Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds

• Bonds is a good player and thats that.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • He's a cheater

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I don't think the steroids helped him, but I'm going to play that card because he's a prick.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I don't care one way or another

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Daly is...

Pete said:
Read his wiki biography. Daly is a mans man. :lmao: With all the shiat that guy has done to himself and had happen the fact he still gets up in the morning is enough for me to admire him.

...a freaking mess. He just wanders on from one train wreck to the next, doing, basically, the same things wrong over and over again, leaving chaos in his wake.

mainman

Set Trippin
Larry Gude said:
Tim Duncan. Super super star who choose to be a rather regular Joe.

Tiger. Is anyone living a life more than Tiger that you'd like to see your son live?
Tim Duncan is an excellent choice...:yay: as well as Tiger! :yay:

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...a freaking mess. He just wanders on from one train wreck to the next, doing, basically, the same things wrong over and over again, leaving chaos in his wake.
Well yea there is that :lmao:

donbarzini

otter said:
I am not taking sides with McGwire(he was and is an ass)..but he WAS always a big guy and a power hitter..His rookie year, he had 35 homers at the all-star break..You can't say the same for Sosa and Bonds.

At first I thought that too. But a couple of weeks ago I was looking at rookie pics of McGwire on yahoo...........the change in the size of his HEAD is amazing. And if I were a pitcher facing Bonds, I would drill him in the ribs every tome up until I got tossed. Simply because he is a prick. Throw out the "juice". He has ALWAYS pulled a Ric Flair at the plate. How many triples has he turned into doubles and doubles into singles by being awed by the magnificence of every fly ball he's ever hit? How can you coach a kid to not watch the ball when they see a$$holes like Bonds, Manny, Sheffield et al.... admiring the arc of a simple fly ball?

Otter

Nothing to see here
donbarzini said:
At first I thought that too. But a couple of weeks ago I was looking at rookie pics of McGwire on yahoo...........the change in the size of his HEAD is amazing.

I can't argue that, but my point is that as a rookie, he was hitting them out at probably 400 feet..after his chemistry lessons, he was hitting them at 450. He was always a power hitter..The same can't be said for Bonds,Sosa,..etal

Otter

Nothing to see here
mainman said:
Makes me think.... Can you name a professional athlete that you respect?

I respected K_Jo in double dutch rope skipping until she retired due to top heaviness.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd be curious...

otter said:
I can't argue that, but my point is that as a rookie, he was hitting them out at probably 400 feet..after his chemistry lessons, he was hitting them at 450. He was always a power hitter..The same can't be said for Bonds,Sosa,..etal

...how people in the know would quantify steroid benefits. You just described a, basically, 10% increase.

Does 10% less homers sound right for Bonds? 10% shorter career?

The deeper problem of steroids is they rob the fans of appreciation of the truly, naturally exceptional like Ruth, Satchel, Di Maggio and Cal.

I used to think of Bonds and DiMaggio in the same physical class.

Until Barry went Hulk Hogan on us.

donbarzini

Larry Gude said:
...how people in the know would quantify steroid benefits. You just described a, basically, 10% increase.

The deeper problem of steroids is they rob the fans of appreciation of the truly, naturally exceptional like Ruth, Satchel, Di Maggio and Cal.

Actually, I think with the physical shape he was in early in his career, he probably could have gone longer than he is going to be able to go know because of the joint problems he's having with carrying the "false weight".
The 10% reduction in total sounds low to me. I did the math in my head quickly this way:

Most right field fences are......say.......320ft. So to keep the rightfielder from making SportsCenter's top ten you gotta hit it say......330. Take 10% off and you've got 297. Warning track power.

Bonds and The Yankee Clipper is an EXCELLENT analogy. Bonds was, in his earlier incarnation, like a thoroughbred. Built for short bursts of speed. He was an excellent fielder, and at the plate, he was the ultimate gap hitter.
But then he became a Clydesdale, and now he can't get out of his own way.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:

Close to impossible to quantify the benefits of steroids. Only thing that I think is fact is that the muscles recover more quickly after exertion. My description was really a shot in the dark, there are so many views on the benefits/non benefits of steroids that its hard to separate fact from fiction. Alot of these guys that played during the late 80s and 90s used the wonder powders like Creatine(sp?) that were completely legal at the time and were eventually banned.

If Ruth was playing at this time, with the media's attention to reporting ANYTHING to stir the pot, would his career have lasted as long as it did without suspensions??