Barska Biometric Gun Safe

PsyOps

Pixelated
when i was thinking about a safe a friend pointed me to this video.
Security On Sale - YouTube
(about half way through the video they break into a safe with little effort)
basically convinced me that a cabiunet is more than enough to keep the kids out, but a safe isn't enough to keep the bad guys out. I ended up buying a safe anyway, but mostly for fire protection.

Okay, you're not making any sense. You ended up buying a safe anyway? What else would you have bought?

I'm a little suspect of the video. When they got to the bottom of the safe the bolt did not appear to have been engaged into the frame. In any event, the guy never recommended what to buy. That appeared to be a good quality safe with 1" bolts. A smart person would bolt their safe to the floor or wall making it impossible to pry it open that way.

I fail to see the purpose. :shrug:

Inkd

Does anyone own one of these? I'm considering getting one and wondering how reliable they are.

Any recommendations for quick-access gun vaults?

Are you interested in something that would hold maybe one handgun and could be mounted on a nightstand or something to hold multiple weapons, like a large safe?

Midnightrider

Okay, you're not making any sense. You ended up buying a safe anyway? What else would you have bought?

I'm a little suspect of the video. When they got to the bottom of the safe the bolt did not appear to have been engaged into the frame. In any event, the guy never recommended what to buy. That appeared to be a good quality safe with 1" bolts. A smart person would bolt their safe to the floor or wall making it impossible to pry it open that way.

I fail to see the purpose. :shrug:

I bought a safe for the fire protection. I have some nicer stuff and some that has special significance to me that I wanted to protect.

If you don't believe that video go to mdshooters.com and search for safe broken into. You will see a quality safe opened in the same manner. If these were mounted it would be harder, but far from impossible. In a normal home construction it's going to be hard to find a way to attach it so that it couldn't be pried from the wall or the floor. Even if you did, I'd imagine a bad guy could still get enough leverage to get the bottom popped and then It's all over.

Your other choice for a large storage would be a gun cabinet. Much less expensive and plenty to keep kids and casual visitors to your house from stealing your guns.

BTW, the Vline personal safes are seriously your best bet for a handgun vault to keep at the ready. They aren't flashy, but they don't rely on batteries or digital scanners, so they work every time.

Pushrod

Patriot
All a thief needs is a metal cut off wheel on a grinder and he can be through the side of a safe in short order.

All safes really do is delay entry, which raises the odds that the thief will get caught. The better the safe, the longer it will take to gain entry, but they will gain entry if they want to.

Definetly bolt the safe down, to the concrete slab if possible. Without the leverage of the safe thrown on its back, its much less likely to pry the door open.

Oh, and most of the fire-protection is bullcrap. Most house fires reach temperatures well in excess of what safes are rated for. Look up some of the pictures of gun firesafes interiors after a fire, like a blast furnace with nothing left but burnt metal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, and most of the fire-protection is bullcrap. Most house fires reach temperatures well in excess of what safes are rated for. Look up some of the pictures of gun firesafes interiors after a fire, like a blast furnace with nothing left but burnt metal.

True that. Even the highest fire-rated safe available would have not protected my collection in the fire we experienced last year. But that said...not all fires are that severe.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Put a padlock on an old refrigerator..

Fire Proof safe.. voila!!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Are you interested in something that would hold maybe one handgun and could be mounted on a nightstand or something to hold multiple weapons, like a large safe?

For rifles, hanguns, ammo, personals... I know I need a vault/safe, but wanted one for quick access. It does no good to store your weapons in something you have to spin a dial back and forth. And I don't want to keep them out in the open.

Vince

Keep most of my guns in something like this. Got one that is quick access.

Attachments

• Gun safe.jpg
    Gun safe.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 95

PsyOps

Pixelated
I bought a safe for the fire protection. I have some nicer stuff and some that has special significance to me that I wanted to protect.

If you don't believe that video go to mdshooters.com and search for safe broken into. You will see a quality safe opened in the same manner. If these were mounted it would be harder, but far from impossible. In a normal home construction it's going to be hard to find a way to attach it so that it couldn't be pried from the wall or the floor. Even if you did, I'd imagine a bad guy could still get enough leverage to get the bottom popped and then It's all over.

