Being yor own general contractor

B

baswm

Has anyone here acting as their own General Contractor while building their house? I am wondering where do you look locally to find good sub contractors. I have a house plan that I like already. Just trying to see if I can afford to build it.

One bit of advice, find out who David Horstick uses(d) when he builds houses, and AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

Hessian

Two years ago we started looking for a general contractor to do a small addition (Master bedrm & Bath) I realized shortly that most were not interested in a 30 K remodeling job so I decided to subcontract to do stages. (best bid was 42 K for the whole thing)
1) Interior bathroom remodeled
2) Electical Bump up
3) Oil tank replacement
4) Footer & Block laid..

I was thinking that if I did independent contracting I'd be saving some $$--I doubt I actually saved much.
I am now working with a very flexible builder who has no problem with me contacting my own electrician or buying used windows etc.
His bid was nothing to jump up and down about but I like his flexibility & personality--Southern Style Builders in Lusby. (Cove point)

The shell will be going up in 3 weeks...hopefully I'll have good news to report.

spinner

We used Harvey Morgan in Hollywood for our addition. The price was reasonable, they did a terrific job, it would have been done on time if I didn't have a personal problem which he worked around, and I couldn't have asked for anyone nicer.