BBQ in Southern Maryland

PeterPiper

Review of Graves Boys BBQ, in Charlotte Hall, in a stand right next to Ritas Custard.

This places looks promising from the outside, but it was a huge disappointment.

We had the BBQ pork sandwich. The bun was that mushy type of bread that just falls apart. It clearly was just a cheap fatty grade of pork. The grease poured right off the sandwich. Also, the meat was chopped, not pulled pork, which seems odd. It wasn't the nice flaky texture that you get with pulled pork. Also, the meat already had the BBQ sauce applied, which is generally a bad sign because you won't be able to really taste the meat on its own. Also, the cole slaw they applied to the sandwich was just some commercial cole slaw bought in bulk. No self-respecting BBQ place buys their cole slaw ready-made.

Also, the people working there were not friendly and weren't able to answer any questions about anything: they had no clue where the meat is smoked or how long it is smoked for. (Or even whether it is smoked at all.)

This place seems to be trying to look like a roadside BBQ shack, but I don't think they really know much about or care about BBQ. I hope to find better BBQ places in the area. I definitely won't be back to Graves Boys.

CraneTaker77

That place just started a couple of months ago so maybe they're still trying to work the kinks out? . Try Griffins next to Freds they might be better. Bear Creek in Calloway is good as well. I personally prefer Randy's in Hughesville. I always get the sliced porked sandwich and onion rings. I love they're onion rings. They're pulled/minced pork is good as well.

dave1959

Review of Graves Boys BBQ, in Charlotte Hall, in a stand right next to Ritas Custard.

We had the BBQ pork sandwich. The bun was that mushy type of bread that just falls apart. It clearly was just a cheap fatty grade of pork. The grease poured right off the sandwich. Also, the meat was chopped, not pulled pork, which seems odd. It wasn't the nice flaky texture that you get with pulled pork. Also, the meat already had the BBQ sauce applied, which is generally a bad sign because you won't be able to really taste the meat on its own. Also, the cole slaw they applied to the sandwich was just some commercial cole slaw bought in bulk. No self-respecting BBQ place buys their cole slaw ready-made.

Also, the people working there were not friendly and weren't able to answer any questions about anything: they had no clue where the meat is smoked or how long it is smoked for. (Or even whether it is smoked at all.)

This place seems to be trying to look like a roadside BBQ shack, but I don't think they really know much about or care about BBQ. I hope to find better BBQ places in the area. I definitely won't be back to Graves Boys.

That is refered to as minced pork.. different than Pulled pork

dave1959

That place just started a couple of months ago so maybe they're still trying to work the kinks out? . Try Griffins next to Freds they might be better. Bear Creek in Calloway is good as well. I personally prefer Randy's in Hughesville. I always get the sliced porked sandwich and onion rings. I love they're onion rings. They're pulled/minced pork is good as well.

Their food is OK, But I find it very bland..

Blister

Griffin's isdefinitely superior. Pulled pork is very good, chicken and ribs are good also. I have not had their beef yet.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Another vote for Randy's. :howdy:

dog_lover

QUOTE=PeterPiper;4615716]Review of Graves Boys BBQ, in Charlotte Hall, in a stand right next to Ritas Custard.

This place seems to be trying to look like a roadside BBQ shack, but I don't think they really know much about or care about BBQ. I hope to find better BBQ places in the area. I definitely won't be back to Graves Boys.[/QUOTE]

Smoky Joe's In Lexington Park is really good!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well, I think I'm healthy enough to enjoy some bbq from time to time.

If not, I may as well just lay down and die now.
I just want to make sure no one dies while there and the shock of it make them start serving tofu and salads. The closest I want to salad from there is some slaw for the pulled pork.

drivingdaisy

You can make your own pulled pork if you have like 20 hours or so. haha. I make some good pork in the oven... i know its not smoked but still pretty delicious.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
You can make your own pulled pork if you have like 5 hours or so. haha. I make some good pork in the oven... i know its not smoked but still pretty delicious.

Cut whole pork loin in half length wise and rub with favorite rub
Place on HOT Weber grill (fat side up) using indirect heat using Kingsford and hickory
Cover and smoke for 1 hour
Place in crockpot (fat side up) with 1/3 cup water on high for 3-4 hours
Pork is done when you can separate with 2 table forks

Finishing sauce optional :yum:

Has anyone seen gallon jugs of Sauer's Original BBQ sauce in St. Mary's? I used to get it at Mattingly's and after they closed, Fooddog.

bigbob

"Hogfagther"
Now I usually smoke my own pork butts - - -

But if you are in a pinch, stop by Chipotles and pick up a pound of their carnitas, about $10.

Add a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce and slaw and you will think you were in Memphis - - -

KDENISE977

Now I usually smoke my own pork butts - - -

But if you are in a pinch, stop by Chipotles and pick up a pound of their carnitas, about $10.

Add a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce and slaw and you will think you were in Memphis - - -

Chipotle sells their meat?? OMG !! My husband should have stock in that place he eats there so much !!

oh and I vote Randys too...sliced roast beef w/ their bbq sauce is to die for !!