Best shoes for a beginner runner

mgdbaa

I just started running on pavement. I see its different then a treadmill. I am a beginner at this. I run a little then walk, then run. I go to Solomons Isl alot. Each time I will try to run a little further. I am enjoying it and I keep thinking of The Biggest Loser and how all of the people on there can do it. That is my motivation.

My question is, Whats a good inexpensive running shoe for a beginner like me?

I just started running on pavement. I see its different then a treadmill. I am a beginner at this. I run a little then walk, then run. I go to Solomons Isl alot. Each time I will try to run a little further. I am enjoying it and I keep thinking of The Biggest Loser and how all of the people on there can do it. That is my motivation.

My question is, Whats a good inexpensive running shoe for a beginner like me?
Running shoes are NOT somewhere to skimp.

First you need to figure out what type of runner you are. Flat foot? High arch? Pronate? Supenate? OVER pronate?

Then you need to go to dirt stores and try on different brands in the right size and style to find out who fits you right.

I prefer the Asics brand.

I wore the wrong shoes for 4 months of running my freshman year of college (college bought them for me since I was on the Cross Country team). Completely destroyed my knees. Gave me great front/back support but no lateral support. Blew out both knees.

I used the Asics Running Shoe Fit Guide to find out what shoes I needed.

I was hoping to buy shoes for $50-60. Nope. $89.99 w/ free shipping from TheSportsAuthority.com for the highest rated, yet lowest cost, Maximum Support shoe out there.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I went to Feet First Sports, they analyzed my feet & running gate. Then hooked me up with some Brooks running shoes. I am so flat footed you can't even put a credit card under my arches. All I can say is wow, after running in them I used muscles I never thought I had and no more shin splints. Great shoes IMHO.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR

First you need to figure out what type of runner you are. Flat foot? High arch? Pronate? Supenate? OVER pronate?

Then you need to go to dirt stores and try on different brands in the right size and style to find out who fits you right.

I wore the wrong shoes for 4 months of running my freshman year of college (college bought them for me since I was on the Cross Country team). Completely destroyed my knees. Gave me great front/back support but no lateral support. Blew out both knees.

I was hoping to buy shoes for $50-60. Nope. $89.99 w/ free shipping from TheSportsAuthority.com for the highest rated, yet lowest cost, Maximum Support shoe out there.

QFT.....the wrong running shoes can seriously screw you up! You don't have to have the best thing out there, but like huntr said, find out what kind of runner you are, and grab a pair designed for your frame/style/foot...it will make a big difference!

I'm a big Asics fan as well...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
inexpensive and running shoe do not go in the same sentence..:killingme
Though if you get fitted somewhere..or determine what type you need there are some good deals on ebay..

I would kill for a pair of vibrams..so I am just waiting till I can find a deal on ebay.

mgdbaa

How do I figure out what kind of runner I am . Right now I am just jogging until I can push for more. I don't know if I am doing it right, but I jog to a further distance then the time before. Right now Im not looking to be a fast runner, just to go a longer distance.

mgdbaa

How do I figure out what kind of runner I am . Right now I am just jogging until I can push for more. I don't know if I am doing it right, but I jog to a further distance then the time before. Right now Im not looking to be a fast runner, just to go a longer distance.
After reading some of the other posts, I understand a little now. I noticed my foot flat on the outside and a slight arch on the inside. Does that make any sense to anyone?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
After reading some of the other posts, I understand a little now. I noticed my foot flat on the outside and a slight arch on the inside. Does that make any sense to anyone?

yes, thats how a foot works:killingme..but if you check the site huntr linked..they have a way to figure it out..scroll down and do the water test..then match it up with the picture..and it will tell you whatt ype to look for..

mgdbaa

Very good information everyone. Thanks for your advice. My boyfriend says I have big Shrek feet. I hope theres a shoe for that.

Thanks again

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I swear by Nike Bowerman's. They come in a variety of colors and styles. You'll spend about $100 a pair give or take unless you can find some at a serious discount. If you're ever near a DSW (there's one in Waldorf), try looking there. I found a pair a few months back and paid $27 total (not the norm). :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

GO TO A RUNNERS store and get them to tell you and show you what you got.

I had plantar fasciitis pretty good 6-7 years ago when I started doing barely 10 miles a week. I thought Sports Authorities New Balances should be just fine. It's a RUNNING shoe, right?

Local running store put me on a treadmill and, 5 minutes later, I was walking on a cloud. The fasciitis was gone in a week or so and hurt WAY less, right away.

Recommending a particular shoe is WORTHLESS because one brand does not automatically address YOUR particular step. Go get checked! You will be glad you did!

Expect to spend $100 or more and keep in mind that after about 500 miles, be it running or walking, they are done and you will need new ones. You can still walk or mow tho grass with the old ones but, you will have lost much of the cushioning after about 500 miles. 10 miles a week is a year so, it won't be long before you look down and see $1,000 worth of stinking, worn out running shoes.

And, if you're gonna run, they are worth every penny! even people who think 'regular' shoes are fine, who have no issues now, they will pay for it 20 years later. You can earn more money. You can't regrow knees and feet.

:buddies:

dustin

UAIOE
You know all this fancy footwear nowadays and to think that the Native Americans used to run through the woods all the time barefoot or with leather wrapped around their feet.

That's freaking hardcore right there!!!

Ever try a beach run barefoot? Yeah you wont be able to walk the next day. :lol:

You know all this fancy footwear nowadays and to think that the Native Americans used to run through the woods all the time barefoot or with leather wrapped around their feet.

That's freaking hardcore right there!!!

Ever try a beach run barefoot? Yeah you wont be able to walk the next day. :lol:
Barefoot running is the latest craze.

GO TO A RUNNERS store and get them to tell you and show you what you got.

I had plantar fasciitis pretty good 6-7 years ago when I started doing barely 10 miles a week. I thought Sports Authorities New Balances should be just fine. It's a RUNNING shoe, right?

Local running store put me on a treadmill and, 5 minutes later, I was walking on a cloud. The fasciitis was gone in a week or so and hurt WAY less, right away.

Recommending a particular shoe is WORTHLESS because one brand does not automatically address YOUR particular step. Go get checked! You will be glad you did!

Expect to spend $100 or more and keep in mind that after about 500 miles, be it running or walking, they are done and you will need new ones. You can still walk or mow tho grass with the old ones but, you will have lost much of the cushioning after about 500 miles. 10 miles a week is a year so, it won't be long before you look down and see $1,000 worth of stinking, worn out running shoes.

And, if you're gonna run, they are worth every penny! even people who think 'regular' shoes are fine, who have no issues now, they will pay for it 20 years later. You can earn more money. You can't regrow knees and feet.

:buddies:
:yeahthat:

That is what I was trying to say. You have a way with words Larry.

In HS I got new running shoes every 6 months. In college, I got new ones every season (3 pair a year). Old ones would still LOOK servicable, but they were worn out after running 10-20 miles a day, 5-6 days a week.