Black Powder Gun Questions

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Hello all you hunters out there - help a slightly ignorant wife!!

My hubby has mentioned that he wants/needs a new black powder gun. He has also said his dad would love one of the new break action black powder guns. So... off I go to Cabelas.com.

Here come the questions. I know rifle hunting is not allowed in MD. On cabelas, under black powder, they have as two of the categories: "traditional rifles & shotguns" and "rifles."

The only break action one I can find is listed as a rifle. Can you hunt with black powder rifles? I mean, since their range should be far less than a regular rifle and I thought that's why rifles aren't allowed - due to their range. Or, do I still have to get a shotgun even if it's black powder?

I assume a thumbhole stock is a personal choice right? No real advantage on that?

What is a balck powder double barrel shotgun? I mean, I believe double barrel means you can load each barrel, meaning you have two shots loaded. So, is that what that means? Is that better?

I'm going to hush now and let you guys school me on what kind of black powder gun would be nice. :biggrin:

MMDad

Lem Putt
My hubby has mentioned that he wants/needs a new black powder gun. He has also said his dad would love one of the new break action black powder guns. So... off I go to Cabelas.com.
Get your husband to help you pick out his Dad's gun. Get his Dad to help you pick out your husband's gun. Swear them both to silence.

They probably know more about what each of them want than you'll ever be able to figure out.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Get your husband to help you pick out his Dad's gun. Get his Dad to help you pick out your husband's gun. Swear them both to silence.

They probably know more about what each of them want than you'll ever be able to figure out.

Good idea - and that's about the truth!

I think getting the hubby to pick out dad's gun will be real easy.

However, getting his dad to pick out hubby's will be more difficult. He'e weird about spending other people's money - even in situations like this - and will just point to the cheapest one! :lol:

I am going to do the sneaky thing. He was on cabelas last night, so I'm going to check the history and see exactly what he was looking at. Also, when we shop for his dads, I'll point to one's I'm thinking of for hubby and say "oh, that's nice, isn't it?" and see what he says. OOOOO! Just had a thought - my Brother in Law - HE can help me pick out a gun for Stephen! He's a hunter too!!

BTW: Why don't they have pink camouflage guns? I'd like one of those!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Get your husband to help you pick out his Dad's gun. Get his Dad to help you pick out your husband's gun. Swear them both to buy silencers.

:fixed:

As long as it loads from the muzzle (front of the barrel), it's a muzzle loader and thus legal to hunt with in MD.

Thumbhole stock gives a stronger hold on the gun.

Breakaction are easier to clean and hold the cap securely and weatherproof.

209 primer is the hottest ignition system out there.

I personally do not like the stainless and nickle barrels. I prefer the blued/black barrels (less chance of light reflecting off it to spook the deer).

Rifle just means the bore is rifled as opposed to smoothbore.

MMDad said:

:yeahthat:

If possible, take hubby to Bass Pro so he can handle the guns and find the one that fits him best (all in the theme of picking out one for his father of course).

Vince

Knight or Thompson is a good brand of Blackpowder rifle. Have a Knight inline and I love it. Bolt action with the cap in a plastic holder. Easy load for the cap and get the 50 cal sabots. Easy loading all the way around.

Knight or Thompson is a good brand of Blackpowder rifle. Have a Knight inline and I love it. Bolt action with the cap in a plastic holder. Easy load for the cap and get the 50 cal sabots. Easy loading all the way around.
I am currently shooting a super elcheapo $99.99 after tax WalMart special CVA inline 50 cal. Dirt cheap and a tack driver. I want to upgrade the ignition system and go to a weatherproof one.

I am thinking of going with a 45 cal for my next BP rifle. I haven't heard any bad stuff on them, and with the power supplied by the modern charges of sabots, pyrodex and 209 primers, I don't think I'd have an issue with not killing them.

Anybody ever used a 45 cal inline for deer, or know somebody that has?

Novus Collectus

It is legal to hunt deer with cartridge rifles in about half of the MD counties.
It is lawful to hunt deer with muzzloader rifles and all shotguns in all counties.

Muzzleloader Regulations

Muzzleloading rifles and shotguns may be used to hunt forest game, upland game (shotgun only for dove and woodcock), coyote, fisher, fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, woodchuck. Muzzleloader shotguns, with non-toxic shot only, may be used to hunt waterfowl, coots, rails, and snipe. Muzzleloading rifles may not be used to hunt turkey during the spring season.

Muzzleloaders used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size and use not less than 60 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Sabot loads are legal.

It is permissible to hunt deer with a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun in all counties. Telescopic sights may be used on a muzzleloader during Firearms or Muzzleloader Seasons statewide.

Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder.
Firearms, Bow, and Falconry Regulations: Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland 2007-2008

A smokeless powder muzzloader specifically designed to use smokeless powder is permissible.

It is possible to buy a shotgun and use the shotgun during that season and replace the barrel with a black powder, muzzleloading barrel so he can use that for the other season. Not sure if it is cost effective though.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
As long as it loads from the muzzle (front of the barrel), it's a muzzle loader and thus legal to hunt with in MD.

Thumbhole stock gives a stronger hold on the gun.

Breakaction are easier to clean and hold the cap securely and weatherproof.

209 primer is the hottest ignition system out there.

I personally do not like the stainless and nickle barrels. I prefer the blued/black barrels (less chance of light reflecting off it to spook the deer).

Rifle just means the bore is rifled as opposed to smoothbore.

:yeahthat:

If possible, take hubby to Bass Pro so he can handle the guns and find the one that fits him best (all in the theme of picking out one for his father of course).

Have you seen this? CVA | Electra Magnum Series

Vince

Attachments

• 1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
    1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 83

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
That looks COOL! I'd wait a year or 3 before buying one to make sure it was going to make it on the market. I'd also rather have one with breakaction to make cleaning easier.

Besides who do you call if it breaks a gunsmith or geeks on call?

jrt_ms1995

Hello all you hunters out there - help a slightly ignorant wife!!

Here come the questions. I know rifle hunting is not allowed in MD. On cabelas, under black powder, they have as two of the categories: "traditional rifles & shotguns" and "rifles."

The only break action one I can find is listed as a rifle. Can you hunt with black powder rifles? I mean, since their range should be far less than a regular rifle and I thought that's why rifles aren't allowed - due to their range. Or, do I still have to get a shotgun even if it's black powder?

As someone mentioned earlier, yes, the break action, bolt action, and other non-traditional non-cartridge black powder rifles can be used for deer in MD. And, obviously, the traditional style rifles can be as well.

What is a balck powder double barrel shotgun? I mean, I believe double barrel means you can load each barrel, meaning you have two shots loaded. So, is that what that means? Is that better?

I'm going to hush now and let you guys school me on what kind of black powder gun would be nice. :biggrin:

Yes, a black powder double-barrelled shotgun has two barrels, each of which is loaded independently. However, if their primary purpose is deer hunting, IMO you do not want to get them a black powder shotgun; the range and accuracy from the shotgun (as compared to a rifle) will likely be a disappointment to them. It would also be more expensive than a traditional or non-traditional single-shot black powder rifle. Now, if you're loaded, there are traditional, double-barrelled black powder rifles available, but from your post I gather that they'd both prefer one of the modern in-line non-traditional rifles. I prefer the traditional styles, so if you'd like to reward me, I'd like one of the Kodiak Express Rifles in .58.
:drool:

ImnoMensa

Would you want your husband to pick out your sewing machine?

A good present that he wants is better than a bad surprise.