Blood Pressure

Rock_Chick

I went to the doctor yesterday ( my doc was on vacay so I had to see the on call doctor) and he said that I might have some blood pressure issues. They did some tests and said that I have to come back on Monday. What I do know is that from laying down to sitting up to standing up my blood pressure fluctuates from 90/68 to 100/72 to 116/74. The doctor said that the top number is whats worrying him. That its jumping 10 points per motion and thats a big jump. Of course I'm going to ask him on Monday what all of that means but what is that top number? I mean why is it a big deal that its jumping? Anyone know?

I went to the doctor yesterday ( my doc was on vacay so I had to see the on call doctor) and he said that I might have some blood pressure issues. They did some tests and said that I have to come back on Monday. What I do know is that from laying down to sitting up to standing up my blood pressure fluctuates from 90/68 to 100/72 to 116/74. The doctor said that the top number is whats worrying him. That its jumping 10 points per motion and thats a big jump. Of course I'm going to ask him on Monday what all of that means but what is that top number? I mean why is it a big deal that its jumping? Anyone know?

How old are you? Those numbers are pretty good, actually, and you have to expect the numbers to rise when you move. When you get a bit older, 125/85 sitting still is great!

I'd follow up with your regular doctor and take what this guy says with a grain of salt.

Rock_Chick

How old are you? Those numbers are pretty good, actually, and you have to expect the numbers to rise when you move. When you get a bit older, 125/85 sitting still is great!

I'm 31. He seemed concerned. I went in because I thought I had Vertigo again. I was also having heart palpatations

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You BP will usually fluctuate from a standing to a sitting/laying position. Ask your doctor to take your BP at the start of the exam (probably when most people are more nervous), and again towards the end... maybe 10 minutes in. Take it sitting and laying down.

I'm 31. He seemed concerned. I went in because I thought I had Vertigo again. I was also having heart palpatations

Ah. different story. You probably would benefit from an EKG and full stress workup, although from past experience, you don't generally get vertigo from BP that low unless there is something else going on.

Rock_Chick

Ah. different story. You probably would benefit from an EKG and full stress workup, although from past experience, you don't generally get vertigo from BP that low unless there is something else going on.

I have a LOT of stress right now. My dad said its probably because of my stress level

Sounds like anxiety/panic attacks... especially with the heart palps (if your heart is okay). It is easily treatable.

:yeahthat:

I never had palps until I went thru a divorce. I still get them occasionally, but only when I am under stress at work or something.

vertigo is caused my panic attacks?

Vertigo can have many causes. Inner ear, disease, blood pressure issues, etc... Your specific cause needs to be isolated. It could be that your stress causes you to tense up, the BP rises, the blood vessels in the inner ear constrict, .....

In my non-medical non-professional opinion..... :lol:

Rock_Chick

Vertigo can have many causes. Inner ear, disease, blood pressure issues, etc... Your specific cause needs to be isolated. It could be that your stress causes you to tense up, the BP rises, the blood vessels in the inner ear constrict, .....

In my non-medical non-professional opinion..... :lol:

:lol: do you know what the top number of your BP means?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Your "top" number is your systolic bp..the number measures your heart as it contracts. Generally docs are more worried about the bottom number because that meassures your heart at rest.

your bp isn't actually sup to change much from laying to sitting to standing. when they measure it in dif positions it is called your orthostatic vitals..in general dizziness is caused by a steep DROP in bp..not a raise. A raise in bP upon changing position isn't very common. and I am certainly not a doc, but that change doesn't seem to be too huge where I personally would worry. Perhaps your symptoms in addition to a slight raise have him worried. that sort of fluctuation can easily be explained by equipment issues or not waiting long enough.

orthostatic vitals are very "picky" though. They have to be done right. They should use a manual cuff NOT a machine and there is a certain amount of time they should wait when you change positions. In general I wait a minute to a minute and a half. too soon and you get a normal "movement" fluctuation.

I can't remeber ever seeing someone with orthostatic hypertension (bp going up) only it going down. I think I remember something about diabetics sometimes having that issue. if you aren't diabetic, I think there are a few other pretty rare syndromes.

Personally, I would have them repeat it. Avoid caffiene and eat healthy before you go, make sure they use a manual cuff, they wait a minute or two between changes, and sit there awhile before you start.

her bp is in the low to normal range. I wouldn't worry about stroking out. I would check blood sugar and iron levels and retest the ortho vitals.
I have a relative why normally has low to normal range BP but didn't realize that they had sudden spikes until they had a mini-stroke and were monitored. Only after specifically being monitored looking for spikes did anyone realize the spikes were occurring.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Lately MY B.P. Has Been High

I have a relative why normally has low to normal range BP but didn't realize that they had sudden spikes until they had a mini-stroke and were monitored. Only after specifically being monitored looking for spikes did anyone realize the spikes were occurring.

I can't think of what it was the last time I checked; but it raises eyebrows.
I am on 400 mg/day of Phenytoin Sodium. Think that is a contributing factor?

Rock_Chick

Your "top" number is your systolic bp..the number measures your heart as it contracts. Generally docs are more worried about the bottom number because that meassures your heart at rest.

your bp isn't actually sup to change much from laying to sitting to standing. when they measure it in dif positions it is called your orthostatic vitals..in general dizziness is caused by a steep DROP in bp..not a raise. A raise in bP upon changing position isn't very common. and I am certainly not a doc, but that change doesn't seem to be too huge where I personally would worry. Perhaps your symptoms in addition to a slight raise have him worried. that sort of fluctuation can easily be explained by equipment issues or not waiting long enough.

orthostatic vitals are very "picky" though. They have to be done right. They should use a manual cuff NOT a machine and there is a certain amount of time they should wait when you change positions. In general I wait a minute to a minute and a half. too soon and you get a normal "movement" fluctuation.

I can't remeber ever seeing someone with orthostatic hypertension (bp going up) only it going down. I think I remember something about diabetics sometimes having that issue. if you aren't diabetic, I think there are a few other pretty rare syndromes.

Personally, I would have them repeat it. Avoid caffiene and eat healthy before you go, make sure they use a manual cuff, they wait a minute or two between changes, and sit there awhile before you start.

Strange you say that because they have tested me for diabetes a few times. I have the signs but never am diagnosed with diabetes. My dad has it so thats their concern there. On my fee ticket they wrote Hypotention not Hypertention . Guess I should google that