BOA dumps $75Trillion on U.S. Taxpayer

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...

bcp

In My Opinion
Considering that BOA made a ton of no doc loans to illegals, I would have to say that this is another cost of illegals to the country.

Let BOA fail, no bailout, no transfer of loss to Americans. Maybe they can petittion Mexico to bail them out.
Those that lose will be the investers, not the public in General, and that is how it should be when something like this happens. Investing is a gamble.

E

EmptyTimCup

:faint:

Contrary to popular belief, which blames the global financial crisis on subprime borrowers, it was the derivatives, based upon the likelihood that those borrowers would pay their debts, that were the primary catalyst triggering the global economic crisis of 2008. Back then, the derivative obligations of AIG (AIG) imploded the insurer. Under the pressure of fear-mongering from the Federal Reserve and the financial industry, the U.S. government committed hundreds of billions of dollars to bail out AIG's counter-parties, including the biggest banks of Europe and America. Had the government not stepped in, virtually all the banks on Wall Street would have gone bankrupt. A host of European and Asian banks would have followed.

AIG was not FDIC insured. It could have been allowed to fail, and should have been allowed to fail. All the banks on Wall Street that would have failed should have failed. Their speculator counter-parties should have been bankrupted, and their retail depositors should have been made whole. The retail divisions could have been temporarily nationalized and sold off as soon as possible to more prudent management. Had this occurred, America would have experienced a deep but very temporary economic downturn, and, by now, the downturn would be over. But, with derivatives obligations tied intimately with FDIC insured depositary units, the debt will need to be paid by the government, as a matter of law. We will have no legal choice except to default, or pay them off.

ok what really would have been the downside of these huge banks going tits up [never mind the 2nd paragraph sorta answered that question]

This latest example of misconduct illustrates the error of allowing a bank-controlled entity, like the Federal Reserve, complete power over the nation's monetary system. The so-called "reforms" enacted by Congress, in the wake of the 2008 crash, have vested more, and not less, power in the Federal Reserve, and supplied us with more, rather than less instability and problems.

This is not an isolated instance. JP Morgan Chase (JPM) is being allowed to house its unstable derivative obligations within its FDIC insured retail banking unit. Other big banks do the same. So long as the Federal Reserve exists and/or other financial regulatory agencies continue to be run by a revolving door staff that moves in and out of industry and government, crony capitalism will be alive and well in America. No amount of Dodd-Frank or Volcker rule legislation will ever protect savers, taxpayers or the American people. Profits will continue to be privatized and losses socialized.

Last edited by a moderator:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I can't remember where I posted the link and nobody picked up on it. The link was a graphic posting the values/where all the money is. Nobody latched onto the $450-$600 trillion in worldwide derivatives (depending on the year) or other startling figures that make our countries financial issues look like chump change.

The problem is that derivatives are hard to quantify. Offsetting derivatives can be counted twice or more but have the same instrument at the bottom of it. The value of the derivatives are usually counted based on the value of underlying hedge (notional value) which makes the valuation of the total derivatives market hard [i.e. I have a contract to buy 100 tons of rice in 6 months and someone else has a contract to sell 100 tons of rice in 6 months - the total derivatives value is 200 tons of rice at current market even though its the same 100 tons - over simplified but how it works]. You can actually have complex derivatives that use the same underlying instrument three or more times - each time counts the notional value.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can't remember where I posted the link and nobody picked up on it. The link was a graphic posting the values/where all the money is. Nobody latched onto the $450-$600 trillion in worldwide derivatives (depending on the year) or other startling figures that make our countries financial issues look like chump change.

The problem is that derivatives are hard to quantify. Offsetting derivatives can be counted twice or more but have the same instrument at the bottom of it. The value of the derivatives are usually counted based on the value of underlying hedge (notional value) which makes the valuation of the total derivatives market hard [i.e. I have a contract to buy 100 tons of rice in 6 months and someone else has a contract to sell 100 tons of rice in 6 months - the total derivatives value is 200 tons of rice at current market even though its the same 100 tons - over simplified but how it works]. You can actually have complex derivatives that use the same underlying instrument three or more times - each time counts the notional value.

The two of you...

:whistle:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I also said there were a number of things I agreed with Ron Paul on. :neener:

:lol:

xkcd: Money Chart

There is the chart.

Look at the elections section - that is enough to get any RP'er spinning and the price of on velociraptor. :buddies:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I also said there were a number of things I agreed with Ron Paul on. :neener:

:lol:

xkcd: Money Chart

There is the chart.

Look at the elections section - that is enough to get any RP'er spinning and the price of on velociraptor. :buddies:

I have been crusading about the income and expense economy we used to be, profit and loss, vs. the post Glass/Steagal model that is asset and liability or balance sheet driven model we use now and that chart is about all that is necessary to make the case for why we ought to go back to profit and loss and away from asset and liability.

Good lord.