Bluegrass

BOP

I don't remember when I developed a taste for bluegrass. Sometime in my early adulthood, I guess.

Men With Banjos Who Know How to Use Them:

Mean Mary, who plays a variety of instruments, and has an amazing inspirational story to tell on her website. And who happens to be :hot:

This is by the Darlings (screen name), aka "The Dillards," and is a great song!

If you don't like this, we need to check for a pulse.

BOP

Probably picked up bluegrass from the Andy Griffith show, and from the Beverly Hillbillies, whose theme song was by Flatt and Scruggs.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Sundays are bluegrass days for me. It's sort of my church in a way. I love old time country and bluegrass on Sunday.
I was turned on to bluegrass when I was 15 or so from a new kid in school. He was so out of place there. A country boy who moved from Georgia to Baltimore. Anyway, I played bass at the time and he turned out to be an excellent musician himself. He taught me more in one day (using bluegrass) than I had learned in the 2 years prior, jamming punk and metal tunes. More to do with theory and such but that day, something just clicked with me.
I have the first gig we played together in 1984 on CD. We were 15 and played to house of 500+ people. It still chills me to listen to the roar of the crowd after the first song ended. We were 15 and the other two guys were in there 60's at the time. One (his name was Alex) taught my friend to play and the other (Andy) was a banjo player we had never met until that very evening. I really need to upload it someday. Our first gig was only 3 songs. Rocky Top, Wildwood Flower and Mountain Dew but from that day on I was completely hooked forever.
Such a great time in my life. Any particular weekend I could be playing punk on Friday, metal or progressive tunes on Saturday and then bluegrass/old time country on Sunday. Never any shortage a jam sessions for me in those days.
Haven't seen my old friend in many years as he took a wrong turn along the way. The last I heard he was a sessions player in Nashville but substance abuse had taken it's toll. I hope to see and jam with my old friend again some day.

ginwoman

have listened to Blue grass all weekend at a festival! It was a great time...lots of talent there.

belvak

Happy Camper
I grew up listening to Bluegrass!!! I remember many a time going to Take It Easy Ranch in Callaway for a weekend of bluegrass. It was like a giant family reunion! All of us kids would run amok while the grown ups did their thing! Guess I absorbed it by osmosis. Seems like that was Sunday morning church lots of times! I love Rocky Top, and I still remember sitting on benches listening to Mac Wiseman doing Wabash Cannonball.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
used to catch a band the Seldom Scene at a little bar in northern VA called the Annandale Grill

ginwoman

Mark your calendar for July 31st (Sunday) at Cryers Back Road Inn. There will be an all day Bluegrass fundraiser for a lady who is sick. They are having 9 bluegrass groups.... More info on somd events calendar. Going to be a great day of music.

One of my favorite bluegrass songs ever is He Died a Rounder at 21... I have no clue who these guys are, but he belts it... and he's cute.