Birthday party ideas for 5-year-old

Hi all,

The chicklet will be turning five next month and starting kindergarten soon :yahoo: I'm looking for a couple of fun birthday party ideas that go beyond the Jumpyard in LP. Has anyone used Michaels for a crafts party? (Cost starts at $50...not bad.) I was also pondering a gymnastics party...anyone been to one of those? I know both Xtreme and the St. Mary's County gymnastics offers those. Doesn't Flat Iron farm offer something...or have they stopped? (Read a couple not-so-hot reviews on their parties, but maybe it's changed.) We're up in the Hollywood/Leonardtown area and don't mind a drive, but trying to keep it in the area for chicklet's friends.

As always, thanks in advance!

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Bake a Cake, buy a gallon of Ice Cream, buy a package of Party Favors including PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY. Invite 5 or 6 of the child's friends. Don't forget the candles. There you have it. A Child's Birthday Party with out having to keeping up with the Jones.
Your Welcome

smts

Hi all,

The chicklet will be turning five next month and starting kindergarten soon :yahoo: I'm looking for a couple of fun birthday party ideas that go beyond the Jumpyard in LP. Has anyone used Michaels for a crafts party? (Cost starts at $50...not bad.) I was also pondering a gymnastics party...anyone been to one of those? I know both Xtreme and the St. Mary's County gymnastics offers those. Doesn't Flat Iron farm offer something...or have they stopped? (Read a couple not-so-hot reviews on their parties, but maybe it's changed.) We're up in the Hollywood/Leonardtown area and don't mind a drive, but trying to keep it in the area for chicklet's friends.

We did a cake decorating party - many years back (outside). We baked a bunch of one layer cakes in the disposable round pans and put all different kinds of cake decorating supplies out. The kids decorated their own cakes and then got to eat them. Kept them busy along with games

Bake a Cake, buy a gallon of Ice Cream, buy a package of Party Favors including PIN THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY. Invite 5 or 6 of the child's friends. Don't forget the candles. There you have it. A Child's Birthday Party with out having to keeping up with the Jones.

Nah...don't want the kids all over at our house. We've been there, done that and I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to save our furniture.

SMTS: Really cute idea! Especially for a class with both boys and girls involved...who doesn't like cakes??

MISTYM1223

Hi all,

I had both of my kids birthday parties at the Little Gym in Waldorf and absolutely loved it. They do everything from keeping the kids entertained to opening the presents and distributing the cake. I didn't have to do anything.

lovinmaryland

We did a cake decorating party - many years back (outside). We baked a bunch of one layer cakes in the disposable round pans and put all different kinds of cake decorating supplies out. The kids decorated their own cakes and then got to eat them. Kept them busy along with games

We did that w/ cupcakes and pizzas one time and the kids really enjoyed it.

I am kinda over the party thing though. By the time I put out all the $ for the party it defeats the purpose. I usually just figure what I would have spent on the party and add that to the Birthday amount I spend for them.

MISTYM1223

What a shame. You're missing out. IMO. :ohwell:

I wouldn't consider it missing out. It gave me more time to sit back and enjoy watching my kids have a good time and playing in the gym with them instead of spending most of the party worrying about having enough food and cleaning up all of the mess. I am all for stress free birthday parties.

TPD

the poor dad
Parents these days are really screwing up! Why must we always be expected to entertain our kids? And why aren't we disciplining them so we don't have to be concerned about them tearing up the furniture when they come over? I remember a good ass whooping would prevent me from damaging someone's belongings! Some of my greatest b-day party memories was of my mother baking a cake and putting a few toothpicks in it - the 2 or 3 kids that got a toothpick got a special gift-sometimes just a piece of Double Bubble bubble gum. We didn't have goody bags for all kids in attendance. We went outside and played hide-n-seek or kickball or made ramps to jump with our bicycles. Now those were fun birthday parties - especially if someone fell off the bike and got scratched up.

I agree with Sweet16 and happyazz on this one.

puggymom

My daughter had a cute birthday at the Lemondrop and What not shop in Prince Frederick. I cannot find the website though. I know the La Plata store closed but did the PF one too?

I do not know but if it is still there it was cute.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
I had both of my kids birthday parties at the Little Gym in Waldorf and absolutely loved it. They do everything from keeping the kids entertained to opening the presents and distributing the cake. I didn't have to do anything.

I had one of my daughters birthday party there. Unfortunately it is no longer there.

Ray

When my boys were 5 we purchased a party package from the bowling alley in Waldorf. They were allowed 8 friends and everyone got pizza, cokes, and a game of bowling.