Barry Bonds

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
WTH is going on??? Am I the only person in America that isn't :jameo: about his alleged steroid use?? The frickin' Fed is going after him like he's some serial killer.

Hell, they don't even go after cocaine abusers like they go after steroids. What part of this story am I missing? :confused:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vraiblonde said:
WTH is going on??? Am I the only person in America that isn't :jameo: about his alleged steroid use?? The frickin' Fed is going after him like he's some serial killer.

Hell, they don't even go after cocaine abusers like they go after steroids. What part of this story am I missing? :confused:
I doubt anyone but baseball would have cared about him if he hadn't lied under oath. Just like Slick Willie: It's not the act, it's lying that'll get ya.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I heard he has never failed a drug test. Now I know there are ways around it, but I figure if Barry was using steroids all the time like they say, it would of been harder to continually pass these tests. So if he never tested positive, how can they say he lied about using? I dont get it. It seems its the guy who wrote the books word against Barrys

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
What part of this story am I missing? :confused:
I think part of it has to do with Bonds' personality. He has a reputation for being arrogant and imperious, plus there's MMDad's point about Bonds lying about his use. I read that some fans are tossing syringes at him during games. By comparison, Sosa slumped after he couldn't get his steroids, so he became a tragic figure who got what he deserved.

Also, I can't speak for other fans, but I think the career home run record will be forever tainted by Bonds' steroid use, even if another player passes Bonds in the decades to come. How can anyone determine how many runs Bonds would have had if he stayed off the juice? What do you do, come up with a formula to move some of his runs to the triple column, since steroids are about hitting power? That would be a train wreck.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Bonds didn't fail any steroid tests because there weren't any steroid tests until recently.

Its not Bond's word against the authors of the book. I suggest you read the book or the Sports Illustrated article based on the book, its Bond's word against a mountain of evidence that says he used a variety of steroids over a number of years.

He's also in trouble for hiding income. He was using autograph money to buy his girlfriend a house without reporting it as income.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
I think part of it has to do with Bonds' personality. He has a reputation for being arrogant and imperious, plus there's MMDad's point about Bonds lying about his use. I read that some fans are tossing syringes at him during games. By comparison, Sosa slumped after he couldn't get his steroids, so he became a tragic figure who got what he deserved.

Also, I can't speak for other fans, but I think the career home run record will be forever tainted by Bonds' steroid use, even if another player passes Bonds in the decades to come. How can anyone determine how many runs Bonds would have had if he stayed off the juice? What do you do, come up with a formula to move some of his runs to the triple column, since steroids are about hitting power? That would be a train wreck.
I think you strip him of the record. It never happened since he was not competing by the rules. It would serve as a great example to other players, too.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
According to some he was playing by the rules. MLB had no rules against steroid use until 2002.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The deal...

vraiblonde said:

...baseball is/was the national pastime. It is THE sport where all the numbers have deeper meaning; Most home runs, consecutive games, wins, etc., so, it is seen as this sacred link to the past.

Baseball is also a monopoly, a very lucrative monopoly.

Baseball is very public; the world series draws many of us together. Stadium deals and team movements become very public (ie, politicians are deeply involved.)

So, to save their monopoly status, baseball must, like poloticians, react to whatever it is that has the public eye at the moment; immigration, the war, Katrina.

Right now it is steroids and it is because Bonds stands to break Hank Aarons all time home run record that has the publics attention.

It is seen as a taint on a sacred record that Bonds would eclipse it by cheating.

None of this mattered when he wasn't close to the record and baseball, after the 1994 strike, needed the public to forgive and forget and come back to the game; thus the excitement of home runs. Bonds. McGuire. Sosa.

It's coming up, his passing the record, and it is on everyones radar who cares about baseball, especially pols who can be seen as doing something for the sanctity of the national passtime.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Interesting you would say that...

2ndAmendment said:
I think you strip him of the record. It never happened since he was not competing by the rules. It would serve as a great example to other players, too.

...Mr. Black and White.

Bonds didn't break any rules as turdin pointed out. Now what do you think?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
baileydog said:
I heard he has never failed a drug test. Now I know there are ways around it, but I figure if Barry was using steroids all the time like they say, it would of been harder to continually pass these tests. So if he never tested positive, how can they say he lied about using? I dont get it. It seems its the guy who wrote the books word against Barrys

There are MANY ways around the drug test, and someone of that stature, would definitely know all the ways.

But, they are pressing Bonds so much because he is about to break the most prized records in baseball, Ruth and Aaron, and he has already publically said he wants to break Ruth's record, but not Aarons... Now, depending how you look at that, could it be a race thing :shrug: its possible. Now on the other hand, Aaron is his god father, so maybe thats why he doesnt want to break his record, for what all Aaron did for blacks and baseball. never know.

But, Aaron has said himself, in an interview, that if Bonds is caught for this steriod abuse, he thinks Bonds should be out of the game, and his accomplishments forgotten. Strong words from a godfather, but also, a strong point.

Look at who held ALL these records before they were even close to being caught, look at the time frame, look at their body shape compared to the guys catching them now.... There is no way that they never used illegal drugs..

I think, if he gets busted, they should suspend him indefinitely.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Barrys body is breaking down without his candy, he'll be lucky to break Ruth's home run record. As of now, hitting 188, 2 singles and a double, 1 rbi..He's history.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
MMDad said:
Who hurt the game more? Pete Rose or Bonds?

Im not going to just point at Bonds, but I will ad in McGwire, Palmero, Sosa, Canseco... ALL of the steriod guys..I do believe they and all this steriod stuff has tremedously hurt the game, the fan respect, the national respect, and many other things...

Rose bet on his OWN team, and everyone bets, whether it be a dollar, of 100 thousand dollars... Its not like he was playing the game different, different players or anything, he was betting his team would win...

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Softballkid said:
Im not going to just point at Bonds, but I will ad in McGwire, Palmero, Sosa, Canseco... ALL of the steriod guys..I do believe they and all this steriod stuff has tremedously hurt the game, the fan respect, the national respect, and many other things...

Rose bet on his OWN team, and everyone bets, whether it be a dollar, of 100 thousand dollars... Its not like he was playing the game different, different players or anything, he was betting his team would win...
But could Rose PROVE he only bet on his team to win? :confused: I don't know the answer. I doubt anyone really knows the answer whether he ever bet against his team except him. If he ever bet against his team, then there is real reason for suspicion that the game was thrown if he played in it. So, don't bet on baseball is the rule.

I think they have all equally tarnished professional baseball.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
2ndAmendment said:
But could Rose PROVE he only bet on his team to win? :confused: I don't know the answer. I doubt anyone really knows the answer whether he ever bet against his team except him. If he ever bet against his team, then there is real reason for suspicion that the game was thrown if he played in it. So, don't bet on baseball is the rule.

I think they have all equally tarnished professional baseball.

Well, from what has been proven / said, Rose has only been caught betting when he was coaching. But, I dont think that tarnishes baseball as much because he wasnt dealing with records that have stood for years and years...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
otter said:
Barrys body is breaking down without his candy, he'll be lucky to break Ruth's home run record. As of now, hitting 188, 2 singles and a double, 1 rbi..He's history.
I think that will be his true punishment.