Baseball Stadium

navygirl

Has anyone heard if a minor league baseball stadium is really going to be built in Hughesville? I'm concerned about the impact to the surrounding housing market (not sure if it will increase or decrease home values), although I like the idea of having more options for family entertainment in the tri-county area.

H

HollowSoul

Originally posted by navygirl
Has anyone heard if a minor league baseball stadium is really going to be built in Hughesville? I'm concerned about the impact to the surrounding housing market (not sure if it will increase or decrease home values), although I like the idea of having more options for family entertainment in the tri-county area.
don't count on it....the closest thin to a stadium that the smibs will ever see is if someone draws a diamond in the dirt and they pile cinder blocks arount it for a view

D

dutch6

Originally posted by navygirl
Actually they have been discussing it. It may not take place until 2010 or maybe not at all but they are discussing it.

John Z

if you will
Let's just hope they concentrate on the bypass first. The last thing we need is the baseball stadium adding more traffic through the narrow-azz Hughesville Squeeze.

They are seriously talking about it. It would be built (supposedly) on the south side of Rt. 231, east of existing Rt. 5, along the bypass.

W

wmsaunders

Yeah, I've heard this as well. If your wondering about the property values being affected - take a look at what some of the dumps in Bowie are going for these days. I dont know if the increase is a result of the stadium in Bowie but the property values are through the roof.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by John Z
Let's just hope they concentrate on the bypass first. The last thing we need is the baseball stadium adding more traffic through the narrow-azz Hughesville Squeeze.

The state says it plans to start on the bypass this fall. I hope it doesn't take as long to finish as the Route 235 widening.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Tonio
The state says it plans to start on the bypass this fall. I hope it doesn't take as long to finish as the Route 235 widening.

Theoretically the work on the bypass shouldn't affect the traffic on route 5 until the point where they actually have to connect the two. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by sleuth
Theoretically the work on the bypass shouldn't affect the traffic on route 5 until the point where they actually have to connect the two. :shrug:
You are right, the endless line of dump trucks hauling dirt, sand, gravel, concrete, and asphalt to and from the work zone will just hover over traffic not actually drive in it. :lol:

H

HollowSoul

:burning: :burning: ya know.....it took these smibs close to 5yrs to get 235 done, if there is gonna be a stadium built...not only will we not get to sit down and watch a game till 2015........but by then we will be watching robots play the dayum game!
not to mention that there will be a plethra of "road cones" to bob and weave through on 235 again

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Pete
You are right, the endless line of dump trucks hauling dirt, sand, gravel, concrete, and asphalt to and from the work zone will just hover over traffic not actually drive in it. :lol:

:rolleyes: perhaps i should have added the qualifier "much" after traffic.

Cletus_Vandam

stadium kabosh

Who knows what might really happen in the years to come??? Do any of you remember the minor league stadium that was planned in Waldorf (at White Plains Regional Park)?

The commissioners at the time put the big No on the plans for that stadium. As a result Chuck County lost all the revenues that stadium could have brought in...

I think the Owner/Developers went to Frederick with that Stadium. I've been there and it's a very nice complex.

Christy

b*tch rocket
There's an article in the SOMD insert of the Washington Post regarding the stadium.

According to the last meeting they had with the Commissioner's it's supposed to be built in the very near future. SMECO bought and donated the land.

I just can't see a stadium going up in Hughesville on Rt. 5. It's a traffic nightmare as it is.

KoolStuf

Info was in the Wash. Post So. Md. Section on Sunday
(North side of 231) Seems the decision was made prior to posting public notice.
Also mentioned was a Harley-Davidson Shop and something about was it to be as bad as the planning if Waldorf.