Blood Pressure

TGB

I went to the doctor yesterday ( my doc was on vacay so I had to see the on call doctor) and he said that I might have some blood pressure issues. They did some tests and said that I have to come back on Monday. What I do know is that from laying down to sitting up to standing up my blood pressure fluctuates from 90/68 to 100/72 to 116/74. The doctor said that the top number is whats worrying him. That its jumping 10 points per motion and thats a big jump. Of course I'm going to ask him on Monday what all of that means but what is that top number? I mean why is it a big deal that its jumping? Anyone know?

Whenever someone goes from lying to standing position thier blood pressure rises. For some they can tell in others you get a dizzy feeling and then you are fine. I wouldrecommend that you monitor your blood pressure at home for about 2 weeks.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Strange you say that because they have tested me for diabetes a few times. I have the signs but never am diagnosed with diabetes. My dad has it so thats their concern there. On my fee ticket they wrote Hypotention not Hypertention . Guess I should google that

That means your bp went DOWN as you moved, instead of up. were your numbers in the op switched? That is a LOT more common. Still that amount of change could DEF be due to equipment or improper procedure.

Your bp has a normal dip when changing positions from lying to standing. But sometimes if it is a bigger than expected dip it can be a problem. Low blood sugar, heart abnormalities, and a few other things can cause this. Sometimes it is idiopathic and has no real discernable cause. It can DEF cause dizziness and headaches.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Whenever someone goes from lying to standing position thier blood pressure rises. For some they can tell in others you get a dizzy feeling and then you are fine. I wouldrecommend that you monitor your blood pressure at home for about 2 weeks.

This is incorrect. Your bp normally falls a little bit upon rising. Your bady has severeal processes in place to prevent a large change in BP, but the norm is a very small decrease.

Roman

:lol: do you know what the top number of your BP means?

It's called Systolic, and it is when the blood from the top chambers of the heart go through the valves, down to the bottom chambers, and then back out to the system. Normal Systolic pressure is 110 to 120. Anything above 120 is now considered borderline Hypertention, and anything below 110 could be considered Hypotention. When the top number goes too low, you can feel dizzy, as it often mimicks Vertigo. Your Doctor may send you to a Cardiologist just to be safe. By the way..I wrote this before reading the rest of the Posts, and if anyone else wrote the same thing..SORRY. The bottom number of the Blood Pressure is called diastolic, and that's the Cardiac Resting Phase. Normal diastolic is between 60 to 80. I hope I helped a bit.

Roman

It's called Systolic, and it is when the blood from the top chambers of the heart go through the valves, down to the bottom chambers, and then back out to the system. Normal Systolic pressure is 110 to 120. Anything above 120 is now considered borderline Hypertention, and anything below 110 could be considered Hypotention. When the top number goes too low, you can feel dizzy, as it often mimicks Vertigo. Your Doctor may send you to a Cardiologist just to be safe. By the way..I wrote this before reading the rest of the Posts, and if anyone else wrote the same thing..SORRY. The bottom number of the Blood Pressure is called diastolic, and that's the Cardiac Resting Phase. Normal diastolic is between 60 to 80. I hope I helped a bit.

HYPERtention=High Blood Pressure
HYPOtention=Low Blood Pressure

Roman

I went to the doctor yesterday ( my doc was on vacay so I had to see the on call doctor) and he said that I might have some blood pressure issues. They did some tests and said that I have to come back on Monday. What I do know is that from laying down to sitting up to standing up my blood pressure fluctuates from 90/68 to 100/72 to 116/74. The doctor said that the top number is whats worrying him. That its jumping 10 points per motion and thats a big jump. Of course I'm going to ask him on Monday what all of that means but what is that top number? I mean why is it a big deal that its jumping? Anyone know?

he's probably worried about the LOW Systolic of 90. Even infants BP is a bit higher than that. The other 2 readings are just perfect though.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I'm 31. He seemed concerned. I went in because I thought I had Vertigo again. I was also having heart palpatations

A couple years ago, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having heart palpitations. She didn't seem too concerned about it.
Recently, I went to the same doctor when I was extremely ill and thought I had Lyme disease.
She took one look at me and I was hospitalized immediately. My blood pressure kept going up and down. In the hospital, my pulse was beating up to 180 beats per minute. It took several days to stabilize my blood pressure and heart rate.
The diagnosis: atrial fibrillation. The doctor and cardiologist both told me that in my condition, they were surprized I did not have a major, paralyzing stroke.
Turns out, my Dad, who just turned 81, also has AFib. I am in my early 50's.
My advice: take the palpitations seriously. They were a warning sign that I didn't give much thought (nor did my doctor)