Bloody urine?

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
I have a 6 year old pug, just adopted him a year ago, so don't know his entire medical history. Yesterday I noticed his urine was red. Eep! I've read that it is most likely a UTI or stones. He doesn't seem to be in pain (yet!). He is neutered.

The problem is that my regular vet (Dr. Brown, for those of you in Calvert) can't see him until Saturday morning. :frown: Should I try to find a sooner appointment at another vet? Love Dr. Brown and Dr. Stotler, and really don't want to have to pay "new patient" fees with another vet.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I can't advise you one way or the other, but if it were my pet, I'd try to find someone who could see him right away. That's just me. I don't think all vets charge a new patient fee. I don't recall ever paying one.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Okay, will do!

A friend said I might just be able to drop off a urine sample, but I can't imagine that would be easy to collect. :ohwell:

Okay, will do!

A friend said I might just be able to drop off a urine sample, but I can't imagine that would be easy to collect. :ohwell:

I've seen it done. You tape a shallow cup to the end of a stick/broom handle then when the pup squats you stick the cup under. It is not easy because the dog usually jumps up and looks at you with, "WTF?" on it's face.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Got an appointment for 5:30 this evening at a different vet.

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I care about the little guy! Just seemed like most of the articles I read online said not to "freak out." Wasn't sure if they meant just that it wasn't needed to rush to the emergency vet.

When he had an ulcer/sore on his eye, the consensus was to get him to the vet ASAP, and we did that. I need a chart for "crisis level." :loser:

Thanks!

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I care about the little guy! Just seemed like most of the articles I read online said not to "freak out." Wasn't sure if they meant just that it wasn't needed to rush to the emergency vet.

When he had an ulcer/sore on his eye, the consensus was to get him to the vet ASAP, and we did that. I need a chart for "crisis level." :loser:

Thanks!

It may not be an emergency right now, but it could be by 5:30 today, or 5:30 tomorrow. Personally, I'd rather my pet not begin experiencing pain, and I'd rather not pay for an emergency visit.

tommyjo

I have a 6 year old pug, just adopted him a year ago, so don't know his entire medical history. Yesterday I noticed his urine was red. Eep! I've read that it is most likely a UTI or stones. He doesn't seem to be in pain (yet!). He is neutered.

The problem is that my regular vet (Dr. Brown, for those of you in Calvert) can't see him until Saturday morning. :frown: Should I try to find a sooner appointment at another vet? Love Dr. Brown and Dr. Stotler, and really don't want to have to pay "new patient" fees with another vet.

Get to a vet asap. Had this experience 2 years ago.

She had hemorragic gastroentritis (likely spelled wrong). It was easily curred but also potentially fatal due to extreme dehydration...don't wait. Vet said had I not brought her right in, she might not have lasted the day.

tommyjo

Get to a vet asap. Had this experience 2 years ago.

She had hemorragic gastroentritis (likely spelled wrong). It was easily curred but also potentially fatal due to extreme dehydration...don't wait. Vet said had I not brought her right in, she might not have lasted the day.

best of luck to you and your companion.

Roman

It's a shame that they couldn't get him in for this. You'd think they'd make the room for a simple visit. It's probably just a UTI, but it's still important that he be seen asap. Poor little guy! Well wishes...............

animalluvr4life

animal luvr

Thanks!

How is your dog doing this am? what did the vet say the problem was?

ROXYBOARD15

Had this same thing happen to my male American Bulldog. I use Doc Brown as well but to be honest I was lucky because I would have never noticed it had there not been snow on the ground. Turns out my pups problem was an enlarged/inflamed prostate. He had surgery a little over a year ago for it- ever since no problems. It upsets me that Doc Brown couldn't get you in- normally they understand urgency and I feel this was urgent!

Either way I hope it was an easy fix problem and your pup is okay.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Thanks!

Hope everything is ok with your pup.