Best price for vechicle inspection

officeguy

I went to Mr. Tire to get my first oil change with the 2016; bought the oil/filter elsewhere. When it was time to leave, the guy goes down the bill; explains the charges and included the brake pad measurement. Don't ever remember them offering that info before. Guess it's a new policy/procedure? Doesn't matter; it's still good info to have.

I don't want the shop to look at anything beyond what I told them to do. I had a shop tear a perfectly good air filter that I had just installed a couple of months earlier. Another shop tried to be helpful by 'cleaning' the battery terminals and managed to fling the acidic residue into the fuse box. If I tell you 'check brakes', I want you to do the brakes. If I want an oil-change change the oil. Don't effing touch anything else.

glhs837

Power with Control
Imagine, there are states that have none of this yet people aren't dying by dozen due to poorly maintained cars.

Oh, they do. But it's probably not written up that way. Instead of "failed ball joint caused person to crash", it's failure to control speed, or pay attention.

I suppose I've just been lucky. I can remember leaving the inspection station after failing for something minor, going and fixing the problem, and returning for the ticket without another fee.

I've also told one to go ahead a replace a third brake light bulb, to give the tech a "tip". One bulb, two screws, and he got .25 hours out of it.:yay:

Every vehicle I've ever inspected had a 30 day free reinspect. which I have used to fix things like the sons first car needing new sway bar mounts welded in.

Only once have I been subject to flagrant abuse of inspection. Guys hit me on "door handle hard to open from outside". When asked, I was told that it was a safety issue since if an cop needed to open my door, it had to take the same amount of force as new. Also hit me because my manual shift knob didn't have the freakin gear pattern on it. Which is an inspection item clearly intended for automatics as It says "Gear indicator functional".

Grumpy

If I tell you 'check brakes', I want you to do the brakes. If I want an oil-change change the oil. Don't effing touch anything else.

Agree with that ^, wife went to Jiffy Lube once and even tho she asked for oil change only, came home with battery cables loose, air filter case unlatched and all valve stem caps gone.