Bill Clinton advised Dubai as Hillary criticizes its US ports deal

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kerad said:
Wrong answer...but thanks for playing.

Again..the question is...THIS.

When the US Government (the Bushies) was asked to review the deal..they said there was no need to do so.

When Bill Clinton is asked (by the deal makers!!!!) what they should do....he advised to do the 45 day review.

Who is REALLY on top of things???

Not Bushie.
50 USC Appendix § 2170.

Authority to review certain mergers, acquisitions, and takeovers

(a) Investigations

The President or the President's designee may make an investigation to determine the effects on national security of mergers, acquisitions, and takeovers proposed or pending on or after the date of enactment of this section [Aug. 23, 1988] by or with foreign persons which could result in foreign control of persons engaged in interstate commerce in the United States. If it is determined that an investigation should be undertaken, it shall commence no later than 30 days after receipt by the President or the President's designee of written notification of the proposed or pending merger, acquisition, or takeover as prescribed by regulations promulgated pursuant to this section. Such investigation shall be completed no later than 45 days after such determination.

(b) Mandatory investigations

The President or the President's designee shall make an investigation, as described in subsection (a), in any instance in which an entity controlled by or acting on behalf of a foreign government seeks to engage in any merger, acquisition, or takeover which could result in control of a person engaged in interstate commerce in the United States that could affect the national security of the United States.

It seems that the law is left open as to whether or not the investigation is mandatory based on if the deal could impact national security or not. As port security will remain under the Coast Guard, Customs, and Homeland Security it might just prove out to be that an investigation is not required for simply changing ownership of the company conducting the operations of the port between one foreign operator and another.

SmallTown

Football season!
Tonio said:
I wasn't a fan of some of Reagan's domestic policies, but let's keep a sense of perspective. His assailant wasn't a fundamentalist fanatic filled with resentment against the US. His assailant was a mentally deranged nobody filled with obsession for Jodie Foster.
But I guess it goes along with the notion that republicans are more worried about foreign policy than domestic issues :razz:

SmallTown

Football season!
Ken King said:
It seems that the law is left open as to whether or not the investigation is mandatory based on if the deal could impact national security or not. As port security will remain under the Coast Guard, Customs, and Homeland Security it might just prove out to be that an investigation is not required for simply changing ownership of the company conducting the operations of the port between one foreign operator and another.
Considering Bushy feels that we are all safer if I take off my smelly shoes when I go through airport security, I couldn't imagine him NOT wanting to review a deal on such a grand scale.

JollyRoger

Is this good or bad?

I got one red square and one green from the same post!

Bill Clinton advised Du... 03-04-2006 09:23 PM #######
Bill Clinton advised Du... 03-04-2006 10:48 AM OK, that earned some. Welcome aboard! - Railroad

Kerad

JollyRoger said:
I got one red square and one green from the same post!

Bill Clinton advised Du... 03-04-2006 09:23 PM #######
Bill Clinton advised Du... 03-04-2006 10:48 AM OK, that earned some. Welcome aboard! - Railroad

That means you're Bi-sexual.

But you already know that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:
Considering Bushy feels that we are all safer if I take off my smelly shoes when I go through airport security, I couldn't imagine him NOT wanting to review a deal on such a grand scale.
And why is it we take those shoes off? Oh yeah, Richard Reid, a Brit.