Your other choice for a large storage would be a gun cabinet. Much less expensive and plenty to keep kids and casual visitors to your house from stealing your guns.

BTW, the Vline personal safes are seriously your best bet for a handgun vault to keep at the ready. They aren't flashy, but they don't rely on batteries or digital scanners, so they work every time.

I suppose if they wanted it bad enough. I imagine a petty thief would see the vault and not even waste time with it. They want to get in and out quickly. Or pry it off the wall and just drag the whole thing out of the house.

I’ve looked at the v-lines. I’ll check them out some more. I really want something I can store all my firearms though, and some personal stuff.

Midnightrider

I suppose if they wanted it bad enough. I imagine a petty thief would see the vault and not even waste time with it. They want to get in and out quickly. Or pry it off the wall and just drag the whole thing out of the house.

I’ve looked at the v-lines. I’ll check them out some more. I really want something I can store all my firearms though, and some personal stuff.

I have both because I want one close by and relatively handy and I want the majority in a more secure place. Where my safe is there isn't much that is combustible so I would hope the 1/2 hr its supposed to buy you might actually protect the contents. In a big fire everything would be gone anyway, just like if you have a determined crook.

If I didn't have a youngster to worry about I would go with a loaded pistol in a small display case with a glass top and a small hammer sitting next to it. In a real emergency break the glass, Otherwise find the keys. Everything else in a safe or cabinet.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And if your need is a firearm for emergency use, don't lock it up. Keep it handy.
Where you can get to it. In an emergency.

If I were to get one.. and if I had the chance to hold one in my hand..

I bet the Sig Sauer R400 would be easy to hide about ANYwhere.

I bet it's nice and compact, easy to control.. First thing that would come to mind when first picking it up would probably be.. WOW, how tiny!!

IF I were to get one, I think I'd also look at buying the complete .22 caliber upper for it too.

Inkd

For rifles, hanguns, ammo, personals... I know I need a vault/safe, but wanted one for quick access. It does no good to store your weapons in something you have to spin a dial back and forth. And I don't want to keep them out in the open.

Sorry, my internet was down for a couple days and wasn't able to reply.

For a bedside, ready accessible single handgun vault, this model is very good. It has a biometric scan where all you need to do is put your finger on the scaner and it opens up with the weapon readily presented.

SVB500 SpeedVault | GunVault | GunVault

Not knowing your family situation, meaning small children, I am hesitant to give advice on home defense. Assuming you do not have small children in the house, I would probably go to sleep with the vault open to reduce fumbling around if you are woken out of a sound sleep. If you have children, leave it locked.

This model has a plate where you can mount it to a night table or bedframe. If it was me, when I was gone for the day, I would actually hide the weapon somewhere else. If someone sees a vault mounted to your bed during a break in, odds are they will try to break it loose and carry it away with them to try to open later.

I don't have kids so my methods vary. I keep a very powerful flashlight and a revolver next to my bed, between the bed and the nightstand. When I leave for the day, I either lock the gun in a larger safe or hide it in one of the numerous books I have. If I have my nephews down or friends with kids over, every thing is locked up in a safe.

I hollowed out pages of a few large books that are large enough to hold a gun, kinda like how Andy Dufrense hid the rock hammer in Shawshank Redemption. I figure thieves are going to not bother with a wall of books. At least, when I was broken into in Texas, they didn't. I had my nightstand drawer opened and flung everywhere, bearuea drawers opened and emptied out but not a book was touched. I guess Hemingway and Capstick wasn't their cup of tea?

As far as a large, lockable vault type safe, the only advice I can give you is to buy the highest quality you can afford and go bigger than you think you will ever need.

I wound up storing jewelry and wills for friends on deployment, I keep copies of my medical and service record in mine, along with momentos that I don't want to lose.

Try to mount it, either to a floor or to the wall to make it tougher for any thieves to flip it on it's side. Dessicant is good to have for them too, unless you can get one that has a way to run a goldenrod dehumidifier into.

If you want, PM me and I will give you the contact info for a professional locksmith who deals in safes. He is a wealth of knowledge on this subject.