Blatant Profiling!

BOP

Attorney General Holder is essentially saying IF the law goes into effect and IF there is evidence of racial profiling in the application of the law, we'll sue on that basis at that time. That seems completely reasonable. If they pressed an as applied challenge based on improper racial profiling now, people would criticize them for presuming that there would be racial profiling. An as applied challenge might be easier to make out after the law is actually applied, and there is an actual application record to point to.

For now, the Administration is basing its challenge on the situation as it exists, not as it might develop. People may not like it, but they are on solid legal ground in doing so - with regard to various portions of the Arizona law, it's a close call. Whether the Administration wins or not will probably depend largely on which judge they drew (or which 3 judges they get at the Circuit Court level).

It sounds reasonable, but a) libs aren't real well known for their reasonableness, and b) this is the same administration that has, for the 3rd time, issued a moratorium against offshore drilling, despite a circuit court judge and an appeals court telling them "oh, no you can't."

I've read a Supreme Court case, U.S. v Brignoni-Ponce (1975), which I find to be interesting with regard to this (Arizona immigration law) issue. I'm not quite sure what to make of it though, as it seems to me that it may cut both ways, and I'm not even sure that it's still valid law. It also lead me to the conclusion that something is missing from the Arizona law.

On the one hand, it would seem to support the use of "Mexican appearance" as "a relevant factor", though not the only factor, in determining that reasonable suspicion exists that someone is an illegal alien - at least in so far as the Constitution might prohibit such use. Additionally, it would seem to support the Constitutionality of a brief investigative seizure based only on reasonable suspicion that someone is an illegal alien.

On the other hand, to my reading, it suggests that anything more than a brief investigative seizure would require probable cause to believe that someone is an illegal alien (or, of course, that they had committed some (other) crime). "The officer may question the driver and passengers about their citizenship and immigration status, and he may ask them to explain suspicious circumstances, but any further detention or search must be based on consent or probable cause." (This case involved border patrol officers on roving patrol stopping vehicles in the border area, though not actually at the border, based solely on suspicion that they contained illegal aliens. The facts are clearly different from what might present under the Arizona law, but I don't discern any reason to distinguish the situations with regard to this last finding.)

Reading the first section of the Arizona law again, it contains this:

B. For any lawful stop, detention or arrest made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state in the enforcement of any other law or ordinance of a county, city or town or this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien and is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person, except if the determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation. Any person who is arrested shall have the person's immigration status determined before the person is released. The person's immigration status shall be verified with the federal government pursuant to 8 United States code section 1373(c). A law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state may not consider race, color or national origin in implementing the requirements of this subsection except to the extent permitted by the United States or Arizona Constitution. A person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer or agency any of the following:

Which leaves the question, what is a LEO required or allowed to do if and when, after having made a reasonable attempt to determine the immigration status of the person in question, they neither are able to confirm that they are legally present or have probable cause to believe that they aren't? I can't find where the law tells us. Based in part on U.S. v Brignoni-Ponce, I'm inclined to believe that arresting them, merely because an officer hasn't been able to satisfactorily determine their immigration status, would be unConstitutional (per the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments).

Does anyone know, does Arizona law require everyone to carry a valid ID, and are they subject to arrest for failing to do so or to provide it to a LEO when asked? If not, even with this new law, I don't see where LEO's could detain someone that they reasonably suspect to be an illegal alien and who fails to prove otherwise, unless an initial inquiry yields probable cause to believe they are. Probable cause and reasonable suspicion are quite different standards.

It sounds reasonable, but a) libs aren't real well known for their reasonableness, and b) this is the same administration that has, for the 3rd time, issued a moratorium against offshore drilling, despite a circuit court judge and an appeals court telling them "oh, no you can't."

Have there been 3 moratoriums issued or 2? I may have missed one, but I only recall 2.

More importantly though, the most recent moratorium wasn't issued despite the Administration being told 'oh, no you can't' issue a moratorium. The Administration was told that the moratorium it had issued was being enjoined, but that decision was based on the specifics of that moratorium. The district court judge found that its immense scope wasn't sufficiently connected with the findings of the Secretary's Report, in specific, and the safety concerns expressed, in general. It wasn't that the Administration didn't have the authority to issue a moratorium, it was that it couldn't issue the one it did issue (i.e. based on the details of it).

If anything, the judge's opinion was inviting, not prohibiting, a more narrowly tailored action. Whether the latest moratorium is sufficiently narrow, or otherwise sufficiently supported by new information or findings, is another question. I have no idea of the answer. But, the Administration's issuance of a new moratorium is not, per se, defiance of the judge's previous order.

Arizona Immigration Law: Phoenix Cop David Salgado Sues Over Racial Profiling Concerns - WSJ.com

PHOENIX—A lawyer for a Phoenix police officer told a federal court Thursday his client could be sued for racial profiling if he enforces Arizona's new immigration law. It is the first hearing in a series of legal challenges filed over the controversial crackdown which has divided law enforcement in the state and across the country.

Officer David Salgado, a 19-year veteran of the Phoenix police department, could also lose his job if he fails to enforce the new law, his attorney said.

Arizona's statute requires an officer to verify the immigration status of a person stopped for other alleged crimes, if "reasonable suspicion" exists of illegal presence in the U.S.

But the law also empowers Arizona residents to sue an officer they believe isn't enforcing the law to the fullest extent.

"If he enforces the law, he can be sued. If he doesn't enforce the law, he can be sued" by a private citizen, said Stephen Montoya, the attorney for Mr. Salgado. His client "is caught between a rock and a hard place," he said.

EDIT: BTW, I think this lawsuit is probably on flimsy ground.

Last edited:

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
He is being paid to enforce the law, even if he does not like it. Time for a new job otherwise.

TurboK9

That's stupid. If he racially profiles he's breaking the law, thus not enforcing it to the fullest extent, so he can't be sued for NOT racially profiling. This is NOT a lawsuit over the AZ law, it's a lawsuit over profiling. Nobody is telling the man to profile as part of his job, in fact, the enforcement of law requires that he NOT profile.

It's a bull#### lawsuit by a crappy cop who sees potential CHA-CHING what with all the hubbub.

IMHO.