Birds in fly tapes

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I managed to catch not 1 but 2 big biting deer flies this past week on my sticky tapes that are in a covered area (not in barn). Never caught a bird, but did see a lizard of some type (small) dead on one - not sure how he managed to become attached to it. I always feel bad when I see dragonflies or butterflies stuck to the sticky tapes.

I don't use deep water tubs due to finding dead birds in the 100 gallon ones in the past. Now only use 40 and 25 gallon tubs. I hear it's a good thing to p Have no clue if that actually helps the birds.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yea, just a few weeks ago. I took the tape down.

I typically use a box of 100 fly tapes each year and have done so for many years and never caught a bird (thankfully). I put them everywhere, and eventually they dry out, so they have to be replaced whether they are full or not.

I am happy when I see flies stuck that can no longer breed, plus I use fly predators, so I tend to have few flies breeding at my place (some come from a neighbor I am sure). Of course the sticky fly tapes don't attract the big biting flies. I only caught the 2 big ones because they accidentally flew into it.

I also keep 1 of the fly sticks (about 1 foot long) by a light in the house for any flies that get inside. Usually within a few hours the fly is stuck to the sticky fly stick <G>.

spellbound

I prefer the BiteFree sticky traps shown here: http://www.starbarproducts.com/sub_page.php?id=2#Stable_Fly

I get them from Elam, they're not as messy as that sticky, twisty paper and they're large enough that birds seem to avoid them. I've been using them for about 3-4 years.

No smell either like the liquid traps (ewwww).

In the past years of using tapes, I never had a problem with the birds. I'm going to consider switching to these traps though. They'll probably solve another problem I have with the tapes being too long for my ceiling height and the potential for my tallest horse getting his head stuck in one.

Thanks for the input everyone.

devinej

LOL this takes me back to one of my ffirst posts on this forum when i got the nickname "Bird Killer"

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
LOL this takes me back to one of my ffirst posts on this forum when i got the nickname "Bird Killer"

I didn't kill one but I did end up with a juvenile chicken that tried to get out of my hands and flew into a fresh fly strip today. I peeled the fly strip off the inside of her wing, pulling away some down and small feathers. She was left with a sticky area, so put some dust on it so she wouldn't be accumulating bedding chips under her wing in the pen.

I'm such a bad Mommy LOL

spellbound

I caught a second one so we had to take them down in one stall. I don't understand why the tapes in the opposite stall have not been touched.

I am curious why they get caught in it. Just flying too close? are they trying to land on it? are they trying to eat the flies off it?

If you catch something like a bird, chicken, lizard that you want to try to set free, cut the excess fly tape, and apply a very small amount of vegetable oil to the tape/animal and the adhesive will release much easier.

Roman

If you catch something like a bird, chicken, lizard that you want to try to set free, cut the excess fly tape, and apply a very small amount of vegetable oil to the tape/animal and the adhesive will release much easier.
Or maybe use some Mayonnaise to de-goo it from the tape. It will do the trick, and it won't be as hard for the stuff to wash off, like the oil oil would.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I caught a second one so we had to take them down in one stall. I don't understand why the tapes in the opposite stall have not been touched.

I am curious why they get caught in it. Just flying too close? are they trying to land on it? are they trying to eat the flies off it?

Were the birds dead when you found them? Or did you peel it off and let them go?

I find that getting that sticky stuff off is next to impossible (hands, clothes, etc). That's why I put dust on the sticky area on the chicken. I assume the chicken won't be able to preen it off, and she will have to wait until the next molt (next month) to get rid of those feathers?

red_explorer

I prefer the BiteFree sticky traps shown here: http://www.starbarproducts.com/sub_page.php?id=2#Stable_Fly

I get them from Elam, they're not as messy as that sticky, twisty paper and they're large enough that birds seem to avoid them. I've been using them for about 3-4 years.

No smell either like the liquid traps (ewwww).

BF uses rolls of string throughout his barn....goes through about 10 rolls a year. He's had bats caught in them a few times, and barn swallows, and a few others.... He really doesnt have a choice. Its a dairy barn, so he will have flies...organic so he cant spray anything inside.

spellbound

Were the birds dead when you found them? Or did you peel it off and let them go?

I find that getting that sticky stuff off is next to impossible (hands, clothes, etc). That's why I put dust on the sticky area on the chicken. I assume the chicken won't be able to preen it off, and she will have to wait until the next molt (next month) to get rid of those feathers?

Still alive. Peeled them off but most of the feathers came off with the tape. Poor thing. The remaining feathers had so much of the glue he was not able to open his wing. we tried washing with Dawn detergent but it didn't seem to help much.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Still alive. Peeled them off but most of the feathers came off with the tape. Poor thing. The remaining feathers had so much of the glue he was not able to open his wing. we tried washing with Dawn detergent but it didn't seem to help much.

That's why I used dust/dirt to cover the stickiness. The feathers that came out will regrow in time. I must have about 4 bottles of various types of glue/goo remover, but none of them seems to work well on other surfaces I've tried on, so didn't try it on the chicken. Although that stuff could be worse than the glue on the bird?

devinej

when i had this problem a few years ago, i used oil to take the glue off, that's what dissolves glue, then you use diluted dish soap to take off the oil. mayonaise might work to take the glue off too, and then be easier to wash off than oil. and whatever you do, don't tell people you used tack oil....lol.