Best place to buy Leyland Cypress?

B

baswm

Does anyone know the best place to buy leyland Cypress trees at? I am planning on buying 40 of them and looking for a reasonable price. I can get some online for about 1.50 each for a plant that is roughly 18". If I can find something similar here in the county area, I can save on the shipping. :)

Taz

Don't do it!

Just a warning not to buy trees online. We have bought from several online companies and have yet to have one tree live.

Though they say 18" trees, you most likely will receive something that may be 18", but looks like the switch mama used on your backside when you were a kid.

Best place we found was when someone on here recommended the nursery auction at the Chesapeake Marketplace in St. Leonard. We bought several different types of trees (20 Leyland Cypress, some weeping willows, corkscrew willows, etc.) for a total of 39 trees and spent less than $200. The cypress trees were healthy 3 ft trees and all lived. They do guarantee all the trees they sell there too.

Not sure when the next auction is, but you can check with their website, www.chesapeakemarketplace.com/auction_calendar.htm

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Originally posted by baswm
Does anyone know the best place to buy leyland Cypress trees at? I am planning on buying 40 of them and looking for a reasonable price. I can get some online for about 1.50 each for a plant that is roughly 18". If I can find something similar here in the county area, I can save on the shipping. :)
Ed's Plant World up on the other side of Waldorf has them and there is a place advertised in the Pennysaver (check the Pennysaver online if you don't receive it) that is in Hughesville that advertises them all the time.

Re: Don't do it!

Originally posted by Taz
Best place we found was when someone on here recommended the nursery auction at the Chesapeake Marketplace in St. Leonard. We bought several different types of trees (20 Leyland Cypress, some weeping willows, corkscrew willows, etc.) for a total of 39 trees and spent less than $200. The cypress trees were healthy 3 ft trees and all lived. They do guarantee all the trees they sell there too.

Not sure when the next auction is, but you can check with their website, www.chesapeakemarketplace.com/auction_calendar.htm
That would be me!!!!:biggrin: The next plant auction will be in the spring. They normally have 3 in the spring, with the last one being around Mother's Day. We bought 10 azaleas (1 gallon size), 14 Rhododendrons (6 gallon + size) a Jap Red Maple (3 gallon size) and 2 dogwoods (10 gallon + size) for about $200.00. Both of the dogwoods came down with the blight and died, but the grower replaced them with flowering cherries (my choice) without any problems when they had their fall auction. Everything else is growing great.

Last edited:
B

baswm

I will check the local plant stores in the area and see what they come up with as far as price. I have seen the one in the penny saver where the guy will plant it for you for about 15 bucks each. I am looking to get about 40 trees and will plant them myself. I am having my lot excavated and will use the trees to form a living boundry between the schools athletic field and my lot.