Best Restaurants in SOMD

Chris0nllyn

No mention of Vera's in this thread. I have not been - shall I add to my list of 'must go' restaurants in somd??

'Must go'....? No, unless it's crab special night or something.

The food isn't that great, but if the weather is nice, it's not bad scenery.

BigBlue

Been in the area since 2008, retired from the Corps in 2012. One thing I have not found since is true family restaurant. I live in Waldorf and there are more chains than you can shake a stick at and the few local family restaurants I have found in La Plata are tiny. What I have been looking for is a moderately sized restaurant with top notch food and family events. Where it is likely if I were a regular I would meet and regularly see the owner in the restaurant and where he knows his customers. I want to find someplace that has a regular menu and special weekend buffets that change up their standard fair but highlight the talent of the chef, where coming in no matter the time of day is a welcoming experience. Of course if the food were German food then it would be a slice of heaven but I figure that is probably a huge stretch.

It may sound like I am either looking for the impossible, or am dreaming, but I have known a place like this in my travels. It was tucked away just outside of one of the bases where my dad was stationed when I was kid and after 60 years they recently closed their doors. It was the place where we would go as a family every weekend. I could go in as a kid by myself and be treated the same as an adult and enjoy the same hospitality and respect that my parents did. The owner/chef knew everyone that came in and generations loved him and his family and the restaurant they built.

Am I looking for the impossible or is there a slice of heaven like this nearby?

Where I grew up almost every place our parents would take us was like that ,while I'll say it's not impossible they are few and far in between .Edgewater Restaurant is one , Capt John's in Cobb Island ,St Marys Landing Charlotte Hall use to be but it has been awhile since I was there .

Hannibal

^This^ Vera's has gone downhill in the last couple years as far as food goes, but it's still a terrific location.

Yep. I LOVE Vera's ............ but it's not for their food. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad food but it's certainly not the quality of food you would want representing "best places". In the summer, it's a very nice place to dock your boat and head up for a bite on the patio. Or it's a nice place to hang out on the beach while having a drink and getting something off their lunch menu.

It's a nice place for the environment and the scenery. The food doesn't detract from it but certainly isn't the selling point on the visit.

Hannibal

Try Capt. John's in Cobb Island .All the food is good, crabs are really good and a decent price ,the fried chicken is fantastic !.:popcorn:

I started frequenting this place many years ago after growing tired of the crowd at Cap't Billys on Pope's Creek. Even for the added drive (nice one), I found the food good. We'd go there for the crabs ..... period. And we'd order them a dozen at a time (#1's) as big as they had available.

However, about 2-3 years ago, no matter what day we went, we'd find that they never had true #1's. They'd always have #2's or whatever they were serving in their "Feast" but I'd go 4-5 visits in a row without #1's. It got to the point that we'd call ahead before making the drive. I am sorry but I became a bit of a crab snob and didn't want to pick my way through a ton of smaller crabs to get my fill.

We stopped going all together last summer and did more full bushels or 1/2 bushels with friends as an alternative.

This year, we revisited Sea Breeze at the recommendation of a friend. We hand't eaten dinner there in several years after a couple of back to back poor visits. However, since returning this year, we've been VERY happy with everything. We head there every two weeks at least and do their couples feast or simply throw down on a dozen with some shrimp.

As long as they keep it up - I won't stop visiting.

Tech

Golden Corral is not a restaurant....it is a Food Trough.

Speaking of food troughs, what's going in at the old Blockbusters in California. Looks like there is a pick up window on the side. Sorry if it's been stated before.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Speaking of food troughs, what's going in at the old Blockbusters in California. Looks like there is a pick up window on the side. Sorry if it's been stated before.

Popeye's. Soo happy I kin git some ginuwine Luziannia cookin here in Merlin naw.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nobody's been to Salsa's in L'town? It's not fancy, but the food is VERY good. IMO Reminds be being in SoCal.

Been quite a few times....No.2 son loves the place. Me..I've never been "disappointed" in anything they've served me, but my expectations are not that high for places like that either.

acommondisaster

Try Capt. John's in Cobb Island .All the food is good, crabs are really good and a decent price ,the fried chicken is fantastic !.:popcorn:

Most of the people I know around the area think that Shymanski's (across the street) is better for crabs and chicken. Cleaner, too.

RidgeChick

I thought the thread was about restaurants here in Southern Md? I don't get that Annapolis, Huntingtown, etc are listed.........?

The CIP thread got me thinking, what're your favorite restaurants here in SOMD? I'm only familiar with the Pax part of SOMD.

Do you have particular favorite dishes at certain places?

Hands down, my favorite restaurant to eat at is Tearrific. I love the bubble tea.

A close second would be Thai Inter - I also love love love that they deliver.

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

EDIT: Here are the results up to post #147. Positive mentions only, negative ones weren't factored in.

6 mentions:
- Jerry's, Prince Frederick
- Ruddy Duck, Dowell

5 mentions:
- CD Cafe, Solomons
- Marie's Diner, LaPlata

4 mentions:
-Chick and Ruth's Deli, Annapolis
-Lefty's, Waldorf
-River's Edge, Benedict
-Ruddy Duck Alehouse, Piney Point
-Silver Skewers, Waldorf