Boat trailor

Anyone have one empty they might be willing to loan to me for a day or two? Son found a nice 25' custom sail boat the guy just left behind. I'd have to load it, haul it somewhere besides my house and put up on blocks. He has a couple places where he could store it.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 114
How long has it been out of the water?

No idea. My guess, a while. Son just got done working on another persons boat that had been left in FL for about 4 years. He said it was in much better shape than that one that had been sailing 4 years ago. Sails all that stuff, but then, he is a bit of an optomist. Plus he doesn't know much about sailboats.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
A wood boat out of water for several years....
You don't need a trailor, just a gallon of gas and a match. :lol:

You'll have to fill it with water and keep it full for several days to allow the wood to swell, drain the water and then try and float it

A wood boat out of water for several years....
You don't need a trailor, just a gallon of gas and a match. :lol:

You'll have to fill it with water and keep it full for several days to allow the wood to swell, drain the water and then try and float it

I'm thinking rain probably takes care of that somewhat? Good advice though. I'd rather have it light when I tow than heavy. After that, not my prob.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
the bottom and sides will need to soak for several days then you have to force caulking into the all the joints.

...and once you do all that and get it in the water, you'll discover the wood boring worms that live in the local salt water. The old lead based bottom paints used to do a fair job of keeping them out but the new enviromently friendly stuff doesn't do squat and you'll have to constantly repeat the process of replacing bottom boards, soaking and caulking.

Did I mention my grandfather used to have a wood skiff down on the Rappahanock?

the bottom and sides will need to soak for several days then you have to force caulking into the all the joints.

...and once you do all that and get it in the water, you'll discover the wood boring worms that live in the local salt water. The old lead based bottom paints used to do a fair job of keeping them out but the new enviromently friendly stuff doesn't do squat and you'll have to constantly repeat the process of replacing bottom boards, soaking and caulking.

Did I mention my grandfather used to have a wood skiff down on the Rappahanock?

Sounds like fun. I'll pass it on.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Holy smokes! That certainly looks like one of Phil Bolger's designs and well built at that. Phil is famous for his extensive portfolio of "gunkholers"; shallow-draft sailboats intened for exploring places a normal sialboat cannot get to.

And, fortunately, if I'm correct in identifying it, none of what Aps said would probably apply to that vessel. The modern wood contruction techniques used in building any of the P. Bolger or H. Payson designs (or Glen-L) use pywood with epoxy glue and coatings and epoxy-glass taped seams. Quite unlike the local standard of unbattened plank or carvel construction..which is indeed heavily dependent on a good caulk job and wood swollen tight.

But like all wood boats..the death of them is fresh water left to sit inside the hull or finding its way in to nooks and crevices from top side. Hope its not been sitting out uncovered for a long time..

Last edited:
Holy smokes! That certainly looks like one of Phil Bolger's designs and well built at that. Phil is famous for his extensive portfolio of "gunkholers"; shallow-draft sailboats intened for exploring places a normal sialboat cannot get to.

And, fortunately, if I'm correct in identifying it, none of what Aps said would probably apply to that vessel. The modern wood contruction techniques used in building any of the P. Bolger or H. Payson designs (or Glen-L) use pywood with epoxy glue and coatings and epoxy-glass taped seams. Quite unlike the local standard of unbattened plank or carvel construction..which is indeed heavily dependent on a good caulk job and wood swollen tight.

But like all wood boats..the death of them is fresh water left to sit inside the hull or finding its way in to nooks and crevices from top side. Hope its not been sitting out uncovered for a long time..

Good info, I'll know more later. No it was well covered.