Best news of the offseason...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Bryant Gumbel is leaving his position as the play-by-play voice of live games on NFL Network, it was announced today.

Both parties said it was Gumbel's decision to step aside. Gumbel released the following statement through NFL Network:

"I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to call NFL Network games the past two years, which was a new experience for me," said Gumbel. "But we've agreed that we'd all be better served going in different directions. There are a lot of talented people at NFL Network. I thank them, I wish them well, and I have no doubt that they will be very successful going forward."

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...es-nfl-network/

:yahoo:

Kerad

I think he might be the worst announcer I've ever had to deal with.

I'm guessing football wasn't his forte.

He was certainly the worst play-by-play guy...ever.

It would be one thing if it was just his "not intended to be a play-by-play guy...for ANY team, let alone National" voice.

But he was clueless.

good riddance to him. Maybe he can call a Cub Scout pinewood derby race. not that I hate the Cub Scouts...but just saying...

Rael

Supper's Ready
That IS good news. Man, it was painful listening to him most of the time. I wonder who they'll find to replace him, somebody that can counter balance Collinsworth's dry color commentary.

AndyMarquisLIVE

He was certainly the worst play-by-play guy...ever.

It would be one thing if it was just his "not intended to be a play-by-play guy...for ANY team, let alone National" voice.

But he was clueless.

good riddance to him. Maybe he can call a Cub Scout pinewood derby race. not that I hate the Cub Scouts...but just saying...
Nah, that just means ESPN will pick him up and have him do NASCAR or NHRA coverage. :ohwell:

Unfortanently, ESPN has a way of finding the worst possible commentators.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Nope. Rusty at least knows something, and brings experience. Gumbel is boring, bigoted, knowledgeless, and worthless.
Yeah, you're actually right about that.

I just thought Rusty was too repetitive on the 4-tires thing. And when his son was 4 laps down, he always said he was having a great run. Rusty, 34th place is not a good run. :banghead:

Gumbel couldn't even do basic math - how he got to NFLtv, I'll never know.

Pete

Repete
Yeah, you're actually right about that.

I just thought Rusty was too repetitive on the 4-tires thing. And when his son was 4 laps down, he always said he was having a great run. Rusty, 34th place is not a good run. :banghead:

Gumbel couldn't even do basic math - how he got to NFLtv, I'll never know.

Back a few years when he was on the Today show with Katie Couric he was the rage about town. They probably begged him to come to NFL network. Once he was there I bet they wanted to sitck an ink pen in their ears and hit it with a shoe.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Back a few years when he was on the Today show with Katie Couric he was the rage about town. They probably begged him to come to NFL network. Once he was there I bet they wanted to sitck an ink pen in their ears and hit it with a shoe.
I remember when he was on either CBS or NBC and he referred to someone as a "stupid ####ing #####" or something like that. It didn't happen once either.

In hindsight, he has a name. His brother was at CBS Spports. Did the Super Bowl once and, I think, anchored the Daytona 500 a few times before FOX took over (that was a truly sad day). Greg Gumbel was actually really good, all things considered.