..we're all pulling for you :flowers: .

Lilypad

Barbaro was expected to have the cast on his right rear leg changed late yesterday to give his doctors an opportunity to take new X-rays.

No further details were given and the next update is expected sometime today.... :yay:

Lilypad

Update-

KENNETT SQUARE, PA — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is doing well this morning after the cast on his right hind limb was changed late yesterday afternoon under general anesthesia. “The leg looked good under the cast, especially considering the length of time that he has been in a cast,” said Dr. Dean Richardson, Chief of Surgery. “The radiographs also were encouraging. There is no sign of active infection. This is further supported by his markedly improving blood values over the last two weeks. He had an excellent pool recovery; he is a very intelligent horse and has definitely figured out the whole process.”

The cast on the right hind leg encloses the foot and extends up to just below the hock. It will continue to be changed regularly until the fractures and joint fusions have healed completely enough to sustain full weight bearing.

The bandage and protective boot on Barbaro's laminitic left hind foot continues to be changed daily. “The appearance of the foot is very good. It is dry and healthy looking with excellent early regrowth at the coronary band,” said Dr. Richardson.

Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the University of Pennsylvania’s George D. Widener Hospital.

The next update will be posted on Tuesday, August 15 unless there is a significant change in Barbaro’s condition.