BIG crabs

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Wish I had a pic.

No. 2 son works on a commercial crab boat and just came in a bit ago and said he's never seen crabs as big as some they caught today..(6 bushels of them..and it was a short day due to weather). One was so big he said he stretched it across his chest and the claws went beyond his shoulders and with its claws stretched back around his waist, they nearly touched. He's a tall skinny lad but still...:shocked:

I hope they keep catching those. Prices are down already because the catch has been pretty good so far.

Skinny kid?

I haven't caught crabs that big since I went bar hopping in Solomon's.

Chris0nllyn

I had some over the weekend and they were unbelievable. Good size, packed with meat. Good price too.

I spent all weekend eating crabs. :lol:

Seabreeze for soft shells.
Sandgates for a doz. crabs
Drft Inn for another doz.
Then crab cakes at home.

Sandgates had the best, hands down. I have no desire to go back to any of the other places (ok, maybe I'll go back home).

Tito

Donkey Smell
I spent all weekend eating crabs. :lol:

Seabreeze for soft shells.
Sandgates for a doz. crabs
Drft Inn for another doz.
Then crab cakes at home.

Sandgates had the best, hands down. I have no desire to go back to any of the other places (ok, maybe I'll go back home).

really ? hmmmm. might have to do sandgates

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
god i love crabs but not for that much, so nice to throw pot over and see whats in them next day.

I have to use chicken backs now, grocery stores aren't carring necks anymore. ANyone know where i can get SMALL packs of necks?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
god i love crabs but not for that much, so nice to throw pot over and see whats in them next day.

I have to use chicken backs now, grocery stores aren't carring necks anymore. ANyone know where i can get SMALL packs of necks?

McKays, Murphy's Town and Country probably Chaptico Market also. I know a guy that runs bowfishing charters for skate, plenty of pot bait there.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Maybe it's the year of the big crab. We picked up 3 dozen today and they were all good size, one was huge. My husband steamed them and they were better than any we've ever gotten down here. $15 a dozen here, not too bad.

Attachments

• 11392910_1123977104284538_6625398032938961845_n.jpg
    11392910_1123977104284538_6625398032938961845_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 1559500_1123984430950472_1448182626504301523_o.jpg
    1559500_1123984430950472_1448182626504301523_o.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 222

littlelady

God bless the USA
Having a crab feast get together tomorrow. I highly recommend Patuxent Seafood. They have the lowest prices and are very nice to boot. They said we will be getting many jumbos mixed into our 4 bushels of #1's. Here is their site.

http://www.patuxentseafood.com/

We have had this get together for the last 5 years. I am getting too old for this with the cleaning, and getting ready, and all for 40 people. Every where you look once you start, there is something else. :dead: Oh well. It will be fun, as usual. Nite y'all, and happy Saturday!

Edit: They run specials all the time. If you 'like' them on FB you will get their notices.

Last edited:

Roman

Having a crab feast get together tomorrow. I highly recommend Patuxent Seafood. They have the lowest prices and are very nice to boot. They said we will be getting many jumbos mixed into our 4 bushels of #1's. Here is their site.

http://www.patuxentseafood.com/

We have had this get together for the last 5 years. I am getting too old for this with the cleaning, and getting ready, and all for 40 people. Every where you look once you start, there is something else. :dead: Oh well. It will be fun, as usual. Nite y'all, and happy Saturday!
Andy and Jill are good people. You can't go wrong with them.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Andy and Jill are good people. You can't go wrong with them.

Yes they are. You and Mel are, too. We have to go with the convenience of them being just down the road when we have this yearly feast. We have bought crabs over the years from Mel, too. Hope you are doing well and life is good. :smile:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
DSCF0731.JPG

We've been catching some really nice ones over the past two weeks.

Attachments

• DSCF0716.JPG
    DSCF0716.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 310

littlelady

God bless the USA
The crabs from Patuxent Seafood were excellent. Many jumbos. $175/bushel. Just finished cleaning up. A great day was had by all. Worried about the weather, but it didn't rain here. Nite, nite, y'all. :smile:

RPMDAD

The crabs from Patuxent Seafood were excellent. Many jumbos. $175/bushel. Just finished cleaning up. A great day was had by all. Worried about the weather, but it didn't rain here. Nite, nite, y'all. :smile:

Glad to hear your crab feast was a hit. Hope you had some fun in between all the cleaning and prep work for it. :cheers: