Because it's there...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Jesus H;

Perched on the brink of a 186ft drop, this was the moment when Tyler Bradt probably felt the urge to start frantically paddling backwards.
Less than four seconds later, he was celebrating a world record for kayak descents.

Read more: Pictured: The record-breaking kayaker who risked life and limb in a 186ft waterfall drop | Mail Online

Pictured: The record-breaking kayaker who risked life and limb in a 186ft waterfall drop | Mail Online

'Considering the waterfall, the injuries were pretty minor,' he said.
Bradt said he wanted to attempt the plunge not to set a record but to show what humans are capable of achieving.

Read more: Pictured: The record-breaking kayaker who risked life and limb in a 186ft waterfall drop | Mail Online

I was always under the impession that anything above a 100' drop into the water would be pretty much like hitting concrete. Is this doable because the water is frothed up or the weight of the falls has the suface broken up?

I was always under the impession that anything above a 100' drop into the water would be pretty much like hitting concrete. Is this doable because the water is frothed up or the weight of the falls has the suface broken up?

I've jumped off 40' bridges and that felt pretty hard too. Knocks you senseless for a few seconds. My dad used to tell me that when they were on board ship (aircraft carrier) they jumped off the deck into the water as part of the training. He said 90'. I've always taken that with a grain of salt... :lol:

Good theory on the broken surface.... dunno...

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Obviously, water at 100' or concrete at 100', I'll take the water but, I do think you're onto something there with the surface tension being broken and boiled up. Lotta air in that fall at the bottom.