Bears v. Vikes...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...why wouldn't they just move the game to Chicago? Obviously, the Bears, the road team for this game, ain't using their place.

Anyone know?

They just seem to be going through an awful lot using the Gophers digs, a stadium that was shut down and winterized.and is undersized to boot :shrug:

Otter

Nothing to see here
...why wouldn't they just move the game to Chicago? Obviously, the Bears, the road team for this game, ain't using their place.

Anyone know?

They just seem to be going through an awful lot using the Gophers digs, a stadium that was shut down and winterized.and is undersized to boot :shrug:

Seems to me they should have moved it Chicago...and played both Bears games in Minnesota next year..Not a perfect solution but much better than dealing with ticketing, opening up a winterized stadium and staffing, ushers,concession stands, etc..

BuddyLee

Football addict
That wouldn't be fair to the Minnesota players or fans. It would be an unfair advantage for sure.

A more logical solution would be using the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis or the stadium in St. Louis. Both have offered to open their stadiums for the Vikings.

thurley42

HY;FR
That wouldn't be fair to the Minnesota players or fans. It would be an unfair advantage for sure.

A more logical solution would be using the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis or the stadium in St. Louis. Both have offered to open their stadiums for the Vikings.

It's not fair to Minnesota's fans as it is.....without being 100% accurate on the numbers, I heard there were 78000 ticket holders with 50000 seats....now it's first come first serve.....that's trouble in an of itself.

Now for a safety concern.....as much as the NFL penalizes and fines players under the guise of safety these days, playing on a non heated frozen field is down right dangerous.....That field will freeze up before the first quarter is over and it will be a major hazard, not only for head strikes onto the turf, but slip hazard.....

It's not like Minnesota has a chance at the post season, play it in Chicago, or move it to a neutral site again....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's not fair to Minnesota's fans as it is.....without being 100% accurate on the numbers, I heard there were 78000 ticket holders with 50000 seats....now it's first come first serve.....that's trouble in an of itself.

Now for a safety concern.....as much as the NFL penalizes and fines players under the guise of safety these days, playing on a non heated frozen field is down right dangerous.....That field will freeze up before the first quarter is over and it will be a major hazard, not only for head strikes onto the turf, but slip hazard.....

It's not like Minnesota has a chance at the post season, play it in Chicago, or move it to a neutral site again....

Don't know about the frozen field business. I mean, The Gophers play there. How bad is it for them?

The ticket thing is not good.

Plus, there is a horror lurking; Beer is not allowed to be sold in the stadium.
What would the NFL be without a bunch of drunken ass holes?

thurley42

HY;FR
Don't know about the frozen field business. I mean, The Gophers play there. How bad is it for them?

The ticket thing is not good.

Plus, there is a horror lurking; Beer is not allowed to be sold in the stadium.
What would the NFL be without a bunch of drunken ass holes?

The Gophers season was over three weeks ago. There was a stink from the Big Ten (12) about the open air stadiuim without the heating in the turf, but they went ahead with it anyway....I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but as concerned as they are about head injuries these days, I don't think a frozen turf makes a lot of sense.

And as far as the alcohol is concerned, it will be just like a typical college game, the public vendors will have huge beer gardens set up just outside the parking lot for people to get their drunk on....and sneak flasks in///

Last edited:

Anyone know?

Because, to the extent the league or teams are making a decision about this, they need to try to be fair to the Bears, the Vikings, and the other teams that might be competing with the Bears with regard to the playoffs. This is supposed to be a home game for the Vikings, with whatever advantages that brings. The league can't control that the Metrodome roof collapse happened, and if that causes things to be a little less fair (i.e. the Vikings to have a little less advantage), then so be it. But, when it then has to make decisions, it shouldn't just say 'screw what's fair, let's do what's convenient.'

I'd be disappointed with the league if it placed convenience over the fairness of the competition (within reason, of course) - especially if I was a Packer fan.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because, to the extent the league or teams are making a decision about this, they need to try to be fair to the Bears, the Vikings, and the other teams that might be competing with the Bears with regard to the playoffs. This is supposed to be a home game for the Vikings, with whatever advantages that brings. The league can't control that the Metrodome roof collapse happened, and if that causes things to be a little less fair (i.e. the Vikings to have a little less advantage), then so be it. But, when it then has to make decisions, it shouldn't just say 'screw what's fair, let's do what's convenient.'

I'd be disappointed with the league if it placed convenience over the fairness of the competition (within reason, of course) - especially if I was a Packer fan.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear. :tap:

There will be no beer.

At a NFL game. Beer.

None.

Is this thing working?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Gophers season was over three weeks ago. There was a stink from the Big Ten (12) about the open air stadiuim without the heating in the turf, but they went ahead with it anyway....I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but as concerned as they are about head injuries these days, I don't think a frozen turf makes a lot of sense.

I'm with you on that. I just have no idea how bad it is and presumed that it couldn't be too bad or how do they play there at all? It is Minnesota. :shrug:

So, what you are saying is that it IS a problem that just hasn't come to a head yet? Np pun intended.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear. :tap:

There will be no beer.

At a NFL game. Beer.

None.

Is this thing working?

Well, since I don't drink beer, I don't think that little tidbit would weigh much on my consideration. :lol:

But, even if I did, I think I'd still be able to quiet my own interests (i.e. if I was going to be going to the game) enough to appreciate that the league and/or teams made a decision that was concerned with keeping the competition as far as possible (again, within reason).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, since I don't drink beer, I don't think that little tidbit would weigh much on my consideration. :lol:

But, even if I did, I think I'd still be able to quiet my own interests (i.e. if I was going to be going to the game) enough to appreciate that the league and/or teams made a decision that was concerned with keeping the competition as far as possible (again, within reason).

Do you know how many people would go to NFL games if there was NO beer?

How is that fair???

Yes - on average, 48,172.

How is that fair???

Well, there's the point - fairness in some regard has to be sacrificed. I'd be willing to accept fairness to the fans in the little picture being sacrificed moreso than fairness to the fans in the big picture being sacrificed, at least in this case.

But then again, life's not fair - so who cares either way? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes - on average, 48,172.

Well, there's the point - fairness in some regard has to be sacrificed. I'd be willing to accept fairness to the fans in the little picture being sacrificed moreso than fairness to the fans in the big picture being sacrificed, at least in this case.

But then again, life's not fair - so who cares either way? :lol:

There is beer in Bear Stadium. Already set up for it. THAT is fair.

PrepH4U

And as far as the alcohol is concerned, it will be just like a typical college game, the public vendors will have huge beer gardens set up just outside the parking lot for people to get their drunk on....and sneak flasks in///

Football needs to toughen up, they used to play without domes in the central division. Heated turf OMG! Growing up in MN, playing in the cold was a given and I fondly remember iceballs between the fans being a part of the game.
What's next making sure the hockey players have "soft" ice for when they fall? :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Football needs to toughen up, they used to play without domes in the central division. Heated turf OMG! Growing up in MN, playing in the cold was a given and I fondly remember iceballs between the fans being a part of the game.
What's next making sure the hockey players have "soft" ice for when they fall? :shrug:

Football has changed. You just can't have 350 pound tubs of lard falling on a hard field. Their frames simply can't physically take that kind of pounding without breaking whereas 'normal' 220, 230 pound linemen whose bodies were supporting loads they could bare would bruise and hurt but, not snap, crackle and pop like these leviathans.

Hell, as far as that goes, I've heard Gordy Howe complain that today's players are wusses with their masks and pads!!! Which I think is unconscionable.

refugee44

For the love the troops!

It's Soldier Field, not Bear Stadium!!! The field serves as a memorial to American soldiers who had died in wars, hence its name. It was designed in 1919 and completed in the 1920s. It officially opened on October 9, 1924, the 53rd anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire. Its formal dedication as Soldier Field was on Saturday, November 27, 1926, during the 29th annual playing of the Army vs Navy game

With the current stadium capacity of 61,500, Soldier Field became the smallest stadium in the NFL.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
For the love the troops!

It's Soldier Field, not Bear Stadium!!! The field serves as a memorial to American soldiers who had died in wars, hence its name. It was designed in 1919 and completed in the 1920s. It officially opened on October 9, 1924, the 53rd anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire. Its formal dedication as Soldier Field was on Saturday, November 27, 1926, during the 29th annual playing of the Army vs Navy game

With the current stadium capacity of 61,500, Soldier Field became the smallest stadium in the NFL.

I know. I am just being an ass about this beer business. :buddies:

Baz

This. ------------------>

How is that fair???

The same amount.

Look at college football. The vast majority (if not all) of college stadiums that are located on campus don't sell beer at the games, yet many college stadiums hold far more people than most NFL stadiums. Just be sure you've got some tailgating skills, and you'll be just fine. :smile:

But make no mistake, I would prefer the option of buying a $9 draft beer at any sporting event. :cheers:

As for the original subject, if not in Minnesota, a neutral stadium would be the proper way to go.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR

I don't disagree...if you read any of my posts about the ridiculous amounts of penalities and fines you would know I agree that football does need to toughen up a bit. My problem lies with the double standard of the league....they now use a "when in doubt, throw a flag" mentality behind the idea of protecting the players....yet when it means more money for the league, they extend the season and put players in "unsafe" conditions.....

In a league where they throw a flag if a defender LOOKS at Tom Brady wrong, you think they would be more concerned about the effects of helmets hitting what equates to a concrete playing surface when frozen...

Another thought......the players want 2 way dialouge about the hard hits.....but no..the league feels they aren't taking their own safety in mind...when they voice safety concerns about the playing surface.......??????

I suppose the ability to inebriate themselves is a point of greater concern to some people than it is to others. :lol:

Some of us have managed to find, and learned to control, that natural switch inside us that, when turned on, allows us to emulate most of the effects of inebriation, without having to endure the nasty tastes and (undesirable) lingering side-effects associated with inducing them the old-fashioned way. In other words, some of us can get stupid without the aid of alcohol - situations calling for it, we can just snap our fingers and, BOOM, get stupid.