Blackeyed Peas

K

Kain99

really? I am suprised because it doesn't mention butter or cheese, her two favorites. It is probably good but I dont like olives, the smell makes my stomach turn. I love her cooking and she seems like a great party host, she's like the grandma I always wanted as far as cooking.

Paula Deen Rocks! I'm thinking we can leave the olives out!

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I just cook them down with a ham hock, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. :shrug:

My traditional New Years meal is always corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage. I don't even know why but it's a family tradition - must be an Irish thing. :confused:

sweetprincess23

I just cook them down with a ham hock, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. :shrug:

My traditional New Years meal is always corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage. I don't even know why but it's a family tradition - must be an Irish thing. :confused:

yeah I think its the ham hock that sets them off! Thats about all that the people I know do with them.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Yep, gotta have a ham bone. Which I happen to have. Was going to go with navy beans, now you got me thinking...

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
A few years back I started making a "cold" black eyed pea salad and I absolutely love it.

Cook your peas as normal. Rinse and chill in the fridge.

Take one can of corn, rinse and drain.

Chop one red onion finely.

Chop one to two tomatoes, removing the seeds.

Take one chili pepper - dice finely, removing seeds. (optional)

Mix everything together in one bowl.

Add a very healthy splash of balsamic vinegar (enough to coat everything) and some kosher salt. If you have some fresh cilantro, that would be yummy to add some as well. Even fresh chopped up basil. Place back into the fridge.

Stir well before serving. I usually serve a big heaping spoonful on an arugula leaf.

It's now my "salad" every year and I use a variation on this with a lot of different beans throughout the year.

For those of you making any kind of soup or beans with a ham hock, the Goya section in SFW sells ham bullion cubes. My mom used to use that all the time (different brand) when she made split pea soup or something, then it wasn't available for a long time. I recently saw that Goya sells one.

Helps boost the flavor when you need it.

K

Kain99

For those of you making any kind of soup or beans with a ham hock, the Goya section in SFW sells ham bullion cubes. My mom used to use that all the time (different brand) when she made split pea soup or something, then it wasn't available for a long time. I recently saw that Goya sells one.

Helps boost the flavor when you need it.

I just bought ham bullion when I made soup last week! Good stuff.

Cowgirl

Good deal...I like them...but they ain't no purple hull or crowders...:buddies:

I've never had either of those. :shrug: They're starting to smell so good! :drool: I always think about making them, but I never do. I'm glad New Year's gave me an excuse. :lol:

T

toppick08

I've never had either of those. :shrug: They're starting to smell so good! :drool: I always think about making them, but I never do. I'm glad New Year's gave me an excuse. :lol:

toppick purple hull peas......:buddies:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
1 bag of bep ,add 4 smoked turkey necks, put in pressure cooker 45minutes and viola. Pick out the bones from the turkey necks and serve

Etred101

Bag of blackeyed peas.
Bacon - 3 slices
Adobo (Goya con pimento) 1/2 teaspoon to taste.
Old Bay 1/2 - 1 ts
italian seasoning
1/2 pouch of onion soup mix
3/4 diced onion
Garlic
Boil & keep adding water. When peas are soft then sprinkle flour to thicken. Stir but be careful not to mush peas with spoon.