Best class taken in high school

black dog

Free America
like the ASVAB [or whatever the military calls it now]

if someone has a aptitude for college classes maybe a Gov Backed Scholarship with a aggressive repayment schedule
if someone wants to buck the Aptitude Scores and go to college, they pay their own way [bank / parents / work]

Seems so simple.. Take a test and see where you fit the best...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Joining the military.
It put me at were I am today.

I guess a whole lot of kids today wouldn't qualify for 1 reason or the other. I know a bunch of people that got excellent training while getting paid to learn. Others turn their nose up at military service like it's below them.

black dog

Free America
I guess a whole lot of kids today wouldn't qualify for 1 reason or the other. I know a bunch of people that got excellent training while getting paid to learn. Others turn their nose up at military service like it's below them.

A huge amount of kids can't pass the ASVAB and or drug tests to enlist...
Out of the 240+ young men my son went through SOI with, a total of 7 scored 90 or better on there ASVAB exam.. We have Navy and Marine recruiters that come to the Eagles I belong to and both have told me 30 to 60% of those that try to enlist can't.
Because of poor scores under the minimum of 33 or 34 on their test or can't pass a drug or background check.. It's really sad...

MiddleGround

A huge amount of kids can't pass the ASVAB and or drug tests to enlist...
Out of the 240+ young men my son went through SOI with, a total of 7 scored 90 or better on there ASVAB exam.. We have Navy and Marine recruiters that come to the Eagles I belong to and both have told me 30 to 60% of those that try to enlist can't.
Because of poor scores under the minimum of 33 or 34 on their test or can't pass a drug or background check.. It's really sad...

In all fairness, and to add to the conversation, you do have to look where they are recruiting. They are not recruiting in the affluent neighborhoods where the children are better educated and have many life paths. Recruiting is a struggle. I did it for quite a long time and it turns into making the best of it that you can with what you have to choose from. For every "better educated" kid that came in, I had 50 kids that are probably still scraping paint off of the hull.

black dog

Free America
In all fairness, and to add to the conversation, you do have to look where they are recruiting. They are not recruiting in the affluent neighborhoods where the children are better educated and have many life paths. Recruiting is a struggle. I did it for quite a long time and it turns into making the best of it that you can with what you have to choose from. For every "better educated" kid that came in, I had 50 kids that are probably still scraping paint off of the hull.

That's a good point, and with that when they do recruit those upper class kids as I would bet they push College ROTC and come in as a first or second Lt..

limblips

I too did the 36 one month tour duty. It was tough in the 80's. I always had a rule that I would never put someone in that I didn't want to serve with. I surprised me who I would serve with on the 29th of the month!

MiddleGround

That's a good point, and with that when they do recruit those upper class kids as I would bet they push College ROTC and come in as a first or second Lt..

Actually no. When we did get a volunteer (and most were volunteers. NOT recruited. They walked in) that scored highly and looked to be an "optimal recruit" it was unfortunately our job to try to get them to fill a needed space. That often meant 'guiding' them towards a billet that WE needed to fill. After all, just because you scored high on the testing does not mean you HAD to take a billet that required those scores. I began to develop an eye for who were the best of the best.