Barr: Be nicer to cops!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Judging by the stats showing less and less police being hurt by citizens, and more citizens being hurt by police for trivial matters, I'm not convinced it's the citizens that need to take the first step in doing what they've always done. Largely support police.
And yet, here we go....

This criminal act (if true) needs to be roundly & universally condemned and the perp put away for a long time. That would be how the public takes the first step. Until then, cops will continue to be in reactive, self-protective mode.

What there needs to be is a concerned effort, grassroots, tree roots, for the creation of a Uniform Code of Policing Justice, (UCPJ), adopted at the Federal, and State level, in all 50 States. Just like the UCMJ for the Military. And enforce the hell out of it. The only difference? A Courts Martial type trail, would be comprised of civilians. These folks want to play soldier against the citizens? Then there must be hard and fast rules to weed out and punish those to be held accountable for their actions.
I (mostly) like your idea.

If the legs that prop up the "bad cop" mentality are cut out from under them, then we can rightly move forward with something like what you're suggesting. I'm not keen on civilians being the jurors, though; all you've done is swing the pendulum from "cops protecting their own" to "citizens paying the cops back."

--- End of line (MCP)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And yet, here we go....

This criminal act (if true) needs to be roundly & universally condemned and the perp put away for a long time. That would be how the public takes the first step. Until then, cops will continue to be in reactive, self-protective mode.

I (mostly) like your idea.

If the legs that prop up the "bad cop" mentality are cut out from under them, then we can rightly move forward with something like what you're suggesting. I'm not keen on civilians being the jurors, though; all you've done is swing the pendulum from "cops protecting their own" to "citizens paying the cops back."

--- End of line (MCP)
Somewhat, disagreeable. However, respect.