Best & worst TV fathers

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In my 6 decades of TV watching, many shows have featured families interacting on a daily basis. What father or father figure were your favorite and least favorite? You can include the animated dads also.

I find it interesting how the TV dad has evolved from a man of wisdom (Ward Cleaver, Cliff Huxtable) to a bumbling boob like Al Bundy or Homer Simpson.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The worst ones are not part of the family.

No opinion on the best since they are just hollow characters created by writers. There's no depth to them.

As far as Al Bundy and Homer Simpson go, I don't think they're all that bad. They may be bumbling fools, but they go to work every day and do as well as they can for their family. They didn't bail out or collect welfare.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In my 6 decades of TV watching, many shows have featured families interacting on a daily basis. What father or father figure were your favorite and least favorite? You can include the animated dads also.

I find it interesting how the TV dad has evolved from a man of wisdom (Ward Cleaver, Cliff Huxtable) to a bumbling boob like Al Bundy or Homer Simpson.
Dr. John Robinson, astrophysicist extraordinaire and Will, Judy and Penny's father.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love Cliff Huxtable. He and Claire are the blueprint for what I consider the perfect marriage and parenting partnership.

Howard Cunningham was a terrific dad, and I have an enormous soft spot for Dan Conner (Roseanne). All the dads on Modern Family are wonderful, and Lily's two dads in particular are a great team.

Worst dad EVER? Easy:

Frank from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. :lol:

C

czygvtwkr

Not sure the Cliff Huxtable to Al Bundy could be considered an evolution since they were on TV at the same time.

Bad: Clay Morrow, Tommy Gavin
Good: Rick Grimes, Stephen Keaton, Randy Marsh