Best Barn Features

CountryLady

luvmyponies
What do you think are the best barn amenities?

Wash stall?
Ceiling fans?
Dutch Doors?
Sliding Doors?

Water hydrant inside barn (pipe wraped with heat tape and outlet close buy).
Hay loft even if you store a majority of you hay in another building/storage place. It is nice to have a few bales over head. With dropdown holes in stalls or other convienent place.
Windows and/or Dutch doors to outside, good for airflow
Good lighting inside and outside of barn

All above items you mentioned are cool, but I perfer wash stall not in barn with horses and or hay loft. Wash stall should also have plenty of windows for air flow.

devinej

dutch doors on the outside, sliding doors on the inside. as much air flow as possible.

a toilet is always nice.............

hot/cold water in your wash stall. large drain.

ceiling fans could be cool.

always loved the barns with water pipes going to each water bucket in each stall.

So are you building a barn???

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I actually wont ever do dutch doors again unless I have a mesh door to go with it that a horse can't try to jump over. I put one down this spring that decided she wanted out of the stall, jumped the door...got stuck, busted the door, and the hardware from the door sliced her belly open. At my place I have grill doors, and a dressage barn in Ltown has stalls I really like...they are almost all mesh so the airflow is great. I won't do a hay loft for fire reasons...I just have a place to store 6 to 9 bales for the current days feeding. A hot and cold wash stall with a bathroom next door would be awesome!

fredsaid2

Oh...and Nelson waterers are the BOMB!

OK, if we're going to be serious...Love Nelson waterers w/ heaters!

I've never had an issue w/ Dutch doors but I can see the potential for problems if they're set on getting out. I like as much openness within the stall as possible, no full height solid walls. Love the full mesh partions and doors and if I had all the money in the world I'd have these... The Rubicon Horse Stall. I'd add vents along the bottom edge for more air flow.

Another thing I'd like is a stall floor that slopes to a drain to direct pee and water out of the barn.

A stable boy still wouldn't be bad....:smile:

appaholic

Those stalls are beautiful!
As wonderful and needed as the air flow is I hate all the kicking, fussing, ... that seems to occur with half walls with grills so I am back to wanting full side walls with half wall fronts with mesh doors. Could not live w/o hot/cold water wash rack ever again! Now I want a heat light in the wash bay.
And Fred, I want that cute, fit stall boy as well!:buddies: And no little blue pill takers or nappers either, I guess I am becoming a cougar as well! :whistle:

fredsaid2

And Fred, I want that cute, fit stall boy as well!:buddies: And no little blue pill takers or nappers either, I guess I am becoming a cougar as well! :whistle:

Darn! Didn't know you had to be a cougar to get the stable boy. I'll have to get a stand-in for the interviews. :killingme

If the OP is building a barn I'd recommend visiting some local ones. See what ideas they have that work for them and what she could incorporate into hers.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
love the rubicon stalls

i love the rubicon stall fronts!!

what are the best ways to incorporate stall fans into the design?? has anyone seen an innovative idea for this?

my horse loves his posted on the other side of the re-bar.. he sticks his face right in it so his forelock blows back..

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
so sad..

I actually wont ever do dutch doors again unless I have a mesh door to go with it that a horse can't try to jump over. I put one down this spring that decided she wanted out of the stall, jumped the door...got stuck, busted the door, and the hardware from the door sliced her belly open. At my place I have grill doors, and a dressage barn in Ltown has stalls I really like...they are almost all mesh so the airflow is great. I won't do a hay loft for fire reasons...I just have a place to store 6 to 9 bales for the current days feeding. A hot and cold wash stall with a bathroom next door would be awesome!

that must have been awful.. i lost my pony last year.. nearly wrecked me..

i love Michele's barn..especially the overhang feature to keep the horses protected from the weather in the stalls..

a bathroom would be awesome.. probably phase 2.. bathroom and wash stall will probably be separate from the barn

showqueen74

Those stalls are beautiful!
As wonderful and needed as the air flow is I hate all the kicking, fussing, ... that seems to occur with half walls with grills so I am back to wanting full side walls with half wall fronts with mesh doors. Could not live w/o hot/cold water wash rack ever again! Now I want a heat light in the wash bay.

I feel the same about the full walls, and wash rack, and like the bathroom idea, Things I have not seen mentioned are a washer and dryer. An attached indoor with sky lights and watering system, an over hang, either for storage, or trailer parking. a tack room large enough to double as an office. what else.....

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
OK, if we're going to be serious...Love Nelson waterers w/ heaters!

I've never had an issue w/ Dutch doors but I can see the potential for problems if they're set on getting out. I like as much openness within the stall as possible, no full height solid walls. Love the full mesh partions and doors and if I had all the money in the world I'd have these... The Rubicon Horse Stall. I'd add vents along the bottom edge for more air flow.

Another thing I'd like is a stall floor that slopes to a drain to direct pee and water out of the barn.

A stable boy still wouldn't be bad....:smile:

Those Rubicon stalls are "Beauteemus"
I think they used cherry for the wood fill in. WOW! I still like oak tho.

If you are building a barn, it is better to design the drainsystem prior to anything else.

One of my horse magazines had a very good article on drain systems for barns. I will have to see which magazine it was. It brought up design ideas I had never thought of before.

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/ub036.pdf

http://panutrientmgmt.cas.psu.edu/pdf/G97.pdf

Do some research on french drains and foundation drain systems.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
unfortunately..

i don't get to build the barn from scratch.. i'm crossing my fingers everything goes through then i get remodel an existing barn on a budget..

i want ceiling fans and nice lights.. one of those gable things that moves the hot air out.. i really like those magnet things that hold the doors back...so i can let the horses come in and out of their stalls..

i also want a playground with a couple tire swings and a zip line.. maybe a liability but we gotta have some fun!!

i definitely want a bathroom and wash stall but i think that will be phase 2 because the septic and everything...