Biden To Reverse Trump Policies During Flurry Of Executive Orders In First Days In Office

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
President Donald Trump spent much of his four years in office undoing his predecessor’s policies, and president-elect Joe Biden is reportedly set to do the same.

Biden is prepared to sign more than 10 executive orders in his first day in office, orders that will permit rejoining the Paris climate accord and cancel the travel ban on some majority-Muslim countries that Trump put into place, according to a memo from incoming chief of staff Ron Klain obtained by The New York Times.

In addition, Biden will sign executive orders to freeze evictions and defer student loan payments amid the COVID-19 pandemic. He’ll also issue a mask mandate on all federal property in an effort to stem the spread of the virus.

And that’s just Day 1.

Hijinx

Let him have enough rope to hang himself with.

What is he going to do with all of the thousands of Hondurans massing on the border?

WingsOfGold

Freeze eviction.... yes any owner will love this. :rolleyes: How about squatters of foreclosed properties?
Those that voted for the pos I hope you lose your ass.

Rommey

Re: Paris Accord...Trump should submit this to the Senate as a treaty. It takes ⅔ of the Senate to approve treaties, so Biden wouldn't be able to do anything about rejoining the accord because it is in the Senate's jurisdiction at that point.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But the truth is, the United States was never actually legally a part of the Paris climate accords. The United Nations describes it as “a legally binding international treaty on climate change,” and it also meets the definition of a treaty under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, which states that a treaty is “an international agreement concluded between [two or more] States in written form and governed by international law.”

And what does the United States Constitution say about treaties?

It says that the president “shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two-thirds of the Senators present concur.” It’s right there in Article II, Section 2, Clause 2.

Yes, Obama unilaterally signed the United States into the treaty in the final months of his presidency, which was a very telling move. Nearly 200 countries signed the treaty on December 12, 2015, but Obama didn’t sign it until nearly a year later, during the final stretch of the 2016 presidential election. Obama, who fancied himself a constitutional scholar, never even attempted to go to the Senate for ratification. Instead, he avoided referring to the agreement as a treaty publicly, in order to argue that Senate ratification wasn’t constitutionally mandated.

Obama’s move was clearly designed to benefit him politically while also punting the legal ramifications of the unratified treaty to another president. As such, less than six months into his presidency, Trump announced, to much fury from the left, that the United States would no longer be a part of the Paris climate accords—negating the need for a potential dispute over the legality of the treaty.

Hijinx

I would not take any bets on what 70% of the republicans in the senate will do.
There are only about 10 of them that I would trust with the loan of a quarter.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I would not take any bets on what 70% of the republicans in the senate will do.
There are only about 10 of them that I would trust with the loan of a quarter.
Thinking you are a wee bit too trusting. A quarter you say? Shiat. I'd be hard pressed to lend 'em a damned dime